• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which Book on demonology should I get?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I'm planning a book and I'd like to tie closely with a hierarchy of demons, based around something like Ars Goetia (Lesser Key of Solomon), Pseudomonarchia Daemonum, or a similar book. Basically I'm interested in finding descriptions of specific named demons, preferably in an encyclopedia-like list (but not necessarily).

I'm not restricting my interest to demonic hierarchy, but any content similar in concept (angelic hierarchy, magic, conjurations, etc).

I've been looking through the Barnes and Nobles website and came across some questions I hope someone could help me with:

How is The Lesser Key of Solomon different from The Key of Solomon (or The Greater Key of Solomon, assuming they are the same thing)? What does the former have that the latter doesn't and vice versa?

Does anyone know if this book compendium would be fitting for what I'm looking for: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/de-spiritus-angelus-various/1118630120?ean=9781926842769 And more importantly if it's in English?

From what I understand, the book I linked above includes this: Pseudomonarchia D monium Am I getting that right?

And: What do you think I should go with? Key of Solomon, Lesser Key, Pseudomonarchia Daemonum, De Spiritus Angelus, or something else entirely?

And yes, I prefer only what Barnes and Nobles sells on its site.

Thanks!

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
The Lesser Key of Solomon is the book that has the key rituals, many preparation details and demon descriptions and sigils, while the Greater Key mostly contains correspondences and rituals for specific purposes. The Pseudomnarchia Demonium, which is indeed in the other book you linked, is the primary source for the Lesser Key, although there are differences between to texts. The main problem I have with them is their archaic language in the demon descriptions was hardly updated (even through the borrowing) and the unnecessary emphasis of punishing the demons through God. The Lesser Key demon descriptions are actually on Wikipedia and you can find each demon's rank for entirely free: List of demons in the Ars Goetia - Wikipedia

S. Connolly's work is more digestible and more clearly describes the natures of the Ars Goetia demons if you're interested in Demonolatry specifically (the link is her modern Goetia): Daemonolatry Goetia