1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Which Day of the Week Is The Sabbath?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by sooda, Mar 29, 2019.

1. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,129
    Religion:
    Christian
    Link was already posted.. Babylonians and Persians and Assyrians all kept Sabbath before there were any Jews.

John’s account says that Jesus died before the Passover meal while Mark’s account places Jesus’ death after the Passover meal. It is claimed by these sites that these two accounts do not agree and must therefore be false. However, this apparent disagreement disappears once we understand what actually takes place during the Passover.

Bible Contradiction: Did Jesus Die Before or After the Passover?

#21 sooda, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  2. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,129
    Religion:
    Christian
    And by many other cultures before there were any Jews.. Did you bother to read the lead article?

Bible Contradiction: Did Jesus Die Before or After the Passover?

What Day of the Week Was Christ Crucified?

3. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,669
    For me, it is not credible that anyone could go back to the day that the Creator rested and figure out what that would be "Today". Choose a day for Sabbath and try to be consistent. I can't take anyone who makes those demands seriously.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,129
    Religion:
    Christian
    I think the people who get most exercised about the "Sabbath" are groups like 7th Day Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses.

I always went to church on Friday mornings myself.

5. shmogie

shmogie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +915
    Religion:
    Christian
    Ol Garner Ted has recanted on so much of what his pop believed, maybe this too. Any way, they were both wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  6. shmogie

Ratings:
    +915
    Religion:
    Christian
    None of your links work. unfortunately.

The Passover was the foreshadow of Christ, spilled blood preventing death.

It is irrelevant whether His sacrifice was before or after the Passover.

If there are inconsistencies in the accounts on some minor points, critics say they are false because they don´t align exactly.

Yêt if they did, the critics would say, using the word of the day, collusion, was present which makes the accounts untrue.

7. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +12,377
    Religion:
    Atheist

Actually it is Friday and though an evening meal of spaghetti and meatballs is traditional it is not mandatory. Any pasta based entree will do. As long as there is plenty of it. Oh, and beer. Did I forget to mention beer? Ramen.

Flying Spaghetti Monster | Description, History, & Facts

• Like Like x 1
  8. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,129
    Religion:
    Christian
    Passover is a story from the Exodus. They would not have a body hanging on a crucifix during a high holy day.

9. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +12,377
    Religion:
    Atheist
    They work fine for me. Perhaps your computer has a censor of some sort. Are you using any filtering software?

• Like Like x 1
  10. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,129
    Religion:
    Christian
    In Arabia we went to Sunday school and church on Friday.

11. Ellen Brown

Ellen Brown Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,669
    Muslims do Friday, Jews do Friday night and Saturday, SAs do Saturday, and Christians do Sunday. Maybe I'll start a religion and do Wednesday? :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kapalika

Kapalika EDM dancing gaygirl mystic
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,384
    Religion:
    Shaivism & LHP
    Every day if you are lazy enough.

13. shmogie

Ratings:
    +915
    Religion:
    Christian
    The Exodus had not started at the time of the Passover. A crucifix? You mean a cross ? The first Passover was all about blood, and it wasn´t yet a high holy day. Do you think the celebration of the Passover after the first, they would have smeared blood all over their doorway´s ?

14. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,129
    Religion:
    Christian
    That's what the Passover commemorates.

15. QuestioningMind

QuestioningMind Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,602
    Yet ANOTHER example of what a horribly ineffective communicator this all-powerful all-knowing God happens to be. All of the believers agree that God wants them to rest at the end of the week, but SOMEHOW God failed to make it crystal clear exactly WHEN the week ends. Seems like a rather important detail, considering you have a God telling people they should kill those who sinfully work on the Sabbath.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. rrobs

rrobs Active Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Religion:
    Christian
    That God rested on the seventh day is certain. Equally certain is God commanded Israel to rest on the seventh day. But there is yet another certainty that is true since Christ rose from the dead: we are no longer under the law. We are no longer bound by the law of the Sabbath.

Rom 14:5,

One doth judge one day above another, and another doth judge every day [alike]; let each in his own mind be fully assured.​

Col 2:16,

Let no one, then, judge you in eating or in drinking, or in respect of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths,
    Ultimately the entire OT was about Jesus (Luke 24:27, John 5:29). It was his assignment to follow it to the letter. That included the Sabbath. Israel was less than perfect in that regard and, as evidenced by this post, Christians are not even in agreement as to which day it is. But that's not all. Few, if any, actually follow the letter of the Sabbath law. I think it is assumed that going to church on whatever day one thinks is the Sabbath is enough. That falls as short of the requirement as the Jews fell short.

Bottom line, Jesus fulfilled that law to the letter as he did every other law. He never once sinned. Not bad for a man with free will and who was tempted just like the rest of us! But I digress. When Jesus uttered his last words, "it is finished" he entered into the true Sabbath rest that God intended all along.

Heb 4:10,

for he (Jesus) who did enter into his rest, he also rested from his works, as God from His own.
    Hebrew 4:1-11 is a good read for those interested in the true Sabbath, which has nothing to day with a certain day of the week. At least that's the way it is in this age of grace.

• Like Like x 1
  17. InChrist

InChrist Free4ever

Ratings:
    +1,173
    Most Christians do not consider the Sabbath an integral part of the Christian life at all, but gather and worship on Sunday, the first day of the week when Jesus rose from the dead. Rest is found everyday, all the time for the believer in Jesus Christ. But the Jews know the Sabbath is the seventh day because it is a sign of the covenant between Israel and God.

Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed. Ex. 31:16-17

18. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,129
    Religion:
    Christian
    For Egyptians the week was ten days long (tp ra mD in hieroglyphs, literally "upon 10 days") and every tenth day was a non-working day.

This only applied to the peasant classes, however, since every day was a non-working day for the nobility.

19. MJFlores

MJFlores Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235
    Religion:
    Iglesia Ni Cristo (Church of Christ)
    John 19:31 New International Version (NIV)
    Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath. Because the Jewish leaders did not want the bodies left on the crosses during the Sabbath, they asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies taken down.

Mark 15:34 New International Version (NIV)
    And at three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”).

1st day Friday 3:00 pm to Saturday 3:00 pm

2nd day Saturday 3:00 pm to Sunday 3:00 pm

3rd day Sunday 3:00 pm to Monday 3:00 pm

Mark 9:31 New International Version (NIV)

because he was teaching his disciples. He said to them, “The Son of Man is going to be delivered into the hands of men. They will kill him, and after three days he will rise.”

Now that is in the Bible. Which should we follow? Tradition or the word of God?

Mark 7:9 New International Version (NIV)
    And he continued, “You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!

20. sooda

sooda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,129
    Religion:
    Christian
    Where is the contradiction? Jesus was taken down after 3 PM on Friday and before the start of the Sabbath. John was not writing to a Jewish audience.. He was probably referring to Roman time.