• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHERE IS THE SCRIPTURE THAT SAYS GOD'S 4th COMMANDMENT IS ABOLISHED?

nPeace

Veteran Member
I hope you don't mind me abbreviating this, so that it isn't too long.
Let me answer that with the scriptures. Jesus says that God made the Sabbath for man kind here...
  • Mark 2:27 27, And he said to them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath
Yes. What was it made for mankind to do?
Sabbath means “rest, cease”. Seems a loving provision for man. I agree.

When God made the Sabbath for all man-kind there was only Adam and Eve who were created on the 6th day of the week
Yes. Adam and Eve were created on day six, before the seventh day... of course. :)

God blessed "the seventh day" and set the seventh day as a Holy day for man kind in honor of God's finished work of creation...
  • Genesis 2:1-3 1, Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2, And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3, And God blessed the seventh day, and made it holy: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.
I'm not seeing where it says "a Holy day for man kind in honor of God's finished work of creation."
Are you sure you quoted the right scripture?
I read what you quoted. It says God rested from all his work - obviously his creative works - on that day, which God blessed... the seventh day.

I guess you are saying you think the purpose was for man to honor God for his works... Or am I getting ahead of myself?
Do you think the day was for man to rest or cease - desist - from his works, or something else?

As posted earlier Jesus says that God made the Sabbath for mankind. The Greek word used for man in Mark 2:27 is ἄνθρωπος (ánthrōpos | G444) meaning human beings.)
  • Mark 2:27 27, And he said to them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath
And God commands us as His people to keep His Sabbath as a holy day of rest in the 10 commandments in Exodus 20:8-11....
  • Exodus 20:8-11 8, Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9, Six days shall you labor, and do all your work: 10, But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD your God: in it you shall not do any work, you, nor your son, nor your daughter, your manservant, nor your maidservant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger that is within your gates: 11, For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: why the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and made it holy. (reference back to Genesis 2:1-3)
Hold up.
Where did you read that God commands us as his people to keep the Sabbath?
That's a pretty far leap you have made there, so let's step back, and take a look.

In the Wilderness of Sinai...
God spoke all these words:
“I am Jehovah your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery...
Exodus 20:1-2

To whom...
Exodus 31:13
13 “Speak to the Israelites and tell them, ‘Especially, you are to keep my sabbaths, for it is a sign between me and you during your generations in order that you may know that I, Jehovah, am sanctifying you.

Exodus 31:16-17
16 The Israelites must keep the Sabbath; they must observe the Sabbath during all their generations. It is a lasting covenant. 17 It is an enduring sign between me and the people of Israel, for in six days Jehovah made the heavens and the earth and on the seventh day he rested and refreshed himself.’”

It was the Israelites God commanded.
It was with the Israelites God made the covenant.
It was not with their forefathers, or the nations around... Nor us.
Deuteronomy 5:1-5
1 Moses then summoned all Israel and said to them: “Hear, O Israel, the regulations and the judicial decisions that I am announcing to you today, and you must learn them and carefully observe them. 2 Jehovah our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. 3 It was not with our forefathers that Jehovah made this covenant, but with us, all of us alive here today.
Deuteronomy 5:15

The history of a weekly 24-hour sabbath observance begins with the nation of Israel in the wilderness in the second month after their Exodus from Egypt in 1513 B.C.E. (Exodus 16:1) Jehovah had told Moses that the miraculous provision of the manna would be double on the sixth day. When this proved true, the chieftains of the assembly reported the matter to Moses and then the arrangement for the weekly Sabbath was announced. (Exodus 16:22, 23) That Israel was obligated from that time forward is shown by Jehovah’s words at Exodus 16:28, 29.

What do you disagree with, and what scriptures disagree with the above?

So yep God made the Sabbath for all mankind. On the seventh day of the creation week there was no Jews, no Moses, no Israel, only Adam and Eve who were sinless and in perfect harmony with God their creator. So as you can see plenty of scripture proving what was presented earlier.
All mankind was indeed to enter God's seventh day rest. It was made for all mankind that would be born to Adam and Eve.
However, sadly, Adam plunged the human race into sin, alienating them from God.
As seen from scripture, God made a covenant with his friend Abraham, that would allow mankind to indeed enter his rest.
The nation of Israel became God's chosen people with whom God made a covenant - commanding that they... not us, 3rdAngel... to keep a weekly Sabbath, and a yearly Sabbath. Was there a monthly Sabbath? I don't remember.

In the book of Hebrews, we see that they did not enter into God's rest - God's Sabbath day - the one he blessed.
Why was that 3edAngel?
Forgive me for not using scriptures in this section. I am rushing, because I have to go do something. I shall return later to complete it.

I will respond section by section to your large post in a series of smaller posts so they are easy to follow.

More to come...
That's cool.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Well, if you as a "foreigner"/Gentile, want to worship on God's mountain, then that entails keep God's Commandments (Isaiah 56:6)

New American Standard Bible Isaiah 56:6
“Also the foreigners who join themselves to the LORD, To attend to His service and to love the name of the LORD, To be His servants, every one who keeps the Sabbath so as not to profane it, And holds firmly to My covenant;

Isa 56:6 seems to be about foreigners becoming Jews before the New Covenant through Jesus.

3rdAngel

Let me answer that with the scriptures. Jesus says that God made the Sabbath for man kind here...
Your response here...
I hope you don't mind me abbreviating this, so that it isn't too long. Yes. What was it made for mankind to do? Sabbath means “rest, cease”. Seems a loving provision for man. I agree.
Not exactly no. The Hebrew meaning of Sabbath does not mean rest. The link you provided to BibleHub is to the root word of Sabbath which is translated in English as "rest" (H7673) not "Sabbath (H7676). The Hebrew word for rest you provided is the verb translated as "rest (H7673 - shabath; note the single letter b in the Hebrew word translated as rest here from Genesis 2:1-3)". This Hebrew word is the verb (action) on how the Sabbath is to be kept by resting on the "seventh day" it is not the Hebrew word for Sabbath (H7676). H7673 (rest) is the Hebrew word for rest and the same word used in Genesis 2:1-3. The Hebrew word for Sabbath however is a noun (H7676 - shabbath; note the double letter bb in the Hebrew word translated as Sabbath from Exodus 20:8-11). Its meaning is simply every seventh day of the week or from one Sabbath (noun = descriptive) to the next Sabbath. So you posted the wrong meaning of Sabbath. The meaning of Sabbath is every seventh day of the week. We keep the Sabbath holy though consecrating and setting the seventh day apart from every other day of the week, by resting on the seventh day. The Hebrew word for rest (H7673) is the root word of where the name Sabbath which is a Hebrew noun (descriptive) comes from.
Yes. Adam and Eve were created on day six, before the seventh day... of course. :) I'm not seeing where it says "a Holy day for man kind in honor of God's finished work of creation." Are you sure you quoted the right scripture? I read what you quoted. It says God rested from all his work - obviously his creative works - on that day, which God blessed... the seventh day.
Genesis 2:3 (NIV) Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done. The Hebrew word translated as holy here in the NIV and other bible translations, is 6942. קָדַשׁ (qadash) which means to set apart; to make holy; to consecrate.
I guess you are saying you think the purpose was for man to honor God for his works... Or am I getting ahead of myself? Do you think the day was for man to rest or cease - desist - from his works, or something else?
Yes Jesus says that the Sabbath was made for man kind in Mark 2:27. As we were created in Gods image (Genesis 1:26-31) God made the Sabbath for mankind so that we can rest from our works just like God rested from His work of creation. God tells us in Exodus 20:8-11 that we are to "Remember the Sabbath to to keep it holy" (Exodus 20:8). That is the seventh day that God blessed and made a holy day of rest for mankind at creation (Genesis 2:1-3; Mark 2:27), we are to honor to remember the God of creation and to cease our work as God ceased His and to take time our to rest as God rested from His work every seventh day of the week.
Hold up. Where did you read that God commands us as his people to keep the Sabbath? That's a pretty far leap you have made there, so let's step back, and take a look.
Right here in Exodus 20:8-11. Its one of Gods 10 commandments (4th commandment of the 10 commandments).

Exodus 20:8-11 EXODUS 20:8-11 [8], REMEMBER THE SABBATH DAY, TO KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> [Because JESUS made it a Holy day of rest for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day] [9], Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: [10], But the SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH of the LORD thy God [This is a direct reference from God's Word defining what the Sabbath is; The SABBATH = the SEVENTH DAY OF THE WEEK]: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY> [11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and MADE IT HOLY.

If you notice Exodus 20:11 it is stating that the reason for the Sabbath commandment is that God blessed the Sabbath and made it a holy day of rest and is referring back to Genesis 2:1-3. Jesus states in Mark 2:27 that God made the Sabbath for mankind. Therefore God blessed the Sabbath and made the Sabbath a holy day of rest for mankind in Genesis 2:1-3, and commands His people to keep it a holy day of rest in Exodus 20:8-11 which is Gods 4th commandment of the 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken (Romans 3:20).
In the Wilderness of Sinai... God spoke all these words: “I am Jehovah your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery... Exodus 20:1-2 To whom... Exodus 31:13 13 “Speak to the Israelites and tell them, ‘Especially, you are to keep my sabbaths, for it is a sign between me and you during your generations in order that you may know that I, Jehovah, am sanctifying you. Exodus 31:16-17 16 The Israelites must keep the Sabbath; they must observe the Sabbath during all their generations. It is a lasting covenant. 17 It is an enduring sign between me and the people of Israel, for in six days Jehovah made the heavens and the earth and on the seventh day he rested and refreshed himself.’” It was the Israelites God commanded.
It was with the Israelites God made the covenant. It was not with their forefathers, or the nations around... Nor us. Deuteronomy 5:1-5 1 Moses then summoned all Israel and said to them: “Hear, O Israel, the regulations and the judicial decisions that I am announcing to you today, and you must learn them and carefully observe them. 2 Jehovah our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. 3 It was not with our forefathers that Jehovah made this covenant, but with us, all of us alive here today. Deuteronomy 5:15 The history of a weekly 24-hour sabbath observance begins with the nation of Israel in the wilderness in the second month after their Exodus from Egypt in 1513 B.C.E. (Exodus 16:1) Jehovah had told Moses that the miraculous provision of the manna would be double on the sixth day. When this proved true, the chieftains of the assembly reported the matter to Moses and then the arrangement for the weekly Sabbath was announced. (Exodus 16:22, 23) That Israel was obligated from that time forward is shown by Jehovah’s words at Exodus 16:28, 29. What do you disagree with, and what scriptures disagree with the above?
I do not disagree with any of the scriptures you have posted here. I do however disagree with your interpretation these scriptures that Gods Word and His law was only for old covenant Israel born of the flesh and not of the Spirit. The bible does not teach that view. According to the new covenant scriptures, Gods Israel in the new covenant are no longer those born of the flesh of the seed of Abraham (Romans 9:6-8; Romans 2:28-29 and Galatians 3:28-29) but are now all those who are born again of the Spirit of God (see John 3:3-7; compare 1 John 3:4-10 and Galatians 5:16; Romans 8:1-4) into Gods new covenant promise (Hebrews 8:10-12 from Jeremiah 31:31-34 and Ezekiel 36:24-27). Therefore, Gods Israel according to the scriptures in the new covenant are now all those who through faith believe and follow Gods Word and we are all now one in Christ (Romans 10:11-13; Colossians 3:11). Gentile believers have been grafted in with Jewish believers (Romans 11:13-27). If we are not a part of Gods Israel in the new covenant we have no part in God's new covenant promise *Hebrews 8:10-12 (further scripture support provided in post # 75 linked). God never made His new covenant with Gentiles (Hebrews 8:10-12 from Jeremiah 31:31-34 and Ezekiel 36:24-27).

According to the scriptures, Hebrews 3:8-19 and Hebrews 4:1-11 is a warning given by God that those who do not believe and obey what Gods Word says do not enter in to Gods rest which is defined in Hebrews 4:3-5 as Gods seventh day Sabbath created from the foundation of the world. Lets stop looking for excuses not to believe and follow what Gods Word says. According to the scriptures in Romans 3:4 only Gods Word is true and we should believe and follow them over the teachings and traditions of men that have led many away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God against the very warnings given by Jesus in Matthew 15:3-9 and from Hebrews 3:9-19 and Hebrews 4:1-11.

Take Care.

Last edited:

2ndpillar

Isa 56:6 seems to be about foreigners becoming Jews before the New Covenant through Jesus.
Maybe you should read all of Isaiah 56 thru 59, which refers to "those who keep My covenant: even those I will bring to My holy mountain". It does not work out well for the "wicked", the lawless.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Hi Brian, no one has said to you anywhere that we are saved through keeping the law of Moses.

You say that when you say that I am not a Christian if I do not keep the Sabbath, which is part of the law of Moses.

However the connection you see in Matthew 15:3-9 that if we follow man-made teachings and traditions that lead us away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God is a real warning from Jesus that we should not do these things if we profess as Christians to love God and we have faith in His Word. Obedience to Gods Word is a fruit of genuine faith that works by love because God has already given us His salvation through Jesus. Therefore according to the scriptures faith obeys Gods law (see Romans 3:31; Matthew 7:21-23. Gods 4th commandments is also one of Gods 10 commandments that demonstrate our love towards God and in the new covenant gives us the knowledge of good (moral right doing when obeyed) and evil (moral wrong doing when disobeyed); sin (moral wrong doing when disobeyed) and righteousness (moral right doing when obeyed) *see Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4.

We uphold the law by satisfying the requirements of the law through love. Even Gentiles who are not Christians can do that (Romans 2:14) how much more those who are in the New Covenant. So the law is upheld (Romans 3:31)

On the other hand as you agree the link to Jesus warning in Matthew 15:3-9 is clearly seen in Sunday worship which is a man-made teaching and tradition that has led many away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God against the very warnings of Jesus. As the OP states there is not a single scripture in all of the bible that teaches Gods 4th commandment has now been abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day or rest in honor of resurrection of Jesus. Sunday worship is a man-made teaching and tradition that has led many away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God against the very warnings given by Jesus in Matthew 15:3-9 and according to James if we break anyone of Gods 10 commandments we stand guilty before God of sin. Hebrews 10:26-31 says that those who continue in known unrepentant sin after they are given a knowledge of the truth are in danger of losing their salvation and the judgement to come.

James does not actually say that if Christians break any one of God's 10 Commandments that they are guilty of sin, and you have not shown me any place that says that I must keep the Sabbath as a Christian.
You might think you have so it should be easy to show me again.
James 2:8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it. 11 For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. 13 For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

The law of liberty frees us from the written code. The truth, Jesus, sets us free and gives us the Spirit so we can love as God wants us to. It is not a written code we are under in the New Covenant.
We all sin, break the law, and so are guilty before God of law breaking. But we are free of condemnation in Christ, and He knows how to judge those who are His and those who are not, and it is not in whether they keep the Sabbath or not, especially if the Sabbath was for Jews and the NT says nothing about Christians keeping the Sabbath.

The bible teaches we are to examine ourselves to see if we are in the faith or not believing and following what Gods Word says (2 Corinthians 13:5). The test to know if we know God or do not know God is if we have been born again into Gods new covenant promise to keep His commandments through faith. see 1 John 2:3-4 and Romans 3:31.

Take Care.

"To keep His commandments through faith." Interesting statement. And we do that by being led by the Spirit and loving God and neighbour.
What are the commandments of Jesus mentioned here (1John 2:3-4) You should quote more of the chapter to see it is to love our neighbour. And if we do that we walk in the light and there is no cause of stumbling in us.
1John 2:7 Beloved, I am writing you no new commandment, but an old commandment that you had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word that you have heard. 8 At the same time, it is a new commandment that I am writing to you, which is true in him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true light is already shining. 9 Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness. 10 Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him 2 there is no cause for stumbling. 11 But whoever hates his brother is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

Every time you see "Commandment" in the NT you quote it as if it is saying to keep the Sabbath and imply that if we don't do that we are not Christians. But you don't give anywhere that says we must keep the Sabbath and you cannot answer why what we call the 10 "commandments" is not a part of the Law of Moses.
The whole law is a shadow of the New Covenant in Christ, the better covenant that can save us instead of just condemn us,,,,,,,,,,,, and all you can say is that Christians must do what you want them to in order to be Christian. Like those who wanted Christians to obey the Law of Moses (as in Acts 15), it sounds good and holy but as you put it, it is against the gospel of Jesus, the Law of Liberty.
Nevertheless if you think you should keep the Sabbath holy on a Saturday, do it without condemning your brothers and sisters who see things differently.
You might be called great in heaven and I might be called the least in God's Kingdom but try to understand that what Jesus said there means that I will also be in God's Kingdom. (Matt 5:19)
But also try to understand that I am not saying to disobey the law, I am just saying what the New Covenant is and that the requirements of the Law are fulfilled in loving God and neighbour.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Can everyone see the name of the poster being quoted, or is it my eyes? The text color is so close to off-white, it doesn't even look like gray.

Yes that is a problem I have noticed. Life if full of these things, sigh, it's almost enough to make me want to give up.

3rdAngel

You say that when you say that I am not a Christian if I do not keep the Sabbath, which is part of the law of Moses.
According to the scriptures Jesus says in Matthew 7:21-23 21, Not every one that said to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that does the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22, Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in your name? and in your name have cast out devils? and in your name done many wonderful works? 23, And then will I profess to them, I never knew you: depart from me, you that work iniquity. James teaches the same in James 2:17-26 when he tells us that if we claim to believe Gods Word without obeying what Gods Word says then all we have is the dead faith of devils while Paul, in Romans 3:31 tells us that faith does not abolish Gods law it establishes Gods laws in the lives of those who believe Gods Word. So to say we have saving faith if we do not obey what Gods Word says is not saving faith but the dead faith of devils who say they believe bit do not do what Gods Word says. Saving faith therefore believes and obeys Gods Word. If we say was believe but do not do what Gods Word says then we will be of that group Jesus says "depart from me you who work sin I never knew you" (Matthew 7:21-23). We are told in the scriptures Brian, to examine our selves to see if we are in the faith or not in 2 Corinthians 13:5. John in 1 John 2:3-4 says "hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that said, I know him, and keeps not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." Therefore those who say they are Christians and know God keep the commandments of God because they believe Gods Words. Likewise those who have been born again into Gods new covenant promise do not practice sin which is defined in the scriptures as breaking Gods commandments (see 1 John 3:4:6-9), while Hebrews 10:26-31 says that if we continue in known unrepentant sin after God gives us a knowledge of the truth we will be in danger of the judgement and can lose our salvation. All of the above dear friend are Gods Words not mint and we should believe and follow them (Romans 3:4). Ignoring Gods Words do not make them disappear. According to the scriptures, the words of God we choose to accept or reject will become out judge come judgement day according to Jesus in John 12:47-48. You will probably notice here Brian that I have only quoted new testament scripture here again.
3rdAngel said: However the connection you see in Matthew 15:3-9 that if we follow man-made teachings and traditions that lead us away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God is a real warning from Jesus that we should not do these things if we profess as Christians to love God and we have faith in His Word. Obedience to Gods Word is a fruit of genuine faith that works by love because God has already given us His salvation through Jesus. Therefore according to the scriptures faith obeys Gods law (see Romans 3:31; Matthew 7:21-23. Gods 4th commandments is also one of Gods 10 commandments that demonstrate our love towards God and in the new covenant gives us the knowledge of good (moral right doing when obeyed) and evil (moral wrong doing when disobeyed); sin (moral wrong doing when disobeyed) and righteousness (moral right doing when obeyed) *see Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4.
Your response here...
We uphold the law by satisfying the requirements of the law through love. Even Gentiles who are not Christians can do that (Romans 2:14) how much more those who are in the New Covenant. So the law is upheld (Romans 3:31)
Agreed, however, love, faith and obedience to Gods Words are not separated from each other. How can you say you love your fellow man if you lie to them, steal from them of commit adultery with their spouse? Likewise how can you say you love God and not keep His commandments when Jesus says if you love me keep my commandments (see John 14:15; John 15:10 compare this to Exodus 20:6 where God shows His mercy to those who keep His commandments). So love is not separate from faith and obedience to Gods law. Romans 3:31 says that genuine faith obeys Gods law. Jesus says in Matthew 22:36-40 that on these two great commandments of love to God and man (quoting from Deuteronomy 6:5 and Leviticus 19:18) hang all the law and the prophets in Matthew 22:40. Paul agrees with Jesus when he says that we love our fellow man by obeying those commandments that express our duty of love to our fellow man and quotes Gods' 10 commandments as does James in James 2:8-12 and John in 1 John 5:2-4. Love is not separate from faith and obedience Brian. Faith that works by love is expressed in obedience to Gods law and is the fruit of genuine faith. Anything else according to James in James 2:17-26 is the dead faith of devils and will put us in the group that Jesus says "depart from me you who work iniquity, I never knew you," (see Matthew 7:21-23).
James does not actually say that if Christians break any one of God's 10 Commandments that they are guilty of sin, and you have not shown me any place that says that I must keep the Sabbath as a Christian. You might think you have so it should be easy to show me again. James 2:8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. 9 But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become guilty of all of it. 11 For he who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” If you do not commit adultery but do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty. 13 For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment. The law of liberty frees us from the written code. The truth, Jesus, sets us free and gives us the Spirit so we can love as God wants us to. It is not a written code we are under in the New Covenant. We all sin, break the law, and so are guilty before God of law breaking. But we are free of condemnation in Christ, and He knows how to judge those who are His and those who are not, and it is not in whether they keep the Sabbath or not, especially if the Sabbath was for Jews and the NT says nothing about Christians keeping the Sabbath.
Your words here have no truth in them Brian and are a teaching of lawlessness, which is not supported in the scriptures, but allow me to explain why from the scriptures, if it might be helpful. James 2:10-11 says "10, For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.11, For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if you commit no adultery, yet if you kill, you are become a transgressor of the law. According to James in James 2:10-11 if we break anyone of Gods 10 commandments we stand before God guilty of breaking ALL of Gods commandments and have become a transgressor of Gods law. John agrees with James here in 1 John 3:4 and says transgressing Gods law is sin. "Whoever commits sin transgresses also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. So lets not pretend Brian that if we break anyone of Gods 10 commandments we are not sinning against God. According to the scriptures sin will keep us out of Gods kingdom (see Hebrews 10:26-31). The law of liberty of freedom from sin in those who have been born again into Gods new covenant promise and given a new heart to love and walk in Gods Spirit (see Hebrews 8:10-12 from Jeremiah 31:31-34 and Ezekiel 36:24-27; Galatians 5:16). Those who are born again according to John do not practice sin according to John in 1 John 3:4-9 and sin is the difference (those who practice sin and those who do not practice sin) between the children of God and the children of the devil according to 1 John 3:6-10. If we are still living a life of known unrepentant sin according to 1 John 2:3-4 we need to be born of God to walk in His Spirit *Galatians 5:16. We are free from condemnation and sin when we have received Gods forgiveness through faith (see Romans 8:1-4). If we are still practicing sin we do not know God according to the scriptures and till in bondage to our sins (see John 8:31-36) and need to be born again (see John 3:3-7) because those who are born of God do not practice sin (see 1 John 3:4-10; 1 John 2:3-4). So no dear friend the scriptures teach if we are knowingly breaking anyone of Gods 10 commandments we stand before God guilty of sin *James 2:10-11 so this includes Gods 4th commandment which is one of Gods 10 commandments that give us a knowledge of what sin is when broken (Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7 and 1 John 3:4). Gods Word does not teach lawlessness or Gods salvation through the dead faith of devils (James 2:17-26). Those who follow that path Jesus does not know (see Matthew 7:21-23 and compare 1 John 2:3-4) and John calls them the children of the devil in 1 John 3:6-10. Theses are all Gods Words not mine Brian. May you receive them and be blessed. Ignoring them does not make them disappear according to Jesus *John 12:47-48.

Take Care Brian.

Last edited:

Oeste

Go to your profile page. Click on preferences. Click on default. Voila, color! Name of poster being quoted is in orange. That is why have d to see in blac and white.

ANYONE interested in keeping their eyesight should do this.

Thank you @RabbiO!

If you notice Exodus 20:11 it is stating that the reason for the Sabbath commandment is that God blessed the Sabbath and made it a holy day of rest and is referring back to Genesis 2:1-3. Jesus states in Mark 2:27 that God made the Sabbath for mankind. Therefore God blessed the Sabbath and made the Sabbath a holy day of rest for mankind in Genesis 2:1-3, and commands His people to keep it a holy day of rest in Exodus 20:8-11 which is Gods 4th commandment of the 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken (Romans 3:20).

On the seventh day of creation, all of creation was at rest with God.

It's important to realize this meant creation enjoyed the harmony of God's rest. It was a gift from God. It did not mean the other 6 days were to be a toil on creation. The first 6 days were not made for mankind's toil.

Let's look at what it does say:

“8 Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (Exodus 20)

The commandment says the Jews were to toil six days and be gifted a day of rest. It does not say the same for our universe after the creation event.

If this commandment is for all mankind since creation, then 3rd Angel should be able to show how Adam toiled in the garden for 6 days but kept the Sabbath. Lacking this, I don't see any biblical basis for his theory regarding the Sabbath.

For example, the first commandment to Adam was not to eat from the tree of good and evil. There is no mention of a Sabbath here or in all of Genesis, unless of course, you make up you mind to put it there.

What's to Remember?

For many it comes from a misunderstanding of what the Israelites were suppose to remember. Here, there is claim that this points back to Genesis 2, however none of the Israelites were around at that time. No, what they were to remember was God's command to Israel just 3 weeks earlier:

23 He said to them, “This is what the Lord commanded: ‘Tomorrow is to be a day of sabbath rest, a holy sabbath to the Lord. So bake what you want to bake and boil what you want to boil. Save whatever is left and keep it until morning. So they saved it until morning, as Moses commanded, and it did not stink or get maggots in it. "Eat it today," Moses said, "because today is a Sabbath to the LORD. You will not find any of it on the ground today. Six days you are to gather it, but on the seventh day, the Sabbath, there will not be any." Nevertheless, some of the people went out on the seventh day to gather it, but they found none. Then the LORD said to Moses, "How long will you refuse to keep my commands and my instructions? Bear in mind that the LORD has given you the Sabbath; that is why on the sixth day he gives you bread for two days. Everyone is to stay where he is on the seventh day; no one is to go out." So the people rested on the seventh day."’” (Exodus 16).

Did you notice the underlined above? They Israelites went out on the seventh day to gather food??!

This is not a God sanctioned activity to engage when observing the Sabbath. It could be excused if the nation is starving, but God provided Israel with plenty of food the night before. It's pretty clear, by any standard of reading the text, that they had never heard of the Sabbath or how to observe it prior to Moses, so if mankind was obligated to observe the Sabbath since creation, apparently someone forgot to give Israel (or any other nation) "the memo".

Once they had been instructed on how to keep the Sabbath (something they would never have been allowed to keep with hundreds of years under Pharoah), God kindly asks, in Exodus 20, to remember what he had commanded to them 3 weeks before at Exodus 16.

It's that simple. I see no need to invent a long, elaborate narrative about keeping the Sabbath since creation. Exodus 16 is the first time the Sabbath was mentioned and the first time it was observed, as the actions of the Jews clearly demonstrated.

Conclusion: Creation was at rest in God as of the 7th Day. We are at rest in Christ the same way, as our Creator is also our redeemer. This rest is not just on the 7th day, as was offered the Jews, but every day. Christ is our sabbatical rest. We are once again reconciled to God (2 Corinthians 5:18-21; Romans 5:8-11 as all of creation prior to the fall.

Thus there is no need to take the yoke of the law and it's single day of rest. Instead, we take the yoke Christ offered. However, if you feel the need to join in and celebrate the Sabbath it's not forbidden to you. What is forbidden is the need to make it a compulsion. There is no commandment compelling Christians to celebrate the Sabbath, and likewise their is no command against it.

It's a conscience decision clearly founded in scripture. The work of creation was fully complete with God. Adam had no work to add toward creation except to enjoy his walk with God. Likewise, the work of redemption for the believer is fully complete on the cross. We have no work to add toward redemption, except to enjoy our rest and walk with Christ. Either way, our final rest was and always will be Christ, whether or not we celebrate a Sabbath, and not in any "additional work or works" we manage to conjure from scripture.

Oeste

What is the Lord's Day?

The Lord's Day is Resurrection Day. There is nothing in scripture that states the Lord's Day is the Sabbath. This is a false teaching against the church made by a variety of Sabbath keepers. However the Sabbath can fall on a Sunday, depending on how you keep your week.

As I mentioned on another thread, the Lord's Day is on a Sunday because Resurrection Day fell on the 1st day of the week. We count the 1st day of the week as Sunday, thus the Lord's Day falls on a Sunday. In other words, the Lord's Day is not celebrated because it's Sunday but because it was the 1st day of the week which we associate with Sunday. This should negates any nonsense about Constantine and Sunday.

Contrary to what some have posted here, the Lord's Day is not mentioned in the Old Testament. In fact, it is mentioned only once, and that's at Revelation 1:10. We should not find this unusual, as the term came into use only after our Lord's resurrection. If the Lord's Day were the Sabbath Day we would expect to find it in the Old Testament.

God's "ownership" of the Sabbath day or "Lord's day is also repeated elsewhere as "MY" (ownership of the day as in the Greek used in REVELATION 1:10 κυριακη). Other scriptures in the bible pointing to "the Lords day" as being the Sabbath day...
  • MATTHEW 12:8 FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY. (the Sabbath day is Lord's day)
  • ISAIAH 58:13-14 [13], If you turn away your foot from the SABBATH, from doing your pleasure on MY HOLY DAY (God's claim to ownership of the Sabbath day); and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honorable; and shall honor him, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words: [14], Then shall you delight yourself in the LORD; and I will cause you to ride on the high places of the earth, and feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father: for the mouth of the LORD has spoken it.
  • LEVITICUS 19:30 You shall keep MY SABBATHS, (God's claim to ownership of the Sabbath day)and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.
  • EZEKIEL 20:12 Moreover also I gave them MY SABBATHS, (God's claim to ownership of the Sabbath day) to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.
The "Lord's Day" is not found in any of the scripture above, except at Revelation 1:10.

Besides, we have a term for "Sabbath Day" in both the Old and New Testaments, and that is "Sabbath Day". There was no need for John to create another and not scripture declaring these two different terms interchangeable.

Who actually "owns" the Sabbath?

I would like to ask about what I see as a peculiarity in your rationale. You consistently state that our Lord God "owns" the Sabbath. I don't disagree with you. However your argument appears to be that the Sabbath must be celebrated on a Saturday. That would move ownership from the Lord to a Saturday and not a 7th Day. It's as if the Sabbath is bound more to the Day than it is to the Lord.

If this is not true, then you should readily admit that a 7th day could fall on a Sunday, Monday, or any other day depending on how one's culture starts their week. In other words, Sabbath still belongs to the Lord, and not to a Hebrew calendar.

So, if the Day owns the Sabbath, and that Day is Saturday, then Saturday is the day we need to worship to follow the Sabbath. In this scenario, man is made to worship on God's Sabbath Day.

However, if the Sabbath is owned by the Lord, and the Lord tells us his Sabbath was made for man, then we can worship any day, because the Lord made them all, and the Sabbath was made just for us, and not us just for the Day.

Is this correct?

3rdAngel

What is the Lord's Day?

The Lord's Day is Resurrection Day. There is nothing in scripture that states the Lord's Day is the Sabbath. This is a false teaching against the church made by a variety of Sabbath keepers. However the Sabbath can fall on a Sunday, depending on how you keep your week.

As I mentioned on another thread, the Lord's Day is on a Sunday because Resurrection Day fell on the 1st day of the week. We count the 1st day of the week as Sunday, thus the Lord's Day falls on a Sunday. In other words, the Lord's Day is not celebrated because it's Sunday but because it was the 1st day of the week which we associate with Sunday. This should negates any nonsense about Constantine and Sunday.

Contrary to what some have posted here, the Lord's Day is not mentioned in the Old Testament. In fact, it is mentioned only once, and that's at Revelation 1:10. We should not find this unusual, as the term came into use only after our Lord's resurrection. If the Lord's Day were the Sabbath Day we would expect to find it in the Old Testament.

The "Lord's Day" is not found in any of the scripture above, except at Revelation 1:10.

Besides, we have a term for "Sabbath Day" in both the Old and New Testaments, and that is "Sabbath Day". There was no need for John to create another and not scripture declaring these two different terms interchangeable.

Who actually "owns" the Sabbath?

I would like to ask about what I see as a peculiarity in your rationale. You consistently state that our Lord God "owns" the Sabbath. I don't disagree with you. However your argument appears to be that the Sabbath must be celebrated on a Saturday.That would move ownership from the Lord to a Saturday and not a 7th Day. It's as if the Sabbath is bound more to the Day than it is to the Lord.

If this is not true, then you should readily admit that a 7th day could fall on a Sunday, Monday, or any other day depending on how one's culture starts their week. In other words, Sabbath still belongs to the Lord, and not to a Hebrew calendar.

So, if the Day owns the Sabbath, and that Day is Saturday, then Saturday is the day we need to worship to follow the Sabbath. In this scenario, man is made to worship on God's Sabbath Day.

However, if the Sabbath is owned by the Lord, and the Lord tells us his Sabbath was made for man, then we can worship any day, because the Lord made them all, and the Sabbath was made just for us, and not us just for the Day.

Is this correct?
No that is not correct at all and your post does not make any sense. How can a day own the Sabbath? God does and God says that His holy day that he blessed for all mankind in the seventh day of the week in Genesis 2:1-3 and Exodus 20:10. The Sabbath is not any day of the week according to the scriptures. Exodus 20:10 defines the Sabbath day as the seventh day of the week agreeing with Genesis 2:1-3.

SUNDAY WORSHIP IS NOT THE LORD'S DAY

The term "the Lord's day" was used by some in the early Church as a reference to Sunday worship in celebration of the resurrection of Jesus. It comes from a scripture in the bible found in Revelation 1

REVELATION 1:10 10, I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet

The Greek words used for the day that JOHN was in the Spirit of is the for Lord's day are

REVELATION 1:10 εγενομην εν πνευματι εν τη κυριακη ημερα και ηκουσα οπισω μου φωνην μεγαλην ως σαλπιγγος

The word "κυριακη" (translit. "kuriake") is an Adjective - Dative - Singular - Feminine. This means it is being used as a 'possessive' as ownership or belonging to ("of", see 1 Corinthians 11:20, "the Lord's supper"), which means the "day" in context belongs to "the Lord". It is literally "the Lord's (belonging to) day". This means, that the "day" in context is uniquely "the Lord's" out of all the 7 days of the week, for the day under consideration is that which exists within the week, as a day which repeats weekly. This is extremely important, as those who incorrectly assume it to mean "the first [day] of the week" in lieu of Jesus' resurrection, cannot get a weekly occurrence out of a one-time event, in fulfillment of typology of the Firstfruit/Wavesheaf in Leviticus 23:9-14, as made known in 1 Corinthians 15:20,23

The problem here however is that there is not a single scripture that references Sunday or the first day of the week (bible names for the days of the week) to being "the Lords day" in scripture.

According to the scripture "the Lords day" however can be referenced to "the Sabbath day" of Gods' 4th commandment found in Exodus 20:8-11.

Letting the scriptures answer this question

WHAT DAY IS THE LORD'S DAY ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES?

MATTHEW 12:8 FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY

This then promotes a bit of a dilemma for the Church as there is not a single scripture in all of the bible that days "the Lords day" from Revelation 1:10 is Sunday. Yet there is many scriptures referencing "the Lords day" or Gods' specific claims to ownership of any particular day to the Sabbath day that he blessed and set aside as a holy day of rest for a memorial of creation (see Genesis 2:1-3) and made one of Gods' 10 commandments (Exodus 20:8-11).

God's "ownership" of the Sabbath day or "Lord's day is also repeated elsewhere as "MY" (ownership of the day as in the Greek used in REVELATION 1:10 κυριακη). Other scriptures in the bible pointing to "the Lords day" as being the Sabbath day...

MATTHEW 12:8 FOR THE SON OF MAN IS LORD EVEN OF THE SABBATH DAY. (the Sabbath day is Lord's day)

ISAIAH 58:13-14 [13], If you turn away your foot from the SABBATH, from doing your pleasure on MY HOLY DAY (God's claim to ownership of the Sabbath day); and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honorable; and shall honor him, not doing your own ways, nor finding your own pleasure, nor speaking your own words: [14], Then shall you delight yourself in the LORD; and I will cause you to ride on the high places of the earth, and feed you with the heritage of Jacob your father: for the mouth of the LORD has spoken it.

LEVITICUS 19:30 You shall keep MY SABBATHS, (God's claim to ownership of the Sabbath day)and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

EZEKIEL 20:12 Moreover also I gave them MY SABBATHS, (God's claim to ownership of the Sabbath day) to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.

κυριακῇ ἡμέρᾳ used in Revelations 1:10 is in reference to the Lord's ownership of the day. It does not say that this day is in reference to μιά των σαββάτων which means the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK.

The term "the Lords day" is indeed a different term used by John. As can be shown from the scriptures, the literal Greek translation mean a day that the Lord claims ownership over. John here is referring to Jesus as the God of creation and Lord of the Sabbath day because He created it. Not something known or understood by many in the old testament or the new. There is not a single scripture linking Sunday or the first day of the week to Revelation 1:10 as being "the Lords day". The term "the Lords day" as a reference to Sunday worship is a man-made teaching and tradition that cannot be supported by scripture. However, the Sabbath day is something both Jesus and Jesus as God claims ownership over as shown in both old and new testament scriptures in this post.

Take Care...

Last edited:

3rdAngel

On the seventh day of creation, all of creation was at rest with God. It's important to realize this meant creation enjoyed the harmony of God's rest. It was a gift from God. It did not mean the other 6 days were to be a toil on creation. The first 6 days were not made for mankind's toil.
Not sure what your point is here. Jesus says the Sabbath was made for mankind in Mark 2:27. Mankind was made on the sixth day of the creation week according to Genesis 1:26-31 and rested with God on the seventh day that God rested from His finished work of creation that he blessed and made a holy day of rest for all mankind in Genesis 2:1-3.
Let's look at what it does say: “8 Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy. (Exodus 20) The commandment says the Jews were to toil six days and be gifted a day of rest. It does not say the same for our universe after the creation event.
What is your point here? The Sabbath commandment is a very simple one. If we read what the scripture says God commands us to "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy." - Exodus 20:8-11. Gods 4th commandment is one of Gods 10 commandments that give us the knowledge of what sin is according to the scriptures (see Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7 and 1 John 3:4). According to James in James 2:10-11 if we break anyone of Gods 10 commandment we stand guilty before God of sin. There is not a single scripture in all of the bible that says Gods 4th commandment is now abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest in honor of the resurrection. Sunday worship is a man-made teaching and tradition that has led many away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God against the very warnings of Jesus in Matthew 15:3-9. Jesus says if we follow man-made teachings and traditions that lead us away from God and His Word we are not worshiping God. This then begs the question who do we believe and follow; God or man? This is the testing questions coming to everyone of us. Jesus says that the hour is coming and now is that the true worshipers will worship the father in Spirit and in truth. God is a Spirit and those who worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in truth *John 4:23-24. God is calling us all out from following man-made teachings and traditions back to His Word to worship Him in Spirit and in truth. Gods sheep will hear His voice (the Word) and follow him. Those who do not here and do not follow according to the scriptures are not His sheep according to the scriptures (John 10:26-27). Its time to unlearn the lies we have all been taught at Sunday school.
If this commandment is for all mankind since creation, then 3rd Angel should be able to show how Adam toiled in the garden for 6 days but kept the Sabbath. Lacking this, I don't see any biblical basis for his theory regarding the Sabbath.
There is no theory. There is only Gods Words and an argument in silence is not an argument for what Gods Word says. It is Jesus not me that says in Mark 2:27 "The Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath. The Greek word for mankind being used by Jesus here is ἄνθρωπος (ánthrōpos | G444) and means human beings or mankind. So to say there is no biblical basis for the Sabbath being made for mankind is to simply deny the very words and teachings of Jesus (Gods Word) that we are to believe and follow.

more to come...

3rdAngel

What's to Remember? For many it comes from a misunderstanding of what the Israelites were suppose to remember. Here, there is claim that this points back to Genesis 2, however none of the Israelites were around at that time. No, what they were to remember was God's command to Israel just 3 weeks earlier: 23 He said to them, “This is what the Lord commanded: ‘Tomorrow is to be a day of sabbath rest, a holy sabbath to the Lord. So bake what you want to bake and boil what you want to boil. Save whatever is left and keep it until morning. So they saved it until morning, as Moses commanded, and it did not stink or get maggots in it. "Eat it today," Moses said, "because today is a Sabbath to the LORD. You will not find any of it on the ground today. Six days you are to gather it, but on the seventh day, the Sabbath, there will not be any." Nevertheless, some of the people went out on the seventh day to gather it, but they found none. Then the LORD said to Moses, "How long will you refuse to keep my commands and my instructions? Bear in mind that the LORD has given you the Sabbath; that is why on the sixth day he gives you bread for two days. Everyone is to stay where he is on the seventh day; no one is to go out." So the people rested on the seventh day." (Exodus 16). Did you notice the underlined above? They Israelites went out on the seventh day to gather food??!
I think you missed the point. None of the Israelite's were around at creation and I agree. That does not mean that God did not make the Sabbath for mankind as Jesus tells us that God made the Sabbath for mankind in Mark 2:27. Lets take your argument further, there was no man created at creation, yet we have a creation narrative before mankind was even created. Does that mean that the creation narrative is not true? The point here is that your argument that none of the Israelite's were around is not relevant. We have a creation narrative given by God to Moses because God was the creator and created all things and told Moses what happened and it is God that tells us what happened in the creation week in Genesis 1:1-31 and Genesis 2:1-3. So no I reject your claim here that Gods 4th commandment does not point back to Genesis 2:1-3 because it clearly does.

Lets look at the scriptures...

Exodus 20:8-11 [8], REMEMBER THE SABBATH DAY, to KEEP IT HOLY. <Why?> Because God made it Holy for mankind and commands us to keep it as a Holy day) [9], Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: [10], But THE SEVENTH DAY IS THE SABBATH OF THE LORD THY GOD: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: <WHY> [11], For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and RESTED THE SEVENTH DAY: WHEREFORE THE LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, AND MADE IT HOLY.

Let me ask you these questions...

Q1 When did God bless the seventh day? - Genesis 2:1-3
Q2 When did God make holy the seventh day? - Genesis 2:1-3

Genesis 2:1-3[1], Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. [2], And ON THE SEVENTH DAY God ended his work which he had made; and HE RESTED [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; KEEP SABBATH] on the SEVENTH DAY from all his work which he had made. [3], And GOD BLESSED THE SEVENTH DAY AND MADE IT HOLY: BECAUSE THAT IN IT HE HAD RESTED [שׁבת; shâbath H7673; Keep Sabbath] from all his work which God created and made.

Note the same wording used in Exodus 20:8-11 specifically Exodus 20:11 tell us from the scriptures the reason we are to remember the Sabbath day is because of what God said and did in Genesis 2:1-3. This is where God blessed the seventh day of the week and made the seventh day of the week a holy day of rest for all mankind (Mark 2:27).
This is not a God sanctioned activity to engage when observing the Sabbath. It could be excused if the nation is starving, but God provided Israel with plenty of food the night before. It's pretty clear, by any standard of reading the text, that they had never heard of the Sabbath or how to observe it prior to Moses, so if mankind was obligated to observe the Sabbath since creation, apparently someone forgot to give Israel (or any other nation) "the memo". Once they had been instructed on how to keep the Sabbath (something they would never have been allowed to keep with hundreds of years under Pharoah), God kindly asks, in Exodus 20, to remember what he had commanded to them 3 weeks before at Exodus 16. It's that simple. I see no need to invent a long, elaborate narrative about keeping the Sabbath since creation. Exodus 16 is the first time the Sabbath was mentioned and the first time it was observed, as the actions of the Jews clearly demonstrated.
According to the scriptures Exodus 16 Gods people were breaking the Sabbath and not believing and following Gods Word. Here your reading into the scriptures what is not written in the scriptures. To make the assumption that Gods people had never heard of the Sabbath before. That is not written in the scriptures and something you are trying to argue here that is not said in the scriptures. Yet I know Gods Word and it tells me in Genesis 26:5 "That Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws." Now if Abraham obeyed God's voice, kept Gods commandments, statutes and laws, why would you think that His descendants did not know them? It is clear to me that the scriptures disagree with you on this point. Furthermore, you keep forgetting that Jesus tells us in Mark 2:27 that God made the Sabbath for mankind. There was no Jew, no Israelite, no Moses, no Abraham when God made the Sabbath for mankind. There was only Adam and Eve and their descendants. Making arguments in silence and to make assumptions not written in the scriptures is not an argument to justify sin according to the scriptures (1 John 3:4; Hebrews 10:26-31).
Conclusion: Creation was at rest in God as of the 7th Day. We are at rest in Christ the same way, as our Creator is also our redeemer. This rest is not just on the 7th day, as was offered the Jews, but every day. Christ is our sabbatical rest. We are once again reconciled to God (2 Corinthians 5:18-21; Romans 5:8-11 as all of creation prior to the fall. Thus there is no need to take the yoke of the law and it's single day of rest. Instead, we take the yoke Christ offered. However, if you feel the need to join in and celebrate the Sabbath it's not forbidden to you. What is forbidden is the need to make it a compulsion. There is no commandment compelling Christians to celebrate the Sabbath, and likewise their is no command against it. It's a conscience decision clearly founded in scripture. The work of creation was fully complete with God. Adam had no work to add toward creation except to enjoy his walk with God. Likewise, the work of redemption for the believer is fully complete on the cross. We have no work to add toward redemption, except to enjoy our rest and walk with Christ. Either way, our final rest was and always will be Christ, whether or not we celebrate a Sabbath, and not in any "additional work or works" we manage to conjure from scripture.
Conclusion: As stated in the OP already, there is not a single scripture in all of the bible that says Gods 4th commandment is now abolished and we are now commanded to keep Sunday as a holy day of rest in honor of the resurrection. Sunday worship is a man-made teaching and tradition that has led many away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God against the very warnings of Jesus in Matthew 15:3-9. Jesus says if we follow man-made teachings and traditions that lead us away from God and His Word we are not worshiping God. This then begs the question who do we believe and follow; God or man? This is the testing questions coming to everyone of us. Jesus says that the hour is coming and now is that the true worshipers will worship the father in Spirit and in truth. God is a Spirit and those who worship Him must worship Him in Spirit and in truth *John 4:23-24. God is calling us all out from following man-made teachings and traditions back to His Word to worship Him in Spirit and in truth. Gods sheep will hear His voice (the Word) and follow him. Those who do not here and do not follow according to the scriptures are not His sheep according to the scriptures (John 10:26-27). Its time to unlearn the lies we have all been taught at Sunday school and hear the call of God to come out from following man-made teachings and traditions that lead us away from God's Word to break the commandments of God and to return to seek to find, know and follow God through His Word (the bible)

Take Care.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
Not sure if you have been following my posts throughout this OP? I have only been providing you and others in this OP with scripture and letting the scriptures do the talking while not reading into the scriptures what the scriptures do not say or teach.
I was trying to follow.
Don’t you believe that Hebrews 4 means that everyday is Gods Sabbath (post # 214) in agreement with Kenny? The scriptures do not teach that everyday is the Sabbath. It teaches that "the seventh day" is Gods creation Sabbath in Exodus 20:10 in agreement with Genesis 2:1-3 which is what the scriptures say word for word. To claim that everyday is the Sabbath day is the read into the scriptures what is not written in the scriptures.
What @Kenny is saying... I believe, is that the seventh day has not ended. In other words, mankind has not gone into an eighth, ninth, tenth, ... day. We are still in the seventh... from God's perspective. I agree with that.
Hebrews 4:3
For we who have exercised faith do enter into the rest, just as he has said: “So I swore in my anger, ‘They will not enter into my rest,’” although his works were finished from the founding of the world.

3rdAngel, where did you read, in Exodus 20:10, Gods creation Sabbath.
Exodus 20:10
but the seventh day is a sabbath to Jehovah your God. You must not do any work, neither you nor your son nor your daughter nor your slave man nor your slave girl nor your domestic animal nor your foreign resident who is inside your settlements.

This is the weekly Sabbath day, and is not related to the Seventh day God rested.
I think you are of the view that the six creative days were each a 24 hour day. Am I correct?
If so, I have a question. How long was the day God created the heavens and the earth? Genesis 2:4

According to the scriptures, the night and the daylight are one day in Genesis 1:3-5
According to the scriptures, one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 2 Peter 3:8

Why would God require the Egyptians, or the Canaanites to keep the Sabbath? They did not believe or obey Gods Words and were lost in theirs sins and unbelief and because of these reasons were not Gods people.
Are you saying that the Israelites believed and obeyed God's word?
Nor according to scripture. In fact, of them, God said... They are an obstinate - stiff-necked - people , and he did not choose them due to any righteousness on their part. In fact, he would have exterminated them, had it not been for the promise to Abraham.
Deuteronomy 9:6
And you must know that it is not for your righteousness that Jehovah your God is giving you this good land to take possession of it; for you are a stiff-necked people.

Well that is not true at all. All of those scriptures quoted God words (verbatim). The scriptures posted earlier state in Exodus 20:8-11 in particular the reason for the Sabbath in Exodus 20:11 was that we are to "Remember the Sabbath day to keep it holy (Exodus 20:8) was that, in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the SEVENTH DAY: wherefore the LORD BLESSED THE SABBATH, and MADE IT HOLY" They are Gods Words (word for word from the scriptures). Jesus says that the Sabbath was made for man kind (human beings) and there was only Adam and Eve who were made on the 6th day of the creation week when God made the Sabbath for all mankind (Mark 2:27). There was no Moses, no Israel, no Jew when God made the Sabbath for man. God commanded us to keep the Sabbath as His people in Exodus 20:8-11 which is Gods 4th commandment of the 10 commandments that the new covenant scriptures teach give us the knowledge of what sin is in Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7 and 1 John 3:4 and according to James if we break anyone of them we stand guilty before God of breaking all of them in James 2:10-11.
May I ask... Why do you keep saying "God commanded us to keep the Sabbath as His people..."?
That one has got me.

God commanded the Israelites because he chose them as his people, and that was a sign between them as part of the agreement - the covenant God made with them.
Yes, his rest day is holy, and they were privileged as his people, to enter into it... if they were obedient.
They failed. They broke the covenant - the agreement.

The nations around... everyone else, that is, did not have that privilege. To do so, one had to join the Israelites, ...or be a captives among them.

Sunday worship on the other hand as a replacement for Gods 4th commandment as a holy day of rest in honor of the resurrection of Jesus is a man-made teaching and tradition that has led many away from God and His Word to break the commandments of God against the very warnings of Jesus given in Matthew 15:3-9 (see further scripture support in post # 357 linked).
On this matter of Sunday worship...
When did the apostles have meetings for worship?

Here, they are meeting...
Acts of the Apostles 2:1 Now while the day of the Festival of Pentecost was in progress, they were all together at the same place.
What day was that?
Leviticus 23:16 You will count off 50 days until the day after the seventh Sabbath, and then you should present a new grain offering to Jehovah.
That would be Sunday, wasn't it?

In the same book, of Acts, we read... just a few verses after... And day after day they were in constant attendance in the temple with a united purpose - Acts of the Apostles 2:46

So, to the early Christians, was the day, the important thing? Or was worshiping God everyday the important thing?
They were the true followers of Christ Jesus - true Christians, and they were not focused on worshiping God on any one particular day.
what does that tell us?

According to the new covenant scriptures, Gods Israel in the new covenant are no longer those born of the flesh of the seed of Abraham (Romans 9:6-8; Romans 2:28-29 and Galatians 3:28-29) but are now all those who are born again of the Spirit of God (see John 3:3-7; compare 1 John 3:4-10 and Galatians 5:16; Romans 8:1-4) into Gods new covenant promise (Hebrews 8:10-12 from Jeremiah 31:31-34 and Ezekiel 36:24-27).
Yes, they are no longer those born in the flesh.
How did that happen? Colossians 2:13-17; Ephesians 2:11-16
He kindly forgave us all our trespasses and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake. ...Therefore, do not let anyone judge you about what you eat and drink or about the observance of a festival or of the new moon or of a sabbath. Those things are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to the Christ.

But now in union with Christ Jesus, you who were once far off have come to be near by the blood of the Christ. ...the one who made the two groups one and destroyed the wall in between that fenced them off. By means of his flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees, in order to make the two groups in union with himself into one new man and to make peace...

Therefore, Gods Israel according to the scriptures in the new covenant are now all those who through faith believe and follow Gods Word and we are all now one in Christ (Romans 10:11-13; Colossians 3:11).
Through faith, yes.
What does that mean? Galatians 3:10-14; Galatians 3:17-25
...the Law is not based on faith. Rather, “anyone who does these things will live by means of them.” Christ purchased us, releasing us from the curse of the Law by becoming a curse instead of us, because it is written: “Accursed is every man hung upon a stake.” This was so that the blessing of Abraham would come to the nations by means of Christ Jesus...
The Law, which came into being 430 years later, does not invalidate the covenant previously made by God, so as to abolish the promise. For if the inheritance is based on law, it is no longer based on a promise; but God has kindly given it to Abraham through a promise.

Why, then, the Law? It was added to make transgressions manifest, until the offspring should arrive to whom the promise had been made; and it was transmitted through angels by the hand of a mediator.
However, before the faith arrived, we were being guarded under law, being handed over into custody, looking to the faith that was about to be revealed. So the Law became our guardian leading to Christ, so that we might be declared righteous through faith. But now that the faith has arrived, we are no longer under a guardian.

Gentile believers have been grafted in with Jewish believers (Romans 11:13-27). If we are not a part of Gods Israel in the new covenant we have no part in God's new covenant promise *Hebrews 8:10-12 (further scripture support provided in post # 75 linked). God never made His new covenant with Gentiles (Hebrews 8:10-12 from Jeremiah 31:31-34 and Ezekiel 36:24-27) according to the scriptures.

More to come...
Can we be part of the new covenant if we hold on to the decrees of the old covenant?
Not according to scripture. Colossians 2:14 - ...and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake.

God's new covenant was made with a little flock. Luke 12:32 Have no fear, little flock, for your Father has approved of giving you the Kingdom.
That covenant was made on the day of Pentecost, Nisan 14, 33 C.E. Luke 22:28-30 However, you are the ones who have stuck with me in my trials; and I make a covenant with you, just as my Father has made a covenant with me, for a kingdom...

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
What @Kenny is saying... I believe, is that the seventh day has not ended. In other words, mankind has not gone into an eighth, ninth, tenth, ... day. We are still in the seventh... from God's perspective. I agree with that.
Hebrews 4:3
For we who have exercised faith do enter into the rest, just as he has said: “So I swore in my anger, ‘They will not enter into my rest,’” although his works were finished from the founding of the world.
Excellently said!!!!!