• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is God during disasters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
People here seem to be very open about their own religions. The only reason why a few Christians here are on the defensive is because they take offensive positions, basically mocking everyone else for not being Christian. If you do that, you are going to have some questions to answer. Deal with it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Darkdale said:
People here seem to be very open about their own religions. The only reason why a few Christians here are on the defensive is because they take offensive positions, basically mocking everyone else for not being Christian. If you do that, you are going to have some questions to answer. Deal with it.
They're only "open" insofar as they talk about the positive side of their respective religions. We Christians are very honest and open about what happens if you don't accept "our faith". Then we catch heck for it.

The truth of the matter is though, each mainline religion here, as far as I know, has a negative fate awaiting those who don't accept "their faith", but they won't talk about it.

Be it coming back as an ant, or annihilation, it's stll negative.

I just wish more people here would put the "down-side" of their respective faiths up in the storefront window for us to see, too.

But that's fine. I'll just get ole' Larson's Book of Cults down off the shelf, and we'll start some real discussions.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Okay, here's where we seem to be having difficulty...

I really dislike seeing anyone bashed. I've vowed for awhile to look out for any anti-Christian posts, and hope that I've done my best to expose them for the hate they are (when that is the case) and to foster an environment where the understanding of all paths (including atheism) is encouraged.

If you see a post that you think is anti-Christian, (or, for that matter, as attacking any religion) please use the 'report' feature. That lets the staff know what posts are distressing people so that we can deal with them. If you are wanting to discourage anti-Christian posts, this is the best method. 'Taking the law into your own hands', so to speak, only encourages misunderstandings on both sides.

The pendulum swings in both directions. I don't want anyone to be bashed, whether the person doing it feels it is in retribution for previous wrongs or just because they feel like bashing.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
FeathersinHair said:
Okay, here's where we seem to be having difficulty...

I really dislike seeing anyone bashed. I've vowed for awhile to look out for any anti-Christian posts, and hope that I've done my best to expose them for the hate they are (when that is the case) and to foster an environment where the understanding of all paths (including atheism) is encouraged.

If you see a post that you think is anti-Christian, (or, for that matter, as attacking any religion) please use the 'report' feature. That lets the staff know what posts are distressing people so that we can deal with them. If you are wanting to discourage anti-Christian posts, this is the best method. 'Taking the law into your own hands', so to speak, only encourages misunderstandings on both sides.

The pendulum swings in both directions. I don't want anyone to be bashed, whether the person doing it feels it is in retribution for previous wrongs or just because they feel like bashing.
You've already seen two of my posts on this thread as examples. Nice, easy questions designed to be answered with their own doctrine.

And although I did get upset when YOU answered it when I twice and clearly asked for a Hindu to respond, I didn't say anything.

I'm still waiting for a Hindu though to come on and correct Jensa's point that no one "sent" the hurricane.

And I'm still waiting for the Yin-Yangers to respond to what I think is a very good point.

But, IMHO, they'll "lurk" and let others respond, instead.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
AV1611 said:
They're only "open" insofar as they talk about the positive side of their respective religions. We Christians are very honest and open about what happens if you don't accept "our faith". Then we catch heck for it.

I'm sorry, if you tell me that you think I'm going to suffer for eternity because I don't believe what you believe, you can bet you are going to catch heck for it. I've seen first hand the kind of cruelty that leads to that kind of thinking and I don't like it. The only religion I'm truly concerned with is my own, until someone else comes up and starts telling me I'm evil or I'm going to hell or something equally confrontational.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
AV1611 said:
Well, DD, I think I've made a couple of good points in my last few posts in this thread. If you don't get it by now, let me put it plainly:

I'm sick and fed up with seeing Christianity bashed on this Website. So unless I'm locked out or something (which I'm sure is coming), there's going to be a new boy on the block.

But I'm not going to just lay down blanket cheap shots. I'm going to use logic and your own doctrines against you to expose the darkside of YOUR religions for a change and see how YOU guys like it.

And, of course, I'll respect the rules of the site. I'm just going to start asking specific logical questions designed to make people think about their OWN religion for a change.

It's time for the pendulum to swing the other way for a change.
No one bashes Christianity on this site.

What some people dislike is that some of our ilk sometimes make it sound as if we have the only and the right answer. That and the times when we try to define our faith in terms that we try to adapt to what we think the scientific community will 'like'.

It has taken me a while to understand (I'm not the fastest kid on the block), but as long as you explain and justify your faith as 'Faith' - no one will get heated up.

The other thing that is disliked is when you come out with timelines that do not conform to what has been scientifically proved.

If you don't like what you see as Christian bashing, and seek 'immunity' post in a Christian only forum, where you can debate and discuss with like minds.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Darkdale said:
The gods created or (inherited) a working planetary system which either they or the earth regulate. Changes in the system keep the system healthy, but are often dramatic and cost human lives. To the gods, these are not disasters. To us they are. I think we look at these events selfishly, we think they are about us and they are not. They are not even about the gods. They are about earth and climate. Whether it is "nature" or gods (if there is a difference) that cause "natural disasters", it doesn't matter. There is no reason the gods cannot both cause the event and then come and comfort us in their' wake.
You must spread some Karma around before giving it to Darkdale again. (Darn!)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Darkdale said:
The gods created or (inherited) a working planetary system which either they or the earth regulate. Changes in the system keep the system healthy, but are often dramatic and cost human lives. To the gods, these are not disasters. To us they are. I think we look at these events selfishly, we think they are about us and they are not. They are not even about the gods. They are about earth and climate. Whether it is "nature" or gods (if there is a difference) that cause "natural disasters", it doesn't matter. There is no reason the gods cannot both cause the event and then come and comfort us in their' wake.
Well said; how refreshing it is to hear an opinion that I can truly accept (without the threat of abuse from some of my own kind, who mean well). I'll fruball you for Katz.:bounce

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
AV1611 said:
Why don't you Hindus just quit sounding so pious and tell us who really sent that hurricane to wipe out New Orleans?

You guys LOVE to show us people doing yoga and other stuff like that on TV commercials; but let a hurricane or earthquake hit, and all of a sudden you're silent on the matter.

I challenge ONE Hindu on this website to be man or woman enough to tell us who really did it (that is, according to your theology).

(And don't tell me you don't know either, because I know better.)

All we Westerners get is your pious yoga and kundalini theology, but you don't tell us the dark side of your theology.

My Bible puts ours right in the storefront window for all to see.

So, please, humor us with who really sent that hurricane, according to your theology.
Is this really the person I once nominated for the Kindness Award? I am starting to wonder what on earth I was thinking.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Correct me where I'm wrong here, please:

michel said:
No one bashes Christianity on this site.
TRANSLATION: Everyone speaks kindly of Christianity.

What some people dislike is that some of our ilk sometimes make it sound as if we have the only and the right answer.
TRANSLATION: No one has the right answers. [And I know you said some people.]

That and the times when we try to define our faith in terms that we try to adapt to what we think the scientific community will 'like'.
TRANSLATION: Christianity is like clay, and the scientists are the templates.

It has taken me a while to understand (I'm not the fastest kid on the block), but as long as you explain and justify your faith as 'Faith' - no one will get heated up.
TRANSLATION: Faith needs justification and explaination.

The other thing that is disliked is when you come out with timelines that do not conform to what has been scientifically proved.
TRANSLATION: The Bible's timeline is subordinate to what scientists say.

If you don't like what you see as Christian bashing, and seek 'immunity' post in a Christian only forum, where you can debate and discuss with like minds.
This one I didn't get. I think you were telling me to "take it elsewhere".

So to sum this all up, then:

TRANSLATION: Christianity belongs in the back of the bus, as long as scientists are on-board.

Now did I mistranslate anything?

Please go back and re-read your post and see how many times you said stuff like:

we try ... we think ... we sound as if

Isn't there anything concrete in the Bible to you?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
You are unbelievable; why translate English into English ? - There is only one reason, and that is so that you can interpret what I have said as a put down.

Religious Education / Debate / Religious Debates Same Faith Debates
http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63

You can post on 'same faith debates'; you will then only be talking to people of the same faith as you. I wasn't trying to 'send you away'. And I mean what I say, please don't read other meaning in what I have said. If I had wanted to say what you wish I have said (because it looks as if you have a whole potato on your shoulder:D ) I would have (I think). Oh heck, just stop being so sensitive; you have every right to believe whatever you like - just try not shouting it from the rooftops, and then get offended when people of other faiths question what 'You know'. Lighten up, my friend.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
AV1611 said:
And how did we "get the right conditions for a hurricane" according to Yin/Yang philosophy? --- not meteorologics.
Except that it's the same thing. There's no mystical, magical reason for hurricanes forming... water gets warm enough, there's already a weather disturbance there, and it's just the right distance from the equator to get some spin to it, and boom, hurricane. It doesn't have a deep and meaningful explanation any more than a cat sneezing.

A true Hindu would disagree with you on this. I'm sure one will chime in and correct you, so I'll let them do it.
I thought the no true Scotsman fallacy wasn't popular anymore?

Also, did it ever occur to you that no Hindus are answering you because there aren't many on this site? I honestly have never noticed a Hindu posting.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jensa said:
Except that it's the same thing. There's no mystical, magical reason for hurricanes forming... water gets warm enough, there's already a weather disturbance there, and it's just the right distance from the equator to get some spin to it, and boom, hurricane. It doesn't have a deep and meaningful explanation any more than a cat sneezing.

I thought the no true Scotsman fallacy wasn't popular anymore?

Also, did it ever occur to you that no Hindus are answering you because there aren't many on this site? I honestly have never noticed a Hindu posting.
Well said, Jensa.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
AV1611 said:
And I'm still waiting for the Yin-Yangers to respond to what I think is a very good point.
Sorry dude either I'm blind or I just can't find the point of discussion you're referring too. I'm a Taoist AKA Yin-Yanger :149: .

[EDIT] Oh wait Jensa got it.[/EDIT]

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
AV, can you explain to me (this is a horrendous thread to go through) abot the ying-yangers; what exactly are you asking, and from whom?

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
FeathersinHair said:
Gerani, a good many of the people who lived in the area did not do so because they 'chose' to. They lived there because circumstance drove them to it. These are also the same people that others 'forgot' wouldn't be able to afford transportation elsewhere.

If you wish, AV, you can tell us who you believe really did it. If that creature is supposedly a god, I would not worship them, I would be disgusted with them.
Good point feathersinhair. I think the Gov could have done more. Ah well... I mean, there have always been hurricanes and natural disasters everywhere, so i suppose one cannot truly be aware of all the dangers.

In response to AV and his question to whats the Hindu's excuse for it-

we have none. Or at least I dont. **** happens. If you know about the balance of karma, why do you keep asking?

You believe whatever you want. I dont think God is behind this. God is nature, I dont think God is a human like being, with thoughts like us. I think God has a complexity to it that we cannot understand.

But I do believe in natural energy. Maybe all the negative energy in this world caused it. Then I suppose you could blame the people. But blaming God or the people doesnt really get anyone anywhere does it, now.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Katzpur said:
Is this really the person I once nominated for the Kindness Award? I am starting to wonder what on earth I was thinking.
Frubals for wanting to think well of a person, Kat. You embody the award, anyway, which is probably why your heart is hurting right along with mine. (Well, I shouldn't assume yours is. Mine is, at least.)

While I don't understand it, AV, I'm sorry you were 'upset' by me posting answers for the Hindus. As was previously mentioned, we don't have many that post regularly, so I didn't think they deserved to be slighted without the opportunity to defend themselves. I don't mean to upset anyone. :eek:

Because I have faith in the ability of human beings to be kind when others are trying to be kind to them, I'm afraid I'm going have to not respond to any posts you might make that are of an inflammatory nature. I'm sure, in the long run, you'll prove my faith justified, so I look forward to civilly conversing with you then.

Namaste, AV. I wish you healing.

healing.jpg

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Gerani1248 said:
In response to AV and his question to whats the Hindu's excuse for it-
we have none.
Amazing.

Well, I guess it's time for a Baptist to explain the true Hindu position on this.

(If I were a Hindu, I'd be embarrassed.)

Who sent Hurricane Katrina?

Shiva, the god of destruction did. You see, in the Hindu Trinity, there is Brahma, the god of creation; Vishnu, the god of preservation; and Shiva, the god of destruction.

Together they engage in creation, preservation, then destruction (a.k.a. birth, life, death).

And since the trinity is circular, not linear, we have the following: birth, life, death, birth, life, death, birth, life, death, etc.

Also known as reincarnation.

The most powerful Halloween icon that symbolizes this is the Old Hag. The boiling pot she is stiring represents birth (the pot = the womb). The full moon in the background represents the person growing to full maturity, and the Old Hag herself represents the last stage of life, or death. Thus you have the Hindu cycle represented in icon form.

Every once in awhile, Shiva rears his ugly head to destroy something, then Brahma rebuilds from the ashes (remember the Phoenix?), and we