• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where Were You...

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
...on your spiritual path at 11 years old?

22?

33?

44?

55?

66?

77?

88?

99?

Be as specific or general as you like.

Myself, at 11, I was attending CCD and identified as Catholic, but around this time beginning to realize the religion didn't align with my views, having recently been told by a nun that animals did not go to Heaven.

22 - Agnostic

33 - Agnostic

44 - Neo-Pagan

55 - Hindu

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

22?

33?

44?

55?

66?

77?

88?

99?

Myself, at 11, I was attending CCD and identified as Catholic, but around this time beginning to realize the religion didn't align with my views, having recently been told by a nun that animals did not go to Heaven.

22 - Agnostic

33 - Agnostic

44 - Neo-Pagan

55 - Hindu

I think it was when I was 11 that the 'Good News Club' lady tried to recruit me for a child... missionary? I don't know what the proper term was. Basically, I'd go to camps, and learn how to preach the gospel to other kids. I asked something with the phrase "me and Tammy..." and she cut me off. "Oh, no. Tammy isn't invited to this. I don't think she'll be right for it." I was a quiet and thought a lot. Tammy was an extremely hyper child that was hopped up on Mountain Dew and impulse. I politely thanked the woman for her offer, but told her if Tammy couldn't come, I wasn't interested. (I think my loyalty rewarded me more than I was aware at the time.)

At 22, I was fighting to keep some kind of religiousness to me despite the abusive man I lived with. I was firmly in my Pagan years at this time, and while he wasn't religious, he was raised Catholic, and felt 'normal' people expressed religion through Christianity only. I had to hide any religious impulse I had from him, because hearing his insults at something that was so dear to me hurt a lot. I read on religious topics when I could afford a book. Sat outside at night. Prayed quietly to my Gods.

At 33, I was learning what it meant (to me) to be Hindu. After having an odd experience with Krishna sometime earlier, I was learning about the practices of Hinduism, the festivals, the practices, the sects. I latched on to the Mahabharata, and chose my son's name(who I was pregnant with at the time) from it. We also bought our first home at this time, and I had fun 'directing' my husband with constructing altars for our new home(because I was a miserable lump when I was pregnant).

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member

11 Christian

22 Christian

33 Baha'i

44 Baha'i

55 Baha'i

Grew up Christian attending Church. Was an agnostic nominal Christian in my teens and reconnected with my Christian roots aged 21. From 21 - 26 explored alternative view points including atheism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Baha'i while still a nominal Christian. At 26 joined the Baha'i Faith. That was over 30 years ago.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
11 - Catholic, although I didn't believe all Catholic doctrines. I never really accepted Trinitarianism, for instance. I also didn't see God as good. My perspective of God bordered on Deism, aside from the fact that I believed I would face divine judgment according to his laws after death. I did believe in a literal Adam and Eve and a literal Noah's Flood, though, and that the road to Heaven was extremely narrow. I was constantly afraid that some stray thought of mine would condemn me to an eternity of hellfire.

This was due to spending a good portion of my youth in Catholic school, but going to a fundamentalist-leaning Baptist church on Sundays. I was raised on a great variety of Christian media. I didn't fully realize that many of the other people I went to school with were not Christian, because I assumed it was general knowledge. Looking back, this lead to me being unintentionally insensitive if not outright incendiary. I was a little bit of a crusader. I wanted to be a warrior of God and to fight at the side of angels against the forces of evil.

22 - Gnostic, specifically a Neo-Sethian Alchemist. My fear of Hell drove me to search for the correct Christian denomination, which sent me on a lengthy journey studying everything from Rastafarianism to Swedenborgianism to Rosicrucianism. Most modern Christian denominations arose out of the proto-Orthodox Church, was patently false about pretty much everything it taught.

Aside from Trinitarianism being impossible, the proto-Orthodox Church taught a variety of very literal interpretations about the Heavens, the age of the earth, Adam and Eve, Noah's Flood, and so on that it became clear that mainstream Christianity was poisoned at the very root. From the proto-Orthodox Church obviously came Orthodoxy, Catholicism, and Protestantism, as well as inspiring the groundwork for the majority of Christian New Religious Movements like the Church of the Latter-Day Saints and the Jehovah's Witnesses.

