• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which are the least tax-friendly states?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The list has some surprises. And there's of course a multitude of assumptions because of the variety of taxes, income, property etc. But it's food for thought anyway and it will surprise some no doubt about it.

Which are the least tax-friendly states in America?

To draw its conclusions, it used a hypothetical couple with two kids and $150,000 in income a year plus $10,000 in dividend income, and then looked at the income-, property- and sales-tax burden that family would face.

The 10 least tax-friendly states:
1. Illinois
2. Connecticut
3. New York
4. Wisconsin
5. New Jersey
6. Nebraska
7. Pennsylvania
8. Ohio
9. Iowa
10. Kansas

$

The 10 most tax-friendly states:
1. Wyoming
2. Nevada
3. Tennessee
4. Florida
5. Alaska
6. Washington
7. South Dakota
8. North Dakota
9. Arizona

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
The list has some surprises. And there's of course a multitude of assumptions because of the variety of taxes, income, property etc. But it's food for thought anyway and it will surprise some no doubt about it.

To draw its conclusions, it used a hypothetical couple with two kids and $150,000 in income a year plus $10,000 in dividend income, and then looked at the income-, property- and sales-tax burden that family would face.

1. Illinois
2. Connecticut
3. New York
4. Wisconsin
5. New Jersey
6. Nebraska
7. Pennsylvania
8. Ohio
9. Iowa
10. Kansas

$

1. Wyoming
2. Nevada
3. Tennessee
4. Florida
5. Alaska
6. Washington
7. South Dakota
8. North Dakota
9. Arizona
That particular scenario doesn't represent very much of the population...

from wikipedia: A key measure of household income is the "real median" statistic. "Real", indicating adjustment has been made for changes to the price of goods and services across time. "Median", indicating half of households have income above that level and half below. According to the U.S. Census, this measure was $63,179 for Americans in 2018. As compared to $62,626 in 2017 (a 0.9% increase to 2019), $58,811 in 2008 (a 7.4% increase), and $55,716 in 1988 (a 13.4% increase).[2]

Cooky

Veteran Member

1. Illinois
2. Connecticut
3. New York
4. Wisconsin
5. New Jersey
6. Nebraska
7. Pennsylvania
8. Ohio
9. Iowa
10. Kansas

$

1. Wyoming
2. Nevada
3. Tennessee
4. Florida
5. Alaska
6. Washington
7. South Dakota
8. North Dakota
9. Arizona

I'm not seeing California on the top 10 list. What's the meaning of this.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
As that is less than 10% of the American population this study seems to not be relevant or relative to most. A better picture world have been the average household with all average income. Not deciding what is best for the affluent is best for everyone else.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

1. Illinois
2. Connecticut
3. New York
4. Wisconsin
5. New Jersey
6. Nebraska
7. Pennsylvania
8. Ohio
9. Iowa
10. Kansas

$

1. Wyoming
2. Nevada
3. Tennessee
4. Florida
5. Alaska
6. Washington
7. South Dakota
8. North Dakota
9. Arizona
It seems that this is a bit skewed unless you also consider the value received for those taxes.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Pretty much what I'd expect. But keep in mind that this income level doesn't represent the average Joe.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

1. Illinois
2. Connecticut
3. New York
4. Wisconsin
5. New Jersey
6. Nebraska
7. Pennsylvania
8. Ohio
9. Iowa
10. Kansas

$

Here's why....

1. Illinois. (Democrat)
2. Connecticut (Democrat)
3. New York (Democrat)
4. Wisconsin (Democrat)
5. New Jersey (Democrat)
6. Nebraska (Republican)
7. Pennsylvania (Democrat)
8. Ohio (Republican)
9. Iowa (Republican)
10. Kansas (Democrat)

7 Democrats 3 Republicans.

That's why.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They oughta be. With a capital D.
But don't democrats also give you better bang for the buck; better goods and services; cheaper goods and services; goods and services that would be way more expensive if they were privatized and you had to buy them retail?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But don't democrats also give you better bang for the buck; better goods and services; cheaper goods and services; goods and services that would be way more expensive if they were privatized and you had to buy them retail?
You've found that businesses owned by Dems are better & cheaper than
businesses run by others? That would be a difficult thing to just know.
However, I have found that non-union businesses are better & cheaper.
This was with HVAC, electrical, & construction contractors.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm talking more about police and fire services, education, substance abuse services, housing subsidies, &c.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm talking more about police and fire services, education, substance abuse services, housing subsidies, &c.
When you included "goods", that sounded like a business reference.
Government providing goods....when does that happen?
Services here in MI have been pretty bad, even when
we've had Democrat governors. We're usually a blue state.
Only the last election went to a Pub in recent times.

One good thing we have is treatment of trailers....
- One time licensing fee is good for as long as I own the trailer.
- No yearly inspections.
- No stopping at weigh stations if it's personal (generally).

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In Peru, IN, the town was debating weekly trash removal. Private companies were just not able to collect as much garbage for as cheap as what the city could.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In Peru, IN, the town was debating weekly trash removal. Private companies were just not able to collect as much garbage for as cheap as what the city could.
I'm not surprised. A city can avoid overlapping routes, & have more
economy of scale than when contractors compete in the same areas.
Also, contractors have to pay income tax, pay property tax, & pay for
their own facilities & management.
Hmmm...this does raise a question about lost revenue & subsidies when
the city takes over the function. It reminds me of how the local university
makes so much money from sports teams. They pay no property taxes,
the taxpayer pays for the facilities, & the players are unpaid.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The right loves to complain about taxes ignoring what taxes pay for. When I buy something, I'm willing to pay more if I receive something of greater value to me.