• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which common religions believe someone is born pure?

L.W.N

Also uncommon religions that would match, if you know of any.

I believe that each one of us is born pure of heart. I believe that each of us is gifted with a spirit that is given directly from the Creator as pure. A spirit that is a tiny piece of the Divine's own loving spirit. This would preclude the notion of karmic reincarnation, original sin, etc.

Looking upon the beliefs that I hold in my heart, I find that this is THE major point of my faith.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Well I believe in reincarnation, so no, we do not come into one life with a clean slate.

'Pure of heart' is too poetic/ambiguous for me to use as a basis for explaining my position so I won't use it.

My belief is this: the soul begins its journey in a neutral state of Consciousness. With each life, this Consciousness evolves. It becomes liberated from material nature at the point of Realisation; that is, when the individual realises God and Self. Before then, our behaviour and perspective is clouded by ignorance.

The soul is Spirit, and Spirit is 'pure'. So the individual is always 'pure', in every stage of the journey. We just don't realise it yet and as a result we become conditioned by material existence.

idea

Question Everything
I am LDS, and we believe that you are born clean/pure/innocent. This is why children do not need to be baptised, children are innoent, if they die young without baptism, they go straight to the highest heaven.

In order to commit a sin, you have to understand what you are doing. If you don't know any better, it isn't a sin. Children do not have enough knowledge/experience to sin, so they are innocent.

(Pearl of Great Price | Articles of Faith1:2)
2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.

(Old Testament | Deuteronomy24:16)
16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

(Guide to the Scriptures | IInfant Baptism.:Entry)
INFANT BAPTISM. See also Account, Accountable, Accountability; Baptism, Baptize-Baptism not for infants; Child, Children; Salvation–Salvation of children
The unnecessary practice of baptizing babies and children who are under the age of accountability, which is eight years old. The Lord condemns infant baptism (Moro. 8:10–21). Children are born innocent and without sin. Satan has no power to tempt children until they begin to become accountable (D&C 29:46–47) so they have no need to repent or be baptized. Children should be baptized at the age of eight (D&C 68:25–27).

(Guide to the Scriptures | SSalvation.:Salvation of children)
Salvation of children: Except ye become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven, Matt. 18:3. Little children also have eternal life, Mosiah 15:25. Infant baptism is an abomination, and little children are alive in Christ because of the Atonement, Moro. 8:8–24. Little children are redeemed through the Only Begotten; Satan cannot tempt them, D&C 29:46–47. Children are to be taught the gospel and baptized when eight years old, D&C 68:25–28. Little children are sanctified through Jesus Christ, D&C 74:7. Men become again, in their infant state, innocent, D&C 93:38. All children who die before the age of accountability are saved in the celestial kingdom, D&C 137:10. Children are whole from the foundation of the world, Moses 6:54.

Well I believe in reincarnation, so no, we do not come into one life with a clean slate.

We believe that our spirits existed in heaven before we came to earth, so we do not believe that life starts at birth either... but when we are born, we are given a new start, a new chance, a clean slate.

TJ73

Islam is based on individual responsibility. We denounce the concept of original sin. Every person will be brought to account for all the good and the bad they did. We are also taught that in such accounting the good is exponential increased and the bad counted as it stands.We do believe in Adam and Eve, but unlike modern Biblical teachings, we believe they both had their own part to play in their individual loss of innocence.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Aren't all born innocent as in sinless meaning not yet committing a sin?

But as a parent knows at birth that the child's leanings will be toward imperfection.
The parent already knows the child will not remain sinless.

Because of human imperfection we all die and will continue to die until the time of Jesus 1000-year reign over earth when Jesus ushers in Peace on Earth toward men of goodwill.

Onkara

Illumination.
it believes in the agnostic birth of humans and other specie.

Is illumination a religion in the sense that more than one person holds a set of beliefs under that name or is it how you explain your own way and goal?

Not sure how to word that without making it sound over simple.

