• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Day of the Week Is The Sabbath?

reddogs

You have understand who the Creator is who made the Sabbath for man and who tells us that tradition doesn't override His truth. We cannot trust the traditions of men, nor in just mere human opinions. We need to read what scripture actually says, and understand what Christ Himself taught, so we accept His words as our final authority.

Jesus said, “For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath day.” Matthew 12:8.

Jesus was showing that He was the One who originally created Earth in six days, and rested on the seventh day. And the New Testament makes clear that Jesus is the Creator...

"All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that has been made." John 1:3

"He [Jesus] was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not". John 1:10

"God, who created all things by Jesus Christ." Eph. 3:9

"For by Him [Jesus] all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him." Col. 1:16

So scripture makes clear Jesus Christ is our Creator and also gave us the Sabbath for man not just the Jews.

"And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:"Mark 2:27

He created the weekly cycle of seven days which we have till this day. Not only did Jesus create the Sabbath but He makes clear it was the seventh day and Holy...

"For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." Exodus 20:11

"And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning." Exodus 16:23

Now you can check the scriptures and it will make clear the Sabbath is on Saturday, while Sunday is "the first day of the week". Jesus Christ regularly kept the Sabbath, taught much about the Sabbath, and clearly stated that He is "Lord even of the Sabbath day" (Mat. 12:8).

Jesus Christ never mentioned "the first day of the week" even one time. He taught nothing about it. The Sabbath continues after the cross (Luke 23:54-56) and was kept in the book of Acts by both Jews and Gentiles (Acts 13:42-44). There is no biblical authorization for the change of the Bible Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday.

God made the Sabbath at the beginning of the world (Gen. 2:1-3) before any Jews existed, to be a blessing to all people. Most importantly, it is a special sign that Jesus Christ is the true Creator of heaven and earth ( John 1:1-3, 10).

When the Son of God came, He kept the seventh day all His life. Luke 4:16 "And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read.¨ Thus Jesus followed His Father's example at creation. Shall we not be safe in following the example of both the Father and the Son?

Adam and Eve kept the Sabbath as Jesus makes clear as the Sabbath was made “for man” and when the Sabbath first came into the picture the only man alive then was Adam and his wife Eve. Therefore, the Sabbath was made for them, and for their offspring.

The understanding of the Law was given to man way before Moses as scripture makes clear...

"Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws." Genesis 26:5

The Ten Commandments were not part of Moses’ ceremonial law as scripture clearly shows and there was a clear distinction made between the Commandments and that of Moses’ book of the law.

Instead of abolishing the Sabbath, Jesus carefully taught how it should be observed.

"1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat.
2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;
4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.
9 And when he was departed thence, he went into their synagogue:
10 And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
13 Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other." Matthew 12:1-13.

You see that it clearly shows that Jesus is also known as the Lord of the Sabbath and it has been on the seventh day from Creation. Why be Lord of something you were going to abolish?

sooda

Veteran Member
You have understand who the Creator is who made the Sabbath for man and who tells us that tradition doesn't override His truth. We cannot trust the traditions of men, nor in just mere human opinions. We need to read what scripture actually says, and understand what Christ Himself taught, so we accept His words as our final authority.

Jesus was showing that He was the One who originally created Earth in six days, and rested on the seventh day. And the New Testament makes clear that Jesus is the Creator...

"All things were made by Him, and without Him was not anything made that has been made." John 1:3

"He [Jesus] was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not". John 1:10

"For by Him [Jesus] all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him." Col. 1:16

So scripture makes clear Jesus Christ is our Creator and also gave us the Sabbath for man not just the Jews.

"And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:"Mark 2:27

He created the weekly cycle of seven days which we have till this day. Not only did Jesus create the Sabbath but He makes clear it was the seventh day and Holy...

"For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." Exodus 20:11

"And he said unto them, This is that which the LORD hath said, To morrow is the rest of the holy sabbath unto the LORD: bake that which ye will bake to day, and seethe that ye will seethe; and that which remaineth over lay up for you to be kept until the morning." Exodus 16:23

Now you can check the scriptures and it will make clear the Sabbath is on Saturday, while Sunday is "the first day of the week". Jesus Christ regularly kept the Sabbath, taught much about the Sabbath, and clearly stated that He is "Lord even of the Sabbath day" (Mat. 12:8).

Jesus Christ never mentioned "the first day of the week" even one time. He taught nothing about it. The Sabbath continues after the cross (Luke 23:54-56) and was kept in the book of Acts by both Jews and Gentiles (Acts 13:42-44). There is no biblical authorization for the change of the Bible Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday.

God made the Sabbath at the beginning of the world (Gen. 2:1-3) before any Jews existed, to be a blessing to all people. Most importantly, it is a special sign that Jesus Christ is the true Creator of heaven and earth ( John 1:1-3, 10).

When the Son of God came, He kept the seventh day all His life. Luke 4:16 "And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up for to read.¨ Thus Jesus followed His Father's example at creation. Shall we not be safe in following the example of both the Father and the Son?

Adam and Eve kept the Sabbath as Jesus makes clear as the Sabbath was made “for man” and when the Sabbath first came into the picture the only man alive then was Adam and his wife Eve. Therefore, the Sabbath was made for them, and for their offspring.

The understanding of the Law was given to man way before Moses as scripture makes clear...

"Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws." Genesis 26:5

The Ten Commandments were not part of Moses’ ceremonial law as scripture clearly shows and there was a clear distinction made between the Commandments and that of Moses’ book of the law.

Instead of abolishing the Sabbath, Jesus carefully taught how it should be observed.

"1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn and to eat.
2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;
4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
10 And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
13 Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other." Matthew 12:1-13.

You see that it clearly shows that Jesus is also known as the Lord of the Sabbath and it has been on the seventh day from Creation. Why be Lord of something you were going to abolish?

Have you read this thread or did you just want to post a wall of text?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
The Jehovah’s Witnesses sect observes Saturdays as Sabbath. Their beliefs prohibit them to work during daytime on Sabbath day.Respecting the beliefs of the sect, the authorities have allowed the students to write the examination on Saturday nights. As per the schedule, two papers of the SSLC examinations fall on Saturdays.
Reference: www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/190336/jws-observe-saturday-sabbath
I’m sorry, but these are fabrications! You should go to the “horse’s mouth,” as they say, to get accurate information. That would be JW.org , or the search site, wol.jw.org .

Take care.

sooda

Veteran Member
I’m sorry, but these are fabrications! You should go to the “horse’s mouth,” as they say, to get accurate information. That would be JW.org , or the search site, wol.jw.org .

Take care.

My source above is Jehovahs Witness.com. Didn't you look? Is there a problem?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Really?

JWs observe Saturday as the Sabbath?

Here in Atlanta JW meet on Sunday and Wednesday.
Find a Meeting
Really. No sabbath is observed. (I know of several congregations who have their meetings on Saturday.)

The article got it wrong....the author meant SDA. Here’s an excerpt from it:

“Following this, two students of the Seventh Day Adventist Higher Secondary School, Karickom, Kottarakara, approached the Kerala High Court pleading that they be allowed to sit for the examinations on Saturday nights.”

No problem, tho....some get our two groups confused.

sooda

Veteran Member
Really. No sabbath is observed. (I know of several congregations who have their meetings on Saturday.)

The article got it wrong....the author meant SDA. Here’s an excerpt from it:

“Following this, two students of the Seventh Day Adventist Higher Secondary School, Karickom, Kottarakara, approached the Kerala High Court pleading that they be allowed to sit for the examinations on Saturday nights.”

No problem, tho....some get our two groups confused.

JW.ORG / OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES

https://www.jw.org/en/

The Anointed

John 3: 13; And no one has ever ascended to heaven except he who came down, even the Son of man who is in heaven

It was our Lord God and saviour, ‘The Son of Man,’ who came down and said to Moses in Deuteronomy 18: 18-19; “I will raise up for them a prophet just like you from among their own brethren; and I will put MY WORDS into his mouth, and I will punish anyone who does not Heed MY WORDS which he shall speak in MY NAME.”