So I was convinced that, if there was any truth to Christianity, it had to have something to do with its mystical and esoteric undercurrents that influenced Christian monasticism. I still believed that the Orthodox and Catholic monks had genuine spiritual experiences and that the Holy Spirit was using these institutions to help those searching for God, but I had invalidated all of their doctrine as merely millennia of shifting the goalposts. Luckily, ancient Gnostics started with mystical and esoteric interpretations of scripture in direct contrast to the literalism of the proto-Orthodox Church; it was their willingness to deny Biblical literalism that had them persecuted for heresy, which is hilariously ironic given that the same institutions which persecuted them have mostly fallen to less literal interpretations in the modern age, too.

That made me think that Gnosticism might have something to it. After quite a bit of research, I settled on Sethianism since it was the early Gnostic sect that most of the later sects splintered off of. I figured that I could become a practicing Sethian while I continued my research, and my experience with Sethian mysticism would help me understand the roots of whatever direction I went in afterwards.

My worldview was that of a very strict mind-matter dualist. To me, my mind was the only thing that was truly "real" since the external world belonged to the Demiurge, not God. Because of this, I was bordering on solipsism and psychosis. I was living an extremely strict ascetic life, isolated almost completely from society in the middle of the rural countryside and spending the majority of my time either studying Gnosticism or in contemplative prayer.

So it's safe to say that my relationship with religion has always been one that I've jumped into with both feet.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
11 - none, but read any and all mythos I could get my hands on.
22 - unknowingly receiving Zen training from my sen-sei (he snuck it in with Martial arts)
33 - still unknowingly practicing zen, still studying everything
44 - had realized I had been trained in and had been practicing zen, still studying everything else
55 - Western Eclectic LHP Mahayana Buddhism and Western LHP Mercurianism. Still studying everything else.

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
11 - Being dragged to a Southern Baptist church by my parents, but was already fascinated by Hinduism

22 - Called myself agnostic, but actually did believe in a vague "higher power," but that was about it

33 - Hindu

39 - Hindu

We Never Know

No Slack

22?

33?

44?

55?

66?

77?

88?

99?

22 - Agnostic

33 - Agnostic

44 - Neo-Pagan

55 - Hindu

I can go back even further when I was younger. For instance... I was so traumatized when I was born, I didn't speak for around 6 months :D

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
11 - Either atheist or Christian, but raised with an Abrahamic mindset

22 - Either atheist or Christian, but raised with an Abrahamic mindset

33 - Atheist now

Last edited:

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

22?

33?

44?

55?

66?

77?

88?

99?

22 - Agnostic

33 - Agnostic

44 - Neo-Pagan

55 - Hindu

at 11: Stoic (without knowing it)
at 22: Machiavellian (without knowing it)
from 33: Of strong belief and conscious, humble faith in God

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
... on your spiritual path at 11 years old? At the age of 11, I had studied a lot of mythology (especially Greek mythology) but also the books owned by my grandmother who was a Catholic. Technically, I wasn't a Christian due to the lack of a baptism but I had a father who idiotically forbade me to be a Christian, I thought I was "right".

22? That was the time I was baptized in the Catholic Church as an adult. It was the time I was away from home so I still thought I was "right". One year later, I attended by first Hare Krishna Sunday Feast. Life can be complicated sometimes.

33? Left and re-entered the Church, started to attend Hare Krishna Feasts regularly.

44? This is a year that is still ahead of me, so I guess I'll be surprised. ;)

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
11 - Up until about this age I was nominally a Christian (assigned by my parents of course, given I didn't have much knowledge, or say, as to making any useful or valid decisions regarding such things), but also by this age I had my suspicions as to religions not reflecting factual evidence or truth, and purely being invented by humans - given there were so many of them and often being contradictory. And this was probably bolstered by the teaching of RI (Protestant Christianity) during secondary schooling. Just too many fanciful things that were against what we might understand from science and no proper evidence to support any of this.

22 - By this age, and after much researching, I had begun to be more atheist inclined, given that my interest in science and other areas often seemed to point to so many anomalies within any particular religion as to make them unbelievable. Also, at this time, sufficient explanations were coming forth as to how and why people are drawn to religious explanations and as to how these religions probably formed.

33 - From about this age onwards, I was more inclined towards being agnostic - as to there being any creative force that could be nominated as God or similar - but I was still mainly an atheist. I also became more firm in my views regarding religions in general - seeing as much harm in so many as any good they might have done - and this still remains.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
11- theist (had a couple of years of Presbyterianism under my belt)
22- theist
33- Evangelical Christian/Southern Baptist
44- Evangelical Christian/Presbyterian (PCA)
55- Dabbled in Atheism, Paganism and Unitarian Universalism
61- Searching, having dabbled in LDS, Buddhism and Catholicism

Fun thread. Thanks!

Last edited: