• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is Mystery Babylon?

Orias

Left Hand Path
I am thinking the United States or Russia or China, but probably the United States. Thoughts?

Jumi

Originally it was in Rome, people like to take the symbol and apply it to what they dislike.

Loviatar

Red Tory/SpongeBob Conservative
It's explicitly described as a city that sits on seven hills. That's traditionally a reference to Rome, but I suppose any of these could work: List of cities claimed to be built on seven hills - Wikipedia Of the countries you listed, only Russia's capital or largest city is on seven hills. That combined with the description of "Gog/Magog" (an army that's supposed to rise against Israel at the end of days) as to the north of Israel has led a lot of the more educated contingent of fundie apocalypse-watchers to assume the Beast will come out of the Third Rome.

That said, Istanbul, Tehran, Mecca, and Jerusalem are also contenders and also often get mention in apocalyptic literature, the latter two with weaker justification. The first one could also fit the "Gog and Magog" bit though, and while it's not directly north of Israel so this one seems muddled, current geopolitics makes the second an interesting contender I suppose.

Last edited:

Faithofchristian

I am thinking the United States or Russia or China, but probably the United States. Thoughts?

Mystery Babylon the Great, is not any certain country. It's when all government's of the world come together to form a one world Government. That will control all the government's of the world.

Etritonakin

Ironically, discussing this topic and specifying where and what it might be can get you booted from some forums altogether (happened to me) -and make you rather unpopular -even of you separate good and sincere people from an overall institution. However, suffice it to say for now that the reference is to something rooted in the Babylonian mystery religion which has great influence over governments -also specifically during reign of the beast at the end -though their relationship will not be friendly in the end -and that city will be burned by the beast.
Identifying the beast and beast that rises from abyss will also help identify it.

The beast, etc., will also eventually set up the destruction at Jerusalem called the abomination of desolation (when those in Judea are to flee when Jerusaelm is compassed by armies) -but Jerusalem does not fit the description, and will be "a burdensome stone" rather than being influential.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
It’s all false religion. It fits the descriptions the Bible gives in explaining it, in Revelation 17 & 18.