• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is God during disasters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Renaldo said:
Here's another of my random pieces.

Over billions of years ago, there's nature, but no mankind exist.
After 20 years from now, there's mankind, but nature's gone.

What does that tell you? Is it really mankind's fault? If the earth
was perfect:

then, believing that passage, is mankind to blame?
Sorry Renaldo; do you mean 20 years from the time when Mankind first existed ? - and when was 'Nature gone'?:)

martha

Since I believe in God and the hereafter, I will speak from that point of view. God creates life to be enjoyed and lived. God creates death that we will be with Him and finally feel His awesome love again. Life is just an experience IMHO, until we move on.
There are millions of people dying all over the world at this very moment. That doesn't seem to phase us, does it? When an event happens in the world that all the world focuses on at once, then it hits home and we question why. Do we spend our every waking moment reaching out to those in need. Have you ever witness the starvation in another country? Have you gone there to help in some way? Most of us would have to say no. If we, who are intelligent and compassionate really cared in that way, there would be no poverty, no homeless. How dare we point a finger at God when we see such things and go on our merry way saying , " Gee that's too bad about those people in that country." or " Gee that's too bad about those poor people in our own country."

I just had a thought; If we are supposed to be created in the image and likeness of God, then who's to say that God isn't just like us? He as we, does what he can to help and guide, but He leaves us to our own way. If I give my time at a soup kitchen, or help someone out, I feel good for doing it. At the same time I feel bad that I am not able to do more. Perhaps God works in the same way. Perhaps He is there for us in His own being, or through the love and kindness He sends through others. He does what He can and then moves on to the next trouble, just as we do. Think of the billions of people in life with problems. If I were God, I would be tired! As I see it, God made a perfectly beautiful world and universe, it is many of man's actions down through the ages that is making a lot of these changes in nature; ie, pollution, global warming, etc.

For those who have faith in something, that will sustain them. For those who have no faith and believe that this life is all you get, I would suggest that you live a really good and happy life. Follow your dreams and enjoy yourself, for in the end death is inevitable and there is no God to blame for death in your view.

We must learn to accept death whether it comes one by one or enmasse.

We won't know the truth until we get there, if there is a there. I believe there is.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Renaldo said:
Over billions of years ago, there's nature, but no mankind exist.
After 20 years from now, there's mankind, but nature's gone.
Renaldo, time has only existed for 6000 years. If you add up the ages of the OT patriarchs, and do some simple research, you'll see that it's roughly that.

What does that tell you? Is it really mankind's fault? If the earth
was perfect: ... then, believing that passage, is mankind to blame?
Yes we are, with some help from the "darkside". But there's coming a time when God is going to intervene and put a stop to the downward spiral we're on. You see, God is still on the throne, and He still has the final say over what happens.

He created the Earth, gave it to Adam and Eve, who was tricked out of it by Satan, who offered it to Jesus, Who declined it at the time, Who is going to come back and reclaim it by force, and restore it to a greater brilliance.

Snowbear

Nita Okhata
michel said:
Not really; Blame the people who drained 'the bowl' of new Orleands to build a city on a flood plain. Perhaps they had no way of fortelling what would happen in the future, bu I suppose the blame (If there is any) should be put at the feet of those who sited New Orleands where it is.:help:
Someone foretold.... in a Nat'l Geographic Article back in October 2004 :eek:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Renaldo, Are you Deut disguised as Bill Gates, or what?

Yeah, it's a debating forum, but my point was apparently lost on you. We can debate the existance of God forever and not come to any conclusions. I suppose we can even debate on what right He has to run His universe the way He wants to run it, but there doesn't seem to be much point in it. The question posed as the title of this thread was, "Where is God during disasters?" To me, this presupposes that there is a God. Thus, I answered the initial question from that standpoint. I neither accused God of cruelty or defended Him. I simply answered the question. That was obviously my first mistake.

As a Christian, I seldom post on threads of this sort because all I or anyone else can offer is opinions. I can't offer proof for my point of view and neither can anyone else. Consequently, the discussion just goes around in circles. I tend to stick to discussing threads where one side or the other can offer conclusive evidence to support their position, threads where there is at least the potential of their being a "winner." So don't worry about tailoring your questions to my "satisfaction standards." I've pretty much expressed my opinions as well as I'm able and will move on to a topic of greater interest to me.

