• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where was Jesus Buried.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If one goes by the standard of "logically" he would have been left on the cross and eventually have been placed in a common grave. Part of the punishment of Roman crucifixion was to leave the body up for all to see what happens when one defies Rome.

Yes, I have seen that on some shows I watched on this topic. One of those recent shows think they found where Jesus was buried.

My thought is though, the beleiver s would not want anything to happen to that body.

I can consider this as the story of how the Bab's remains came to Mt Carmel, started out the same as the Christain story.

The remains were thrown in a moat so the wild animals would eat them. Yet the believers stole them away. That was not the official story though. :)

So that really says we may never know, but archaeology is getting lots of interesting finds.

Regards Tony

Eyes to See

This story fails. If there were Roman guards there would be penalties for them and if the body was supposedly stolen Rome would have taken actions against Jesus's followers. It sounds as if it were made up long after the fact.

Actually the very scripture states this:

"While they were on their way, some of the guards went into the city and reported to the chief priests all the things that had happened. 12 And after these had gathered with the elders and had consulted together, they gave a considerable number of silver pieces to the soldiers 13 and said: “Say, ‘His disciples came in the night and stole him while we were sleeping.’ 14 And if this gets to the governor’s ears, we will explain the matter to him and you will not need to worry.” 15 So they took the silver pieces and did as they were instructed, and this story has been spread abroad among the Jews up to this very day."-Matthew 28:11-15.

If you notice in verse 14 they told the guards not to worry, that they would explain the matter to the governor's ears.

Eyes to See

If one goes by the standard of "logically" he would have been left on the cross and eventually have been placed in a common grave. Part of the punishment of Roman crucifixion was to leave the body up for all to see what happens when one defies Rome.

Not true. It was not Jewish custom to leave body hanging until the evening. And the next day was the Passover. It was against Jewish custom to leave the body up. And the Romans accepted Jewish custom and religion.

"“If a man commits a sin deserving the sentence of death and he has been put to death and you have hung him on a stake, 23 his dead body should not remain all night on the stake. Instead, you should be sure to bury him on that day, because the one hung up is something accursed of God, and you should not defile your land that Jehovah your God is giving you as an inheritance."-Deuteronomy 21:22, 23.

"Since it was the day of Preparation, so that the bodies would not remain on the torture stakes on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath day was a great one), the Jews asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies taken away."-John 19:31.

As one reference work states:

the day of Preparation: The day preceding the weekly Sabbath. During this day, the Jews got ready for the Sabbath by preparing extra meals and by finishing any work that could not wait until after the Sabbath. In the case mentioned here, the day of Preparation fell on Nisan 14. (Mr 15:42; see Glossary, “Preparation.”) According to the Mosaic Law, dead bodies “should not remain all night on the stake” but, rather, should be buried “on that day.”—De 21:22, 23; compare Jos 8:29; 10:26, 27.

to have the legs broken: In Latin, this practice was called crurifragium. A brutal form of punishment, it was likely done in this case to hasten the death of those executed on stakes. A person hanging on a stake had difficulty breathing. With his legs broken, he would not be able to raise his body and relieve the pressure on his lungs, so he would suffocate.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Actually the very scripture states this:

"While they were on their way, some of the guards went into the city and reported to the chief priests all the things that had happened. 12 And after these had gathered with the elders and had consulted together, they gave a considerable number of silver pieces to the soldiers 13 and said: “Say, ‘His disciples came in the night and stole him while we were sleeping.’ 14 And if this gets to the governor’s ears, we will explain the matter to him and you will not need to worry.” 15 So they took the silver pieces and did as they were instructed, and this story has been spread abroad among the Jews up to this very day."-Matthew 28:11-15.

If you notice in verse 14 they told the guards not to worry, that they would explain the matter to the governor's ears.
Yes, that is the account in Matthew. Why trust it? The author of Matthew appears to have gotten his story from Mark and changed it to suit.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Not true. It was not Jewish custom to leave body hanging until the evening. And the next day was the Passover. It was against Jewish custom to leave the body up. And the Romans accepted Jewish custom and religion.

"“If a man commits a sin deserving the sentence of death and he has been put to death and you have hung him on a stake, 23 his dead body should not remain all night on the stake. Instead, you should be sure to bury him on that day, because the one hung up is something accursed of God, and you should not defile your land that Jehovah your God is giving you as an inheritance."-Deuteronomy 21:22, 23.

"Since it was the day of Preparation, so that the bodies would not remain on the torture stakes on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath day was a great one), the Jews asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies taken away."-John 19:31.

As one reference work states:

the day of Preparation: The day preceding the weekly Sabbath. During this day, the Jews got ready for the Sabbath by preparing extra meals and by finishing any work that could not wait until after the Sabbath. In the case mentioned here, the day of Preparation fell on Nisan 14. (Mr 15:42; see Glossary, “Preparation.”) According to the Mosaic Law, dead bodies “should not remain all night on the stake” but, rather, should be buried “on that day.”—De 21:22, 23; compare Jos 8:29; 10:26, 27.

to have the legs broken: In Latin, this practice was called crurifragium. A brutal form of punishment, it was likely done in this case to hasten the death of those executed on stakes. A person hanging on a stake had difficulty breathing. With his legs broken, he would not be able to raise his body and relieve the pressure on his lungs, so he would suffocate.
P!ease note. I did not say that this was a Jewish crucifixion. The Jews used crucifixion too at times. But according to the Bible it is a Roman one. Check with Roman scholars, the bodies were not taken down and they did not care at all about the religious beliefs of the people that they conquered.

You can't have it both ways.

Eyes to See

P!ease note. I did not say that this was a Jewish crucifixion. The Jews used crucifixion too at times. But according to the Bible it is a Roman one. Check with Roman scholars, the bodies were not taken down and they did not care at all about the religious beliefs of the people that they conquered.

You can't have it both ways.

The Jews had the Romans hang Jesus on a stake. In Jerusalem, well outside the walls. Even King Herod and Roman governor Pontius Pilate respected the religious practices of the Jews. That was the custom of the Romans.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, I have seen that on some shows I watched on this topic. One of those recent shows think they found where Jesus was buried.

My thought is though, the beleiver s would not want anything to happen to that body.

I can consider this as the story of how the Bab's remains came to Mt Carmel, started out the same as the Christain story.

The remains were thrown in a moat so the wild animals would eat them. Yet the believers stole them away. That was not the official story though. :)

So that really says we may never know, but archaeology is getting lots of interesting finds.

Regards Tony
Believers never want anything bad to have happened to their idols. For a recent example look at all of the stories that arose after the death of Elvis. And that was in a time of widespread literacy and accurate reporting.

When Jesus died literate people were a rarity. Almost all of Jesus's followers would have been illiterate. That is not an insult against them it is merely reality. The first Gospel was not written until forty years after his death. A lot of changes can occur with oral tradition in that period of time.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The Jews had the Romans hang Jesus on a stake. In Jerusalem, well outside the walls. Even King Herod and Roman governor Pontius Pilate respected the religious practices of the Jews. That was the custom of the Romans.
Please find a reliable source that supports that claim. Actual historians appear to disagree with you.

Eyes to See

Please find a reliable source that supports that claim. Actual historians appear to disagree with you.

There are a plethora of reliable sources talking of the relationship the Romans had with the Jews. I can do the research for you, but as you have shown today, that research will only be ignored by you, and lead to more pointless and baseless statements without any validity.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God did not allow that to happen to the Bab so why would God allow that to happen to Jesus?

But I see God did allow for the Bab's remains to have a befitting end. That is why Baha'u'llah chose Mount Carmel for the Bab.

To be thrown in the moat for the animals to eat the body, or for it to rot in view, was a very great insult in Islam.

Yet we know the story continued, the body did not remain, so people could not do more foul things to the bodies. Trust me, after reading many stories of the martyrs, these people could do very degrading things to a body.

I see Jesus was also taken away, and if the story of Shoghi Effendi is true, then the body of Jesus did undergo the same fate as the Bab.

Regards Tony

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There are a plethora of reliable sources talking of the relationship the Romans had with the Jews. I can do the research for you, but as you have shown today, that research will only be ignored by you, and lead to more pointless and baseless statements without any validity.

Then why can't you provide any? I did not make an unreasonable request. You made the claim, not me. That means that the burden of proof lies upon you. I am not doing your homework for you.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But I see God did allow for the Bab's remains to have a befitting end. That is why Baha'u'llah chose Mount Carmel for the Bab.

To be thrown in the moat for the animals to eat the body, or for it to rot in view, was a very great insult in Islam.

Yet we know the story continued, the body did not remain, so people could not do more foul things to the bodies. Trust me, after reading many stories of the martyrs, these people could do very degrading things to a body.

I see Jesus was also taken away, and if the story of Shoghi Effendi is true, then the body of Jesus did undergo the same fate as the Bab.

Regards Tony
I am curious. I know nothing of this. But it appears that there are different claims in this matter between the Baha'i and the Muslims of that area. Am I correct in that?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am curious. I know nothing of this. But it appears that there are different claims in this matter between the Baha'i and the Muslims of that area. Am I correct in that?

Yes very much so. After the Martyrdom of the Bab with His companion, the 300 musket bullets had moulded their bodies together, but the face of the Bab had remained mostly unscathed.

The bodies were then orders to be thrown into the moat outside the wall for them to be on display for all those that wanted to heap further indignation upon those remains. They were put under guard.

The Babi then planned a rescue, which they managed in the dead of the night and they took them away for safe hiding. Baha'u'llah organised for the hiding of the remains.

Then just as in the story of Jesus Body, the guards claimed that wild animals had taken them away, really not knowing what had happened.

It was a very dangerous thing, and they managed to pull it all off. The rest is also an amazing story right up to when Abdu'lbaha placed the remains in the final resting place on Mount Carmel. I have managed to pray at that threshold twice now.

I hope to take the pilgrimage to where Christs remains are reported to be buried as well. Those holy remains do have a powerful spiritual bounty, mainly because we are remembering and thanking God for their sacrafice for all humanity.

Regards Tony

firedragon

Veteran Member
I see that Logically Jesus was buried and was kept a secret, so that the grave would not be desecrated.

There is a talk given by Shoghi Effendi which is no an official Baha'i view, but is of interest. It was given in a talk after Shoghi Effendi had been sitting in silence for a while and he offerd this.

"People wonder what happened to the body of Christ after the crucifixion. It was buried by the disciples under the wall of Jerusalem to protect it from the Roman legions. It remained buried there for some 260 years. (The Guardian gave the exact number of years but afterwards none of the pilgrims could remember precisely the number.) It remained buried under the wall of Jerusalem until the mother of the Emperor Constantine, who had herself become a Christian, came to Jerusalem and had the Church of the Holy Sepulcher built – at which time the body of Christ was removed from under the wall of the city and was placed under the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. And that is where it is today. The Baha’is should be aware of this fact when they visit the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, which is the holiest place in Christendom."

There has been interest with this recently as well.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.icepop.com/jesus-tomb-opened/?amp&ved=2ahUKEwi6s8a77YvzAhXHzjgGHU38B2kQFnoECCsQAQ&usg=AOvVaw08CVmRUSg_CTH04c7d0Rvm&ampcf=1&cshid=1632082639108

So plausible?

We may never know, but maybe it will be known?

Regards Tony

Which year did Effendi say he was dug out of the grave under the wall?

Jedster

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Which year did Effendi say he was dug out of the grave under the wall?

The pilgrims could not call the exact year that was stated.

They thought was mentioned was about 260 years later.

I must say that these are pilgrim notes, they were written down from memory, from conversations had at an evening meal, at a later time, so this is only of interest and not an official Baha'i Statement.

Regards Tony