• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which animals are clean and unclean?

heavenearth

Leviticus 11:9-12
King James Version

9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.

10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Deuteronomy 14:7-8
King James Version
7 Nevertheless these ye shall not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the cloven hoof; as the camel, and the hare, and the coney: for they chew the cud, but divide not the hoof; therefore they are unclean unto you.8 And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Leviticus 11:9-12
King James Version

9 These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.

10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Deuteronomy 14:7-8
King James Version
7 Nevertheless these ye shall not eat of them that chew the cud, or of them that divide the cloven hoof; as the camel, and the hare, and the coney: for they chew the cud, but divide not the hoof; therefore they are unclean unto you.8 And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase.
Christians don't follow all this. Surely you must know that, don't you?

heavenearth

Christians don't follow all this. Surely you must know that, don't you?
I know half the names of some animals:( God states that cud-chewing animals with split hooves can be eaten (Leviticus 11:3; Deuteronomy 14:6). These specifically include the cattle, sheep, goat, deer and gazelle families (Deuteronomy 14:4-5). He also lists such animals as camels, rabbits and pigs as being unclean, or unfit to eat (Leviticus 11:4-8). He later lists such "creeping things" as moles, mice and lizards as unfit to eat (Leviticus 11:29-31), as well as four-footed animals with paws (cats, dogs, bears, lions, tigers, etc.) as unclean (Leviticus 11:27).

He tells us that salt and freshwater fish with fins and scales may be eaten (Leviticus 11:9-12), but water creatures without those characteristics (catfish, lobsters, crabs, shrimp, mussels, clams, oysters, squid, octopi, etc.) should not be eaten.

God also lists birds and other flying creatures that are unclean for consumption (Leviticus 11:13-19). He identifies carrion eaters and birds of prey as unclean, plus ostriches, storks, herons and bats.

Birds such as chickens, turkeys and pheasants are not on the unclean list and therefore can be eaten. Insects, with the exception of locusts, crickets and grasshoppers, are listed as unclean (Leviticus 11:20-23).

Psalm23

I know half the names of some animals:( God states that cud-chewing animals with split hooves can be eaten (Leviticus 11:3; Deuteronomy 14:6). These specifically include the cattle, sheep, goat, deer and gazelle families (Deuteronomy 14:4-5). He also lists such animals as camels, rabbits and pigs as being unclean, or unfit to eat (Leviticus 11:4-8). He later lists such "creeping things" as moles, mice and lizards as unfit to eat (Leviticus 11:29-31), as well as four-footed animals with paws (cats, dogs, bears, lions, tigers, etc.) as unclean (Leviticus 11:27).

He tells us that salt and freshwater fish with fins and scales may be eaten (Leviticus 11:9-12), but water creatures without those characteristics (catfish, lobsters, crabs, shrimp, mussels, clams, oysters, squid, octopi, etc.) should not be eaten.

God also lists birds and other flying creatures that are unclean for consumption (Leviticus 11:13-19). He identifies carrion eaters and birds of prey as unclean, plus ostriches, storks, herons and bats.

Birds such as chickens, turkeys and pheasants are not on the unclean list and therefore can be eaten. Insects, with the exception of locusts, crickets and grasshoppers, are listed as unclean (Leviticus 11:20-23).

I remember seeing a list online about it.

Here is an article if you want to check it out.

[Infographic]: Which Animals Does the Bible Designate as 'Clean' and 'Unclean'?

There is a debate where some say Christian's need to follow the dietary laws in the Mosaic Law and some say that Christian's don't.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Wy are you wasting your time with this? The only people who worry about this are ultra-Orthodox Jews.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I'm curious as a Christian why you are focusing on the Old Testament laws as if they pertain to Christians? If Moses was good enough, then why did Jesus need to come along and teach a better way?

I suggest you read the entire chapter of Romans 14 for some insights into the importance, or lack of importance as it were, of observing days, and dietary laws as part of one's Christian faith. A brief excerpt from that chapter I'll include here:

"One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. 6 Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord. Whoever eats meat does so to the Lord, for they give thanks to God; and whoever abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. 7 For none of us lives for ourselves alone, and none of us dies for ourselves alone. 8 If we live, we live for the Lord; and if we die, we die for the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord."
Most Christians today, not having been raised in Jewish laws and customs, do not feel that observing Old Testament dietary laws and practices pertain spiritually to them. They don't see them as necessary. And according to scripture, such as the passage I just quoted, they don't need to. I'm curious are you adopting Old Testament law beliefs on top of Christian faith for a reason, or were you raised within them?

Psalm23

Acts 15 is a good chapter to look into as well as
1 Corinthians 10 . There are other verses to look into too. In any case, I leave it up to the individual. One person may feel fine eating any kind of food. Other person may not. I think it's best not to judge one another for what they decide to eat or not eat but instead to love one another.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I am from india i can't read half english bible i am christian 2021 but i want to study bible :(
OK. Then focus first on the New Testament, especially the the gospels. These contains the reported words of Christ and the Apostles that define what it is to be Christian. The Old Testament is just background reading, showing the history and ancestry of Christianity in Judaism and the earlier ideas about how God behaves and what is expected of mankind.

There are no dietary laws in Christianity.
The most we have are some customs, in certain Christian denominations, such as abstinence from meat on Fridays or giving up something during Lent.