• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where You Live, Which Economic Class Do You Fall Into?

Where you live, which economic class do you fall into?

• Upper class

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Upper-middle class

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Middle class

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Lower-middle class

Votes: 9 25.0%
  • Lower class/poverty

Votes: 7 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
In my country, some working-class people can earn a decent income compared to a considerable portion of the population through manual trades and labor. I presume this may be the case in some other countries too.

This is why I went with "upper," "lower," etc., instead of treating "working class" as synonymous with poverty.
Poverty is not synonymous with working class, as terms. Clearly the people who may be in poverty will be the working class but they are not equivalent terms. I, and just about everyone I know, are working class but are not (fortunately) in poverty. Poverty is a state of economic health, working class is a descriptor of "position" in society.

muhammad_isa

I voted "lower middle class", and am entitled to welfare benefits
[eg. rent allowance] as my only income is a minimum govt. retirement pension
here in the UK.

MikeF

Premium Member
Huh? Terminology? The majority of the UK are working class. No option for this? Upper, middle and working. The "poverty" option comes with the working class voting tory.

That's interesting. I think that is why very few in the US would consider themselves upper class as it seems to represent the holdover British concept of being best off simply by birth/birthright, of noble or aristocratic birth.

I think, although we use the term "class" in the US, we really think in terms of income brackets, which is informed by our income tax system. In the US, the ethos is we all work for what we have and therefore are all working class as in the British sense. Some folks just get paid a lot more for their time or have a big head start from accumulated generational wealth. "Managing" (and spending) trust fund assets is probably still seen as "work" in the minds eye of those fortunate few.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Poverty is not synonymous with working class, as terms. Clearly the people who may be in poverty will be the working class but they are not equivalent terms. I, and just about everyone I know, are working class but are not (fortunately) in poverty. Poverty is a state of economic health, working class is a descriptor of "position" in society.

Yeah, I know they're not synonymous, as I said. The poll is focused on economic status rather than one's work status in society, so I used terms accordingly.