Baha'is believe that the soul is a clean slate at birth and has a tendency towards good, but the lack of education and of virtues brings the human into primitivism.

And as a Unitarian Universalist, I do believe that no one is inherently bad. The first principle is the inherent worth and dignity of every human being, and thus everyone should see each other in an equal light!

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
What do you want to call purity? That's pretty subjective. My faith teaches we're just born humans. Good or bad, take it how you like.

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Is illumination a religion in the sense that more than one person holds a set of beliefs under that name or is it how you explain your own way and goal?

Not sure how to word that without making it sound over simple.
There are many religions that give themselves the nickname "illumination" Christians and Buddhists, and perhaps hindus and others.
and many organizations such as the illuminati.
however, for now, my illumination is the best hope i hold for this world...and i assume it is inspired by God as the core truth of the human reality.
Illumination being the religious form of agnosticism, in my thoughts.
all of my friend's have held, or would likely hold, my opinion as ridiculous and overly idealistic...so for now, i am rightly the only follower of religious agnosticism...more of a philosophy really.

Onkara

Sounds quite complicated. Do you hold then that God is still not be known (agnosticism) however there is a core truth that can be known?

Luminous

non-existential luminary
Sounds quite complicated. Do you hold then that God is still not be known (agnosticism) however there is a core truth that can be known?
yes, agnosticism of self. i'm assuming of others as well
I exist in some form....specifically an agnostic form.
the other aspects of my existance such as other thoughts and dessires are not purtenant to religionous views, im assuming.

Last edited:

Mintz

La Illaha IlAllah
In Islam, everyone is born pure and sin-free. Unlike in Christianity where babies are born with original sin, which in my point of view makes no sense.

At a certain age of maturity we start choosing good or evil. This is when we gain sin or good deeds. All children are innocent and pure and ALL children are considered muslims because they are in automatic submission to God. They aren't held accountable for their actions. The same goes to all living things on earth other than humans and jinns being muslims. They act on instincts that the creator gave them and are automatically in submission to the creator. They don't choose good or evil.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Judaism also believes that each is born innocent of any blame, that each is responsible for his own actions, not those of your ancestors.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
In Islam, everyone is born pure and sin-free. Unlike in Christianity where babies are born with original sin, which in my point of view makes no sense.

Christianity says that children are born with a clean slate, so to speak, but at birth every parent know the child's leanings will be toward imperfection.

So 'original sin', sin or imperfection inherited from father Adam, is passed down to all, and all of us are imperfect.

If we could stop sinning we would not die. Since we can not stop sinning,
no matter how hard one tries, then we need someone to help us.

We die because we sin. We can not resurrect oneself or another so we need that someone who can do that for us. Jesus is the resurrection for us.
-Romans 6v7,23; Acts 24v15

Last edited by a moderator:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

I believe that each one of us is born pure of heart. I believe that each of us is gifted with a spirit that is given directly from the Creator as pure. A spirit that is a tiny piece of the Divine's own loving spirit. This would preclude the notion of karmic reincarnation, original sin, etc.

Looking upon the beliefs that I hold in my heart, I find that this is THE major point of my faith.
Okay, this is going to be scary: Mormons. We believe that every child born on this earth is born clean and pure, without sin of any kind. We believe we are the literal spirit offspring of God, who is our Father in Heaven. We are created in His image, after His likeness. One LDS prophet went so far as to say, "We are gods in embryo."

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

If born 'pure of heart' what would then cause the pure heart to become unpure?
I think parents know at birth a child's leanings will be toward imperfection not a pure heart.

What if beliefs held in the heart are not based on Bible knowledge?
Jeremiah [17v9] looked upon the heart as deceitful and desperately wicked who can know it? Isn't a treacherous heart a traitor within us because if we make decisions by what the heart dictates then afterwards the heart gives us all the reasons why we should not have done that it in the first place?
However, if faith is based on what the Bible really teaches then can't the heart be a trusted seat of motivation for one's faith?