• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where was Satan before Eden -and how did he get there?

Etritonakin

Due to the fact that this evolution/creation/young earth thing is completely unnecessary and really getting old.... I have decided to ask questions about scripture rather than making any specific points about it -hoping that actually reading what is written might clear up some issues. There are many things written in the bible which are not consistent with many beliefs about what is written.

I Thes 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good

For anyone familiar with biblical scripture..... Where was Satan -according to scripture -before the events in Eden -and how did he get there? What is written about his activities before interacting with man -and is it consistent with the idea of a young Earth?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I heard God's Favored became the devil

so...before the creation of Man....
the devil was immediately beside God

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
For anyone familiar with biblical scripture..... Where was Satan -according to scripture -before the events in Eden -and how did he get there? What is written about his activities before interacting with man -and is it consistent with the idea of a young Earth?
  1. Posing such a question in the 'Evolution Vs Creationism' forum makes about as much sense as posting pizza recipes in the Deism DIR.
  2. Reading Satan into Eden is a silly Christian interpretation of Jewish scripture.
In other words ...

... the OP is ridiculous.​

Etritonakin

good question.....
I have a storyline I post once in awhile
but I have not found it written

it's been with me all of my life
but I can't say how it became so vivid
I suppose I could post as many as I can find. Giving a homework assignment was probably not a good way to start a discussion. :confused:

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Please correct me if I am wrong... but nowhere in the Bible does it say that Satan was in Eden, or that Satan was the serpent in Genesis who tempted Eve to partake of the forbidden fruit. There are many ways to interpret the myth, but nowhere in the Bible or Genesis is the term "Satan" specifically used to refer to that particular serpent. It is possible that this interpretation was from a New Testament verse in Revelations that mentions "that ancient serpent called the devil"... which could mean many things from a theological or literary standpoint. Perhaps there are some Jewish sources that might explain some perceived connection between the serpent in Genesis and Samael or some other being?

I am aware the Quran, however, describes Iblis as a Djinn among Angels who defied God's command to prostrate before Adam, and thus in that choice became Satan and was expelled from paradise.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I suppose I could post as many as I can find. Giving a homework assignment was probably not a good way to start a discussion. :confused:
I went as far as Psalms....
'.....and God made Man a little less than the angels'

but then I did go further....on my own
and God said to the angelic....
'Man is fragile, therefore, seek after him that he stub not his toe nor dash his head'

one third of heaven said ......Nay!
That Man is less, he should be made to serve us!

there is nothing wrong with that logic

We humans do so unto anything less than we are
We bridle and saddle the horse....and he is made to take us wherever we desire to go
the dog would hunt in pack....at will...but
we collar and chain the animal and forbid that he bite the hand that feeds him
and we expect loyalty
We cage little birds for their love songs
but that creature will never find the mate he sings for....
no nest, no offspring.....and he will die in solitude
We kill insects just because we don't like them

and we do so.....even unto each other

to whom? do we bear resemblance?

a fight broke out.....brother angel against brother angel
swords drawn
and one third of heaven lost their positions for cause of an argument
over something that looks like us
They want us dead

two thirds of heaven lost their brothers over an argument
They might not care the very sight of us

to whom? do we bear resemblance?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Posing such a question in the 'Evolution Vs Creationism' forum makes about as much sense as posting pizza recipes in the Deism DIR.
Perhaps if it were asked in a respectful way like "Is there such a thing as a Deist pizza recipe?" although it might still trigger a review.
Nowhere in the Bible does it say that Satan was in Eden.

I am aware the Quran, however, describes Iblis as a Djinn among Angels who defied God's command to prostrate before Adam, and thus in that choice became Satan and was expelled from paradise.
I partially forgot this.
Reading Satan into Eden is a silly Christian interpretation of Jewish scripture.
It is a common interpretation in some churches and generates income for creationist publishers and lobbies. I can understand why the OP might ask about it.
Due to the fact that this evolution/creation/young earth thing is completely unnecessary and really getting old....
It is unlikely to go away or to be settled in this or any thread. This is a long term issue, and its a heated issue. People aren't born with knowledge, so every generation has to keep learning and being taught. All of human history can disappear in a short period of time, and the world can be forced to start over completely from scratch.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I went as far as Psalms....
'.....and God made Man a little less than the angels'
Hello. Its pretty much what the English Bible translations say isn't it, taken as a text. It reads that way in English. Its related to why there are creationist lobbies and publishers.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
***Please remember folks Rule 8 of forum rules. No proselytizing. No saving people from themselves, from hell, from their internal inaccuracies etc. Do that stuff on reddit, personal blogs or what have you.***

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
The Bible says that Satan was created by God as a cherub, the most powerful of God's angelic beings. Some time after his creation and before the creation of mankind, Satan rebelled against God and took one third of the angels (now referred to as demons) with him into rebellion.
^^
http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/who_is_satan.html

All you had to do was google it up for yourself.
NOTHING is consistent with a young earth.
If you mean the earth is some 6,000 years old.
How stupid it that!?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
if you could point to a particular volume....
Just about any Bible printed in English with very few exceptions: Maybe the RV doesn't, but that was taken out of print. JPS is Jewish. There are some other strictly Jewish Bibles, but they do not include New Testament books.

Aštra’el

Honestly I am most curious about any Jewish theological perspectives of what Samael was like before the existence of Man... was Samael's duty always the Satan? Was there ever a "before Samael was Satan"? I understand the perspective of Samael being Satan yet remaining a loyal Angel of God, I'm just curious if Jews believe a Satan was necessary before Man came into existence, and if so, what its purpose would be. Or, am I looking at this wrong, and should instead attempt to imagine Samael as an extension of God that always existed? @Tumah

I am also curious about the Islamic theological perspective of what Iblis was like before he became the Satan, especially seeing how he was created a Djinn but was apparently just up there in paradise chillin with the Angels and God.

gnostic

The Lost One
Due to the fact that this evolution/creation/young earth thing is completely unnecessary and really getting old.... I have decided to ask questions about scripture rather than making any specific points about it -hoping that actually reading what is written might clear up some issues. There are many things written in the bible which are not consistent with many beliefs about what is written.

I Thes 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good

When was Satan ever at Eden?

I have read Genesis numerous of times, and at know time does Satan appear.

That Christians have for centuries associated the serpent with Satan, just show that some Christians still believe in this association, cannot tell the difference between reality and allegory.

As to before Eden, the question is "what before?"

The Christian view of Satan is completely different from the Jewish view.

In the Jewish case, he was never Lucifer, never personification of evil, never in opposition to God (from Book of Job), a middle man whose duty was to test man's faith, and never a fallen angel.

The question of "evil" is a matter of perspective. If Satan was a servant of God, in JOB, was evil, then wouldn't that mean god is evil, since Satan was doing god's bidding?

Aštra’el

That's definitely getting off topic.

I believe it is definitely on topic.

The title of this topic is "What was the devil doing in Eden, and how did he get there?" Perhaps the most significant thing about Eden in the Abrahamic religions is that this is the place where Man came into existence. But since not all of the Abrahamic perspectives involve Satan actually being in Eden... it seems completely reasonable and on topic to rephrase the question to, "What was Satan doing before the existence of Man"... which is probably why it was already asked at the very end of the original post, when the topic creator asked "What is written of his activities before the existence of Man?"

Which makes my questions completely on topic.

Last edited by a moderator: