• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is your God

Kowalski

Now, it seems to be the case that God spoke on numerous occasions (allegedly) to various Jewish Prophets. However, since this god was reinvented by the Jesus cult, and then adopted by the Christain cult, it (god) seems to of have clammed up, And here I have to disregard the claims of the LDS and founder Smith. I don't think that you can include these johnny come latelys in this scenario.

So, for all you Christians, do you think your God was unhappy at being hijacked by Paul and sold to you, the gentiles ? and that's why your god not longer does prophecy ?

Cheers

K

nutshell

Wow...I'm trying not to be offended by your first paragraph. What's the point of asking your question if you will immediately disregard the answer of millions of people? Why don't you think you can include these "johnny come latelys?"

What some Christians may say (and me being LDS you know that this is not my answer) is that all things were fulfilled in Christ and so revelation on a grand scale is no longer required.

Pah

Uber all member
Kowalski said:
...And here I have to disregard the claims of the LDS and founder Smith. I don't think that you can include these johnny come latelys in this scenario.

So, for all you Christians, do you think your God was unhappy at being hijacked by Paul and sold to you, the gentiles ? and that's why your god not longer does prophecy ?

Cheers

K
Mormans certainly CAN answer the question - it's an open forum. It's the second paragraph of your OP that includes them

nutshell

Pah said:
Mormans certainly CAN answer the question - it's an open forum. It's the second paragraph of your OP that includes them
Thanks, Pah.

So to answer your question, Kowalski, God still does speak to Prophets. In modern times he restored his church when he began speaking to Joseph Smith. Today, he speaks to the prophet Gordon B. Hinkley.

In some ways we are all our own prophets. He can speak to each of us through the still small voice, giving us our own bit of revelation we can apply to our own lives.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
From a Catholic perspective. We do believe private revelation is possible but not public revelation. Public revelation ended with the death of the last apostle (St. John). Any private revelation cannot contradict what was put into writing (Scriptures) and what was passed down orally (Tradition).

~Victor

nutshell

Victor said:
From a Catholic perspective. We do believe private revelation is possible but not public revelation. Public revelation ended with the death of the last apostle (St. John). Any private revelation cannot contradict what was put into writing (Scriptures) and what was passed down orally (Tradition).

~Victor
Can you clarify why you believe public revelation ended? Does this mean the pope does not receive revelation for the church?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
nutshell said:
Can you clarify why you believe public revelation ended? Does this mean the pope does not receive revelation for the church?
I have nothing conclusive from the Scriptures I can show you. Just like I can't show you how we assembled our Canon from the Scriptures Alone. This is a belief passed down thru oral Tradition and I'm sure I can dig for some historical writings.

The Pope does not get public revelation from God.

~Victor

Deut 13:1

Kowalski said:
Now, it seems to be the case that God spoke on numerous occasions (allegedly) to various Jewish Prophets. However, since this god was reinvented by the Jesus cult, and then adopted by the Christain cult, it (god) seems to of have clammed up, And here I have to disregard the claims of the LDS and founder Smith. I don't think that you can include these johnny come latelys in this scenario.

Cheers

K
Here's a better question, where isn't G-d?

Pah

Uber all member
Binyamin said:
Here's a better question, where isn't G-d?
I think it's a terrific question but is better answered in another thread. This one is specfic to God is missing because there are no prophets. Perhaps you can extend your answer to cover this topic.

jonny

Victor said:

~Victor
Catholics and Mormons really do have many common beliefs. :)

All kidding aside, I believe that God can speak to any of us, but most of us are too busy to listen and expect him to always speak in the same way that we speak to eachother.

Also, who says that he hasn't spoken over the years? If God were to speak to us personally, I expect that it would be such a spiritual and sacred experience that, without his request, I doubt we would be able to share it with anyone.

Kowalski

nutshell said:
Thanks, Pah.

So to answer your question, Kowalski, God still does speak to Prophets. In modern times he restored his church when he began speaking to Joseph Smith. Today, he speaks to the prophet Gordon B. Hinkley.

In some ways we are all our own prophets. He can speak to each of us through the still small voice, giving us our own bit of revelation we can apply to our own lives.
Well, this is just the point, as all anybody has is the word of the person who recieves said revelation, then it follows that said revelation is subjective and only relevant if you choose to believe.

As this is all hypothetical, let's consider the other part of the question, was God unhappy at Paul selling him (god) to the gentiles, so then you have this spilt between the various groups, Christain following a new set of rituals and beliefs, the Jews retaining the Old religion.

Cheers

K

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Kowalski said:
OK, let them answer then .

K
How kind of you!;)

Cheers

K

You really do have a "way with words":rolleyes: ; I note Victor's reply, and he has therefore given you the 'correct' Christian slant on this point.

I, however, believe that all the prophecies that were to be given to us were given; that prophecies are no longer 'needed'.

I hope you have learned enough about Christianity to know that we believe we are here to 'choose' which way we shall go (ie through Faith and in love, or through evil). Prophecies would influence our own choices, in my mind...........

Kowalski

michel said:
How kind of you!;)

Cheers

K

You really do have a "way with words":rolleyes: ; I note Victor's reply, and he has therefore given you the 'correct' Christian slant on this point.

I, however, believe that all the prophecies that were to be given to us were given; that prophecies are no longer 'needed'.

I hope you have learned enough about Christianity to know that we believe we are here to 'choose' which way we shall go (ie through Faith and in love, or through evil). Prophecies would influence our own choices, in my mind...........
Thanks Michel,
I try to tell it like it is. Which doesn't always go down well. One of the reasons I mention this spilt between the followers of Jesus, with mainstream Judaism, is that following said spilt, there occurs a second split, when Paul breaks with the James in Jerusalem. Following this Paul removes all the requirements of Judaism, like circumcising males, rules on marriage etc, an in effect, removes the Jewishness from god. So, now this re-invented God is readily sellable to the down trodden masses of the Roman Empire.

It is also apparent, that the tone of the Gospel of St John is anti-jewish, further reinforcing the divorce between Judaism and the growing Christian church.

So,maybe god developed a split personality because of this ?

Cheers

K

jewscout

Religious Zionist
It would seem that during the time of the Prophets no one listened to them and G-d's message. For Judaism at least, i think that G-d can be reached still through study of Torah and prayer. It's one thing to know G-d, it's another thing to believe in G-d, IMPO.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Kowalski said:
Now, it seems to be the case that God spoke on numerous occasions (allegedly) to various Jewish Prophets. However, since this god was reinvented by the Jesus cult, ...
What was this reinvention and where is it documented?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Kowalski said:
Thanks Michel,
I try to tell it like it is. Which doesn't always go down well. One of the reasons I mention this spilt between the followers of Jesus, with mainstream Judaism, is that following said spilt, there occurs a second split, when Paul breaks with the James in Jerusalem. Following this Paul removes all the requirements of Judaism, like circumcising males, rules on marriage etc, an in effect, removes the Jewishness from god. So, now this re-invented God is readily sellable to the down trodden masses of the Roman Empire.

It is also apparent, that the tone of the Gospel of St John is anti-jewish, further reinforcing the divorce between Judaism and the growing Christian church.

So,maybe god developed a split personality because of this ?

Cheers

K
look, my friend,

You believe in your conspiracy theories if you like, but forgive me if I don't join in!;)