• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which caused which?

Jonathan Bailey

Did the popularity of beards drive the price of premium disposable shaving cartridges sky high or did the high price of such shaving equipment cause men to give up being clean-shaven?

Did Gillette have to jack its good-quality razor cartridge prices way up on account of lost revenue due to the current beard fashion? Are low-income men who hate to wear beards suffering because of this?

For me, premium disposable cartridges mean Gillette Mach-whatever or Fusion. These stupid things can retail anywhere from 4 to 5 bucks for one cartridge. IMHO, they should not cost the consumer more than 1 dollar per cartridge in these times.

Did Gillette corporation jack these things up for high profit? Did they jack these things up to promote beard wearing?

Suffice it to say, low-income men who prefer to be clean-shaven while not tearing their face up are worst hurt. Very few American men have the skills, time or patience to master a double edge or a straight edge. I want solid shaving convenience, comfort, safety and speed. An electric is still more irritating than good-quality cartridge, the likes of which are pathetically $4.00+ dollars a copy these days. Any electric (Braun, Remington, Norelco) won't dare match the closeness of a good cartridge to boot, especially on my neck. Electrics generate a lot of irritation by having to go over and over and over again to try to get stubborn hairs. I use rubbing alcohol as pre-electric because Williams Lectric Shave is priced way to high for me. $5+ for dinky bottle of that green stuff. The Lectric Shave does a much better job of making the beard stand up than plain alcohol and lubes the face much better to boot. There is a closer electric shave with less irritation with Lectric Shave.

Nothing shaves as close with such safety and comfort as a high-end multi-bladed cartridge. Nothing is convenient and easy to use like a good cartridge for a decently-close shave. Gillette Trac II was the ultimate in the 1970's. My father promptly threw away his double edge as soon as Trac II hit the market circa 1970. Schick Super II competed with Gillette. Atra then came in the 1980's with a pivot then in the 1990's came Sensor followed by 3-plus blade Mach followed by Fusion in the 2010's. I don't know what advantage Sensor had over Atra.

Electrics never get so close and double edges are prone to many bad cases of GOTCHA! Cheap twin bladed razors tug the beard like a freight train locomotive.

I have a wire beard and sensitive mug. Even with one brand-new Fusion cartridge, I can get 5 GOOD shaves at best. That's a dollar a shave in blade consumption costs alone!

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
Did the popularity of beards drive the price of premium disposable shaving cartridges sky high or did the high price of such shaving equipment cause men to give up being clean-shaven?

Did Gillette have to jack its good-quality razor cartridge prices way up on account of lost revenue due to the current beard fashion? Are low-income men who hate to wear beards suffering because of this?

For me, premium disposable cartridges mean Gillette Mach-whatever or Fusion. These stupid things can retail anywhere from 4 to 5 bucks for one cartridge. IMHO, they should not cost the consumer more than 1 dollar per cartridge in these times.

Did Gillette corporation jack these things up for high profit? Did they jack these things up to promote beard wearing?

Suffice it to say, low-income men who prefer to be clean-shaven while not tearing their face up are worst hurt. Very few American men have the skills, time or patience to master a double edge or a straight edge. I want solid shaving convenience, comfort, safety and speed. An electric is still more irritating than good-quality cartridge, the likes of which are pathetically $4.00+ dollars a copy these days. Any electric (Braun, Remington, Norelco) won't dare match the closeness of a good cartridge to boot, especially on my neck. Electrics generate a lot of irritation by having to go over and over and over again to try to get stubborn hairs. I use rubbing alcohol as pre-electric because Williams Lectric Shave is priced way to high for me. $5+ for dinky bottle of that green stuff. The Lectric Shave does a much better job of making the beard stand up than plain alcohol and lubes the face much better to boot. There is a closer electric shave with less irritation with Lectric Shave.

Nothing shaves as close with such safety and comfort as a high-end multi-bladed cartridge. Nothing is convenient and easy to use like a good cartridge for a decently-close shave. Gillette Trac II was the ultimate in the 1970's. My father promptly threw away his double edge as soon as Trac II hit the market circa 1970. Schick Super II competed with Gillette. Atra then came in the 1980's with a pivot then in the 1990's came Sensor followed by 3-plus blade Mach followed by Fusion in the 2010's. I don't know what advantage Sensor had over Atra.

Electrics never get so close and double edges are prone to many bad cases of GOTCHA! Cheap twin bladed razors tug the beard like a freight train locomotive.

I have a wire beard and sensitive mug. Even with one brand-new Fusion cartridge, I can get 5 GOOD shaves at best. That's a dollar a shave in blade consumption costs alone!

