• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which came first? The reptile or the egg?

Youtellme

Watching QI this week, Stephen Fry explained the old "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" chestnut. He said that chickens evolved from reptiles and as reptiles lay eggs, therefore the egg came before the chicken. So I'd like to take it further back and ask, which came first, the reptile of the egg?

outhouse

Atheistically
that would be the reptile

just do a search for who came first the chicken or the egg and youll get your answer.

first, no eggs, then came soft shelled eggs, then hard shelled eggs

Dezzie

Watching QI this week, Stephen Fry explained the old "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" chestnut. He said that chickens evolved from reptiles and as reptiles lay eggs, therefore the egg came before the chicken. So I'd like to take it further back and ask, which came first, the reptile of the egg?

Why don't you ask God that ques... Just kidding...

I really have no idea how to answer these questions. I'm thinking the reptile... if evolution is true then well... the reptile could have evolved from a smaller microscopic creature... furthermore evolving the egg laying ability. lol I have no idea. :p I'm going to just stop talking right now... before it gets more ridiculous.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
How exactly is an egg defined? Amphibians and even fish lay eggs, but those are not very much like the hard shelled eggs of birds and reptiles.

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
How exactly is an egg defined? Amphibians and even fish lay eggs, but those are not very much like the hard shelled eggs of birds and reptiles.
All vertebrates "lay eggs" for some definition of the term. Fish and amphibian eggs lack amnion, which is why they don't have shells and have to be in water. Most mammals have the amnion contained within the mother, so the "egg" is more-or-less the uterus.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I figgered this one out some time ago.
Answer: Egg.
Premises: At one point in time, there was a what we'd call an amphibian, & then a barely perceptible change which tipped the definitional scale to reptile.
That reptile came from an egg.

But seeing that our definitions of fauna evolving over hundreds of millennia are arbitrary & overly-specific regarding a single generational change, I'd say that neither & both were first..

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Eggs predate reptiles. All invertebrates lay eggs. Reptiles were the ones that introduced amnion and egg shells, allowing them to survive away from water.
Not so true. The Malaysian trumpet snails (Melanoides sp.) are livebearing snails. They don't lay eggs but give birth to young snails.

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
Not so true. The Malaysian trumpet snails (Melanoides sp.) are livebearing snails. They don't lay eggs but give birth to young snails.
That's a typo and was supposed to read "vertebrates". Many invertebrates reproduce through other means. Trees have seeds, for example.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The reptile? The egg?

Which reptile? Which egg?

:D

Midnight Pete

What predates the reptile?