Acts 17: 31; For the Lord has fixed a day [And that day is the Lords day of one thousand years, the great Sabbath, of which Paul says, is the future reality of which the weekly Sabbath was but a shadow]. The day in which, we read in Acts 17 31; “He will judge the whole world with Justice by means of a MAN he has CHOSEN. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising that MAN from death.”

From the Book of Jubilees 4: 30; "And He (Adam) lacked seventy years of one thousand years; for one thousand years are as one day in the testimony of the heavens and therefore was it written concerning the tree of knowledge: "On the day thou eat thereof ye shall die." For this reason, Adam did not complete the years of that first day; for He died during it." Adam died at the age of 930 in the first day.

The Great Sabbath, which is the future reality of the weekly Sabbath, is the seventh period of one thousand years (ONE DAY) from the first day in which Adam died at the age of 930. After which, [Great Sabbath] heavenly fire incinerates all physical life-forms on this planet, as prophesied in the book of Zephaniah.

GNB Catholic Study Edition…It was the prophet Zephaniah through whom the Lord said in 1: 2-3; "I am going to destroy everything 'ON EARTH', All human beings and animals, birds and fish. I will bring about the downfall of the wicked. I will destroy mankind and no survivors will be left. I the Lord have spoken. Verse 18:. . . . . . . . "On the day when the Lord shows his fury, not even all their gold and silver will save them. The whole 'EARTH' will be destroyed by the fire of his anger. He will put an end----a sudden end----to everyone who lives 'ON EARTH.' "

The Anointed

The Sanhedrin was not to convene at night. They broke the rules.

There were two towns named Bethlehem....the Bible states which one.

In prophesy Micah wrote...."But as for you, Bethlehem H1035 Ephrathah, H672
Too little H6810 to be among the clans H505 of Judah, H3063
From you One will go H3318 forth H3318 for Me to be ruler H4910 in Israel. H3478
H4163 forth H4163 are from long H6924 ago, H6924
From the days H3117 of eternity.”
H5769 (NASB) (from Strongs)

Genesis 35:19 indicates that Ephrathah was the place where Rachel was buried...also called Bethlehem.

The fixing of Jesus’ baptism in the year 29 C.E., when he was thirty years old, also establishes the date of his birth as the year 2 B.C.E., in the fall.

So you have Jesus being born two years after the death of Herod the Great in 4.B.C. Interesting?

sooda

Veteran Member
John 3: 13; And no one has ever ascended to heaven except he who came down, even the Son of man who is in heaven

It was our Lord God and saviour, ‘The Son of Man,’ who came down and said to Moses in Deuteronomy 18: 18-19; “I will raise up for them a prophet just like you from among their own brethren; and I will put MY WORDS into his mouth, and I will punish anyone who does not Heed MY WORDS which he shall speak in MY NAME.”

Acts 17: 31; For the Lord has fixed a day [And that day is the Lords day of one thousand years, the great Sabbath, of which Paul says, is the future reality of which the weekly Sabbath was but a shadow]. The day in which, we read in Acts 17 31; “He will judge the whole world with Justice by means of a MAN he has CHOSEN. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising that MAN from death.”

From the Book of Jubilees 4: 30; "And He (Adam) lacked seventy years of one thousand years; for one thousand years are as one day in the testimony of the heavens and therefore was it written concerning the tree of knowledge: "On the day thou eat thereof ye shall die." For this reason, Adam did not complete the years of that first day; for He died during it." Adam died at the age of 930 in the first day.

The Great Sabbath, which is the future reality of the weekly Sabbath, is the seventh period of one thousand years (ONE DAY) from the first day in which Adam died at the age of 930. After which, [Great Sabbath] heavenly fire incinerates all physical life-forms on this planet, as prophesied in the book of Zephaniah.

GNB Catholic Study Edition…It was the prophet Zephaniah through whom the Lord said in 1: 2-3; "I am going to destroy everything 'ON EARTH', All human beings and animals, birds and fish. I will bring about the downfall of the wicked. I will destroy mankind and no survivors will be left. I the Lord have spoken. Verse 18:. . . . . . . . "On the day when the Lord shows his fury, not even all their gold and silver will save them. The whole 'EARTH' will be destroyed by the fire of his anger. He will put an end----a sudden end----to everyone who lives 'ON EARTH.' "

It was our Lord God and saviour, ‘The Son of Man,’ who came down and said to Moses in Deuteronomy 18: 18-19;

Where does it say Jesus is speaking to Moses?

Do you think mental gymnastics are required of a believer? How do you force yourself to believe someone lived 930 years?

sooda

Veteran Member
In addition to paraphrasing and embellishing on Genesis, Jubilees also relates stories explaining the origin of contemporary Jewish laws and customs. An older (hence, to the Hellenistic mind, more sacred) origin is attributed to the Mosaic Law and many of the legal precepts in Leviticus by asserting that the patriarchs in Genesis observed laws and festivals that actually came into existence after the age of the patriarchs.

Jubilees,
in its final form, was likely written about 100 bc, though it incorporates much older mythological traditions. Its isolationist religious spirit and its strictness led the Essene sect of Jews at Qumrān in Palestine to quote extensively from it in the Damascus Document, one of their major works. Jubilees is also closely connected with the Genesis Apocryphon, which also parallels Genesis and was favoured by the Qumrān community. Several fragments of the original Hebrew edition of Jubilees were found in the Qumrān library.

Jubilees is preserved in its entirety only in an Ethiopic translation, which was derived from a Greek translation made from the Hebrew. Fragments of the Greek and Hebrew texts are also extant.

newsletter-icon-white-SM.png

The Anointed

It was our Lord God and saviour, ‘The Son of Man,’ who came down and said to Moses in Deuteronomy 18: 18-19;

Where does it say Jesus is speaking to Moses?

Do you think mental gymnastics are required of a believer? How do you force yourself to believe someone lived 930 years?

You really do prove to everyone that you are unable to comprehend anything that you read Don't you?

You ask; "Where does it say that Jesus is speaking to Moses?"

NOWHERE.

It was our Lord God and saviour, ‘The Son of Man,’ who came down and said to Moses in Deuteronomy 18: 18-19; "I will raise up for them a prophet just like you from among their own people: and I will put MY WORDS into his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him. And I will punish anyone who does not heed MY WORDS that he shall speak in MY NAME."

Peter confirms that Jesus was that man, when, concerning the man Jesus, he says in. Acts 3: 22; For Moses said; "The Lord your God will send you a prophet, just as he sent me, and he will be one of your own people, etc."

Did the people of his day believe that he was the Lord, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. The God of our ancestors? No, they did not, for on the day of his triumphant entry into Jerusalem, the people escorting him cried out, "BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD" Verifying that they believed Jesus to be the one that God had promised that he would choose from among the Israelites, and send to the people to speak in his name, the one through who he would reveal himself to mankind..

You, who said; "Where does it say Jesus is speaking to Moses? Also said; "Do you think mental gymnastics are required of a believer?

No! I do not think mental gymnastics are required of a believer? As long as they have the mental capacity to be able to comprehend, ''unlike yourself, that which they have read.

Where does it say that Jesus is speaking to Moses? Good heavens, where do you come from.

sooda

Veteran Member

Notice the small p as opposed to a capital P?

The Anointed

Notice the small p as opposed to a capital P?

Not really interested in you biblical bashings, only in your total inability to comprehend that which you have read, which then, in your ignorance to what has been said, You attack.

Nighty night grandma.

sooda

Veteran Member
Not really interested in you biblical bashings, only in your total inability to comprehend that which you have read, which then, in your ignorance to what has been said, You attack.

Nighty night grandma.

Lower case "p" because Judaism does not have any figure who is considered to be the Prophet. Prophet in singular, b/c that's what makes grammatical and contextual sense.

But the meaning of it is that every generation will have a prophet, so it's really referring to multiple prophets.

You never think, do you?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Tradition has it that Jesus rose on Sunday morning. Tradition has it that Saturday is the Sabbath for Jews and some Christian denominations.

Where in scripture does it say Monday morning or Tuesday?

I believe for doctors it used to be Wednesday and they could be found worshiping a white ball on the golf course.