• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where Were You...

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
11? Christian, church of England, trying hard to take in all that i could

22? Atheist

33? Ditto

44? Ditto

55? I'll tell you in a little over 2 years but i guess it'll be ditto

66? I'll see.

77? I'll hope to see

88? Maybe

99? Doubtful

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
..on your spiritual path at 11 years old? I was a Christian Protestant. Non denominational basically.

22? Same.

33? Same;.

44? Same but searching.

55? Roman Catholic.

Now - Roman Catholic.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Very interesting questions! I will answer them as honestly as I can. :)

...on your spiritual path at 11 years old?

At eleven I had no religious stance. Literally none. You could call that agnosticism, but I was oblivious to even that during this time.

Devoted Unitarian Universalist. Sympathetic to the Baha'i Faith. Had transhumanist spiritual beliefs though.

That's how old I am now! My transhumanist spiritual beliefs developed into Earthseed, and my theology decisively syntheist. I distanced myself from UUism and the Baha'i Faith in my late 20's, instead focusing on the core beliefs I had as epiphanies while I was 14.

44? 55? 66? 77? 88? 99?

Yet to happen. But I honestly don't think I'll make it to 99. My mental illness is too severe and I become allergic to the best meds for me too easily. I'll probably be dead between 60-70.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
At 11 I was aware that religiosity was somehow a taboo subject matter while also being spoken of as an important thing. There was Catholicism, there was something exotic called Protestantism, and there were sporadic mentions of Spiritism (Kardecism), Umbanda and Candomblé. Sometimes people spoke of JW, mainly on TV news, but apparently no one felt inclined to actually explain what they were.

At 22 I was openly atheistic despite having been pushed into Eucharisty around the age of 14. I took pains to be agnostic as well, because I perceived that as a big deal. I had recently left an occultist group (SAW Gnosticism) after a long but mixed participation.

At 33 I was something of a household name on religion and atheism forums. I had learned to value Dharma and sporadically frequented Buddhist centers as well, at one point deciding that a certain center keeper really ought to learn more about the religion that he was supposed to talk about lest he cause lasting damage (he has since retired). I was very, very atheistic.

At 44 I discovered anti-theism and, later, ignosticism and apatheism. I was on the verge of deciding that religiosity is something for people to take responsibiity for instead of using as an excuse to refuse responsibilities. My appreciation of Dharma as an ideal and approach towards religiosity had grown considerably. A few years later I decided that just because some movements are widely regarded as religions it did not follow that I should follow suit. Around the same time I became convinced that laicism and secularism are very much good and necessary things, not least because they are necessary to protect religions. IIRC it was around this time that I had a brief and ultimately fruitless contact with the Bahai Faith.

Currently (not quite 55) I am very, very atheistic indeed. I don't think I could not be an atheist if I felt the need to try. I have indeed come to wonder how often can people be real theists as opposed to people who have learned to claim belief to satisfy social expectations.

I am adamant that atheism is not only not opposed to religiosity, but actually rather benefitial to it. I have no issue pointing out that many movements - even very well-known and influential ones - that dearly expect to be recognized as religions simply are not. I have learned to value individual discernment and insight over adherences. And I wonder how come there are so few people aware of ignosticism.

Last edited: