• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where Religion & Science Meet: From Global Warming/Climate Change to Global Sunday Laws

Riders

Why make laws concerning Sunday? Theres a big chunk of Jewish Christians and Seventh Day Adventists and few Others who worship on Saturday instead. He might offend conservative people like my Sister who is Messianic Jewish Christian with that law.

lostwanderingsoul

Anyone who is against Christ would want Sunday laws to stop people from keeping the seventh day which is the day God wants remembered. No, I am not Seventh Day Adventist. But the seventh day is the one God says He wants us to keep holy.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The Sabbath is to be observed under Jewish Law as given in Torah, and just a reminder that non-Jews are not mandated to follow Jewish Law except for that which they may voluntarily subscribe to or that which is mandated by civil law where they live.

Riders

That's true good, however I think Christians should follow the same example. If you cant go grocery shopping or buy or work on sunday,and your Jew,You also cant do it on Friday night or Saturday so that wipe out 2 and a half days for Jews,so anything your planning to do it better be Monday through Friday and on Friday fore the sun sets!

siti

Except that we don't know for sure which day is the 'real' Biblical Sabbath and it might well be sunset Tuesday to sunset Wednesday and the Biblical 'first day of the week' (Lord's Day) sunset Wednesday to sunset Thursday as I have explained in the First Day of the Week thread.

So to be on the safe side, perhaps we should observe the Sabbath/Lord's Day from sunset Friday to sunrise on Monday and from sunset Tuesday to sunset Thursday leaving us with a three-day working week: Monday, Tuesday and Friday. And if we all follow the Biblical injunctions against collecting firewood and lighting fires on all of the "sabbaths", maybe we'll solve the entire Global Warming/Sunday Law problem entirely - I knew there must be a link somewhere :rolleyes:

Riders

Except that we don't know for sure which day is the 'real' Biblical Sabbath and it might well be sunset Tuesday to sunset Wednesday and the Biblical 'first day of the week' (Lord's Day) sunset Wednesday to sunset Thursday as I have explained in the First Day of the Week thread.

So to be on the safe side, perhaps we should observe the Sabbath/Lord's Day from sunset Friday to sunrise on Monday and from sunset Tuesday to sunset Thursday leaving us with a three-day working week: Monday, Tuesday and Friday. And if we all follow the Biblical injunctions against collecting firewood and lighting fires on all of the "sabbaths", maybe we'll solve the entire Global Warming/Sunday Law problem entirely - I knew there must be a link somewhere :rolleyes:

Ys and then wed be a lot more poor too. They had to make everything free to buy we might as well.

metis

It's "interesting" that some seem to believe that maybe all of us Jews worldwide miraculously fell asleep and lost track of which day of the week it was at some point in time. Ya, maybe we forgot how to count to 7. Ya, sure.

siti

It's "interesting" that some seem to believe that maybe all of us Jews worldwide miraculously fell asleep and lost track of which day of the week it was at some point in time. Ya, maybe we forgot how to count to 7. Ya, sure.
Perhaps, but your ancestors once lived in an Empire that had two different ways of naming the days of a 7 day week and an 8 day week all running in parallel. The astrological standard that determines the names of the days as we know them (which we just take for granted because we have never known any other sequence) is the 'sunrise naming convention' which selects the name of the day corresponding to the planet that dominates during the first hour after sunrise. The sunset naming convention selects the name based on the planet dominating the first hour after sunset. The first actual evidence of a date recorded complete with the name of the day is a record that names 6th February AD 60 as "dies solis" - Sunday, but by our current (sunrise convention) reckoning 6th February that year was a Wednesday. Obviously at least somebody in the 1st century Roman Empire was using the sunset naming convention.

Vettius Valens, writing about the middle of the second century AD confirms that the sunset naming convention was in use then and the early Christians were still using both systems side by side during the 4th century calling the days of weeks beginning on a Sunday 'Day of John' and the weeks beginning on Wednesday "tentyon" (transcription of the Greek ton theon meaning "of the gods") so that, for example, the day that corresponds to our Saturday would be the 7th Day of John and the 3rd day tentyon of that week.

For our Saturday (aka the 7th Day of John to 4th century Alexandrian Christians) to also be the 7th day of the Jewish week requires that the ancient Jewish days of the week were (somehow) pre-aligned with a Roman astrological sunrise naming convention. That strikes me as odd when their days (in common with the Babylonians, Greeks and at least some of the Roman Empire) explicitly started at sunset.

On Monday, leading biologists, ecologists, and economists are gathering at the Vatican for a series of discussions about humanity’s relationship to the natural world. Pope Francis has made environmental stewardship a key issue for the Catholic church, and this latest summit will attempt to identify social and economic changes that need to take place in order to prevent the planet’s ecology from falling too far into disrepair, and in doing so disrupting human progress.
Scientists Are at the Vatican Discussing How to Save the Planet. It Could Get Depressing.

The clock is ticking, and soon Sunday Laws will be advocated worldwide for the solution to solve climate change.

She also explored Pope Francis' notion of inner ecological conversion, linking our spirituality with the life of the Trinity pervading all of creation, a spirituality that takes time for Sabbath rest and for gratitude as well as action. She will be a speaker at the National Justice and Peace Network conference 21-23 July, which will focus on 'A Sabbath for the Earth and the Poor'.
Hallam: Living Laudato Si' where we are

This movement is getting very blunt now.

Climate change is an atomic bomb waiting to explode. We are on the threshold of ecological apocalypse. This ecological apocalypse is the result of an ecological sin against God's creation."
Only one per cent of the rich owns 50% of the wealth in the world: "From here derives environmental injustice and ecological injustice. Greenhouse gases that increase global warming are emitted by rich countries. The United States, with a population of about 6% of the world, produce 40% of greenhouse gases. Who is dying? The poor. Poor countries are the most vulnerable to global warming. Cyclones, earthquakes, floods create thousands of victims of natural disasters.
"This is ecological terrorism. The powerful of this world decide who should live or die. Economic and ecological terrorists are unleashed against the poor".
Myanmar: Cardinal calls for 'urgent ecological conversion'

I am currently involved in a Lenten seminar at my wife's church over the Pope's encyclical on climate change, and I'm very pleased he has spoken out on the need for us to take this very seriously and go beyond just talk.

Go on... What has been mentioned about keeping Sunday holy?

I don't know what you're asking and how it may pertain to what I posted, so maybe you can clarify?

What I was asking was, what have they said so far in regards to keeping Sunday as the commonly shared weekly day of rest for the earth and for the poor?

NEWS:
The Commission of the Bishops’ Conferences of the European Community has joined with other groups in calling for Sunday to be recognized as a common day of rest...
EU bishops’ commission calls for work-free Sundays : News Headlines
The European Sunday Alliance aims to promote and re-integrate the Sunday as the common weekly day of rest in the EU working-time directive. The network of the Sunday Alliance believes that, in particular in times of digitalisation, all citizens of the European Union are entitled to benefit from decent working hours and that only essential services should operate on a Sunday.
European Day for a Work-Free Sunday: Call for Action!

Sunday is NOT the 7th Day of the week! But, as prophecy says, they will push for the mark of the beast, the Pope's false Sunday sabbath. The true Sabbath is Friday Sunset to Saturday sunset!

Exodus 20:8-11 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

And the Sabbath is held from evening to evening, because Bible days are evening to evening.

Leviticus 23:32 It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath.

metis

Sunday is NOT the 7th Day of the week! But, as prophecy says, they will push for the mark of the beast, the Pope's false Sunday sabbath. The true Sabbath is Friday Sunset to Saturday sunset!
Just to let you know that I"m Jewish, so you're "preaching to the choir".

Also, Jewish Law does not apply to gentiles, therefore what the Pope or any other non-Jew wants to have as their day of rest is up to them. Most Christian say they adhere to Sunday being "the Lord's Day", which was and is a reference to Jesus' supposed resurrection. It was also a day in the early church whereas the community ate the "agape meal", now given in the form of "communion"/"eucharist". .

Just to let you know that I"m Jewish, so you're "preaching to the choir".

Also, Jewish Law does not apply to gentiles, therefore what the Pope or any other non-Jew wants to have as their day of rest is up to them. Most Christian say they adhere to Sunday being "the Lord's Day", which was and is a reference to Jesus' supposed resurrection. It was also a day in the early church whereas the community ate the "agape meal", now given in the form of "communion"/"eucharist". .

The 10 Commandments do not only belong to the Jews. The 10 Commandments are the very standard of character that everyone must have. Sin is only defined as the transgression of the law. And Christ did not come to destroy the law, or the prophets.

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.