It is so nice having nothing to shave!

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה

Let’s try this again shall we?

Just about every month P&G has coupons in Sunday newspapers for $3 or $4 off Gillette disposal razors which includes Mach3.

For whatever reason, the disposables are cheaper than buying refill cartridges. If you like you can always pull the cartridge off the disposable handle and put in on your handle.

Go to your local branch of the discount store that starts with a “W”. Even without a coupon a 3 pack of Mach3 disposable will run you less than $8. That’s less than $2.70 a blade. And if you have a $3 coupon, that equals a $1 off each blade.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I prefer Bic Sensitive, which is quite inexpensive. Because my hair is very thin (common amongst Swedes), I can get at least one month on one razor.

Jonathan Bailey

Just about every month P&G has coupons in Sunday newspapers for $3 or $4 off Gillette disposal razors which includes Mach3.

For whatever reason, the disposables are cheaper than buying refill cartridges. If you like you can always pull the cartridge off the disposable handle and put in on your handle.

Go to your local branch of the discount store that starts with a “W”. Even without a coupon a 3 pack of Mach3 disposable will run you less than $8. That’s less than $2.70 a blade. And if you have a $3 coupon, that equals a $1 off each blade.

That's beside the point. Why aren't Fusion or even Mach 3 cartridges no more than a dollar a piece as they should be? My thread is not about what is available. It's about WHAT ISN'T available for a certain PRICE. I'M TRYING TO UNRAVEL THE PRICE CONSPIRACY HERE.

Last edited:

Jonathan Bailey

I prefer Bic Sensitive, which is quite inexpensive. Because my hair is very thin (common amongst Swedes), I can get at least one month on one razor.
That helps me none. My beard is like wire even for a white boy and my skin is sensitive to boot. I'm being screwed in America by Big Shaving Equipment (modeled after Big Oil and Big Tobacco). Back up until about 2007, premium disposable cartridges were still reasonable. After that they were fairly easy to shoplift from Walmart until they started to hire loss prevention goons, put cameras in stores and/or lock these things up.

Galateasdream

You must be rich then.

Not really. It costs about £8 and I get it done maybe 3 times a year. I might also pay £5 to get a barber electric shave about another 3 times a year.

To keep my growth in check between those times I use cheap disposables, at about £2 a bag. They probably last about 6 weeks. I also shave my body hair, arms, legs etc with them.

Probably spend about £60 year, I guess.

Jonathan Bailey

I don't think disposables have the all-important pivot head. Gillette and my local retailers once offered me everything I liked and needed for shaving at a price that was agreeable to me up until about the year 2007.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I gave up wet shaving when I developed Essential Tremor in my hands.
I was losing too much blood.
After wasting money on the top of the range Chinese made Remington electric razors which are worse than useless, I settled on German made Braun Razors which give very nearly as good as shave as a wet blade. and I only need to charge it once a month. New cutters cost about £25 every couple of years.
Since I moved to Braun both my Son in law and Grand son have bought them too.
They cut the hair well below the skin level so do as good a job as a blade. the new models cut much faster with the new li ion batteries.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That's beside the point. Why aren't Fusion or even Mach 3 cartridges no more than a dollar a piece as they should be? My thread is not about what is available. It's about WHAT ISN'T available for a certain PRICE. I'M TRYING TO UNRAVEL THE PRICE CONSPIRACY HERE.

The science, research and engineering involved to create a 3 or 5 blade razor to provide a good shave is not cheap. Also Gillette et-al are not in it as a charity, they need to make a handsome profit to keep their shareholders happy.

You want a cheap shave buy a cheap razor and a box of sticking plasters, you want a decent shave, invest.

Galateasdream

How much is laser treatment to perma kill face hair?
Might work out cheaper for you in the long run, if you really like a smooth face.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I'M TRYING TO UNRAVEL THE PRICE CONSPIRACY HERE.
It's called Capitalism.
The company has decided that the price will get them the best profits, even though they'd sell more units if the price were lower.
But they are capitalists, they don't give a whit about you or your problems.
Tom

Terry Sampson

I can get 5 GOOD shaves at best.
Kid, for fussing so much over shaving and appearances, you better be one fine-looking young man. Try wet-shaving till you can't hold a razor straight any more. By that time you should be old enough, you're not going to be pretty no matter how much time and money you put into trying to look pretty.

Barber Shaving Kit Set Straight Razor Shaving Brush Strop Wooden Box Father Gift | Wish

Screenshot_2020-01-20 ).png