JerryL

As a Christian, I seldom post on threads of this sort because all I or anyone else can offer is opinions. I can't offer proof for my point of view and neither can anyone else.
Because negative claims are unprovable.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
JerryL said:
Because negative claims are unprovable.
Because all claims of any kind are unprovable. I know I can't prove the existence of God. I don't even try. But you can't prove His non-existence either. When it gets right down to it, neither one of us stands a snowball's chance in Hell of winning the other person over to his side. You obviously see my reasoning as a cop out. Sorry, I guess that's just how it's got to be.

JerryL

Because all claims of any kind are unprovable.
Unless you want to get into presuppositional apologetics (which goes nowhere), that statement is abusrd. Any rational defintion of the word "proof" allows for its fulfillment. For example, it was proven that Celeocanth's were still around when people found living celeocanths.

Of course, you don't claim you can prove that things can't be proven.

I know I can't prove the existence of God. I don't even try. But you can't prove His non-existence either.
I can disprove your idea of God as internally inconsistant with your other beliefs, but I cannot prove the absence of something (a negative claim).

When it gets right down to it, neither one of us stands a snowball's chance in Hell of winning the other person over to his side.
That's because you would have to actually have support for your position in order to convince me, and you don't believe support is a useful way to come to a belief.

You obviously see my reasoning as a cop out. Sorry, I guess that's just how it's got to be.
There is no reason involved.. you are not using any.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Katzpur said:
Because all claims of any kind are unprovable. I know I can't prove the existence of God. I don't even try. But you can't prove His non-existence either. When it gets right down to it, neither one of us stands a snowball's chance in Hell of winning the other person over to his side. You obviously see my reasoning as a cop out. Sorry, I guess that's just how it's got to be.
Katz, it's harder to disprove God than it is to prove Him, though. Especially in light of the fact that everyday the newspapers bring us some news that Jesus Himself predicted in Matthew 24. Not to mention the fact that 1 Timothy 4:1-3 is being fulfilled right under our noses. Not to mention the fact that Israel is a nation again ... as predicted in the OT.

I'd say those who don't believe in God have a heck of an uphill climb.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
AV1611 said:
Katz, it's harder to disprove God than it is to prove Him, though.
You may be right. I'm just not interested in trying. You know what they say about leading a horse to water...

I'd say those who don't believe in God have a heck of an uphill climb.
Hey, we actually agree on something!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
JerryL said:
I can disprove your idea of God as internally inconsistant with your other beliefs

That's pretty remarkable, seeing as you know relatively little about my other beliefs.

That's because you would have to actually have support for your position in order to convince me, and you don't believe support is a useful way to come to a belief.
I can't give you my faith, Jerry. If I could, I would. Believe me, there are a myriad of topics on which I am willing to debate till Hell freezes over. This just isn't one of them. I would appreciate your simply recognizing that I'm not interested in further discussion about the existence of God. If I truly believed you had support for your own lack of belief, I'd at least stick around to see what you have to say, but I don't.

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
Renaldo, Are you Deut disguised as Bill Gates, or what?
I think Deut would take more offense at that than me, although the Bill Gates comment..(shudder):biglaugh:JerryL seems more like Deut than I ever will.

Yeah, it's a debating forum, but my point was apparently lost on you.
No, I chose to debate your point. A non Christian will often, but not always,
disagree with a Christian.. That is the point of a debates forum :) A one sided debate is rendered
useless.

I suppose we can even debate on what right He has to run His universe the way He wants to run it, but there doesn't seem to be much point in it.
You have a valid point, why not be frubalized.

I seldom post on threads of this sort because all I or anyone else can offer is opinions
Exactly. Which is what I was doing.

can offer conclusive evidence to support their position
I doubt that is possible unless God himself comes down and says "This is what happened".

will move on to a topic of greater interest to me.
I hope you enjoy it, best of luck.

mr.guy

crapsack
katzpur said:
The question posed as the title of this thread was, "Where is God during disasters?" To me, this presupposes that there is a God.
Don't mean to nit pick, but when the question "where is God during disasters" is posed, dosen't the answer "nowhere" count as a viable presupposition?

Status
Not open for further replies.