• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which are the least tax-friendly states?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The right loves to complain about taxes ignoring what taxes pay for. When I buy something, I'm willing to pay more if I receive something of greater value to me.
One could counter that the left just wants more taxes (paid by
someone else), regardless of whether service improves or not.

How's that for characterizing with the same level of fairness?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm not surprised. A city can avoid overlapping routes, & have more
economy of scale than when contractors compete in the same areas.
Also, contractors have to pay income tax, pay property tax, & pay for
their own facilities & management.
Hmmm...this does raise a question about lost revenue & subsidies when
the city takes over the function. It reminds me of how the local university
makes so much money from sports teams. They pay no property taxes,
the taxpayer pays for the facilities, & the players are unpaid.
In the interest of fair competition, colleges/government should be dealt with as a business if they perform business functions.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When you included "goods", that sounded like a business reference.
Government providing goods....when does that happen?
Services here in MI have been pretty bad, even when
we've had Democrat governors. We're usually a blue state.
Only the last election went to a Pub in recent times.

One good thing we have is treatment of trailers....
- One time licensing fee is good for as long as I own the trailer.
- No yearly inspections.
- No stopping at weigh stations if it's personal (generally).
I just hope I'm not driving behind some dilapidated, uninspected trailer some day when the tailgate falls off....;)

Government "goods" -- Food stamps, housing subsidies, re-education programs? There can be a lot of overlap, I guess.
I agree there are a lot of unnecessarily onerous regulations and restrictions. Government is convoluted and Byzantine.
This is a different issue, though. Taxes can provide or promote common commodities like education, healthcare, &c; services used by everyone, at costs much less than they could be bought from private, for-profit providers.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I just hope I'm not driving behind some dilapidated, uninspected trailer some day when the tailgate falls off....;)
Your real danger is people who don't know how to drive with trailers.
Government "goods" -- Food stamps, housing subsidies, re-education programs? There can be a lot of overlap, I guess.
"Goods" would be shoes, tires, ovens, & such.
Food stamps aren't goods....they're used to buy goods.
I agree there are a lot of unnecessarily onerous regulations and restrictions. Government is convoluted and Byzantine.
This is a different issue, though. Taxes can provide or promote common commodities like education, healthcare, &c; services used by everyone, at costs much less than they could be bought from private, for-profit providers.
The cost accounting used in comparing public vs private sourcing
doesn't account for subsidies to the former (in my experience
looking at such claims). Apples to apples comparison should
be done.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
But don't democrats also give you better bang for the buck; better goods and services; cheaper goods and services; goods and services that would be way more expensive if they were privatized and you had to buy them retail?
I would certainly like to know of a few.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I prefer my tax money not going to some government union shill to pay for a members 'free' boob job.

Buffalo, NY teachers can get unlimited plastic surgery; taxpayers foot the bill
You forgot to include this important bit
"We've told the district from the beginning of negotiations six or eight years ago that we're willing to give it up," said Philip Rumore, president of the teachers union, about the plastic surgery benefit, "so as long the district comes back to the table with us, it's gone." Police and firefighters in Buffalo have similar plastic surgery programs, but those departments are not dealing with the same financial problems as the economically challenged school system.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A few of these democrats, or a few of these goods and services? Clarify.
The organization and distribution of healthcare benefits. Mitch Daniels, former Eli Lilly executive and former governor of Indiana (Pence's predecessor), known for religious zeal in privitizung things, gave those functions to a private firm. It was such a disaster the state was forced to take it back.
This inherently means a private firm had access to information about thise receiving and applying for welfare benefits.
People are worried it'll be 1984 and thats what we need to fear, but it looks more like it'll be Robocop (the original/real one, where ethics are disregarded to nightmarish ends) that we need to worry about.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I prefer my tax money not going to some government union shill to pay for a members 'free' boob job.

Buffalo, NY teachers can get unlimited plastic surgery; taxpayers foot the bill
That story from 2012 noted this: It is the only school district in the country known to have such a cosmetic rider for teachers.

So can a single government entity do something stupid? Of course.

Is it a logical fallacy to generalize to all from a single instance? Yes, of course.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
ethics are disregarded

Trump and the Trump party and hordes of minions don't care about ethics one whit when they're violating any and all ethical norms. They'll of course fling poo at Democrats if it suits them but that's only part of the political power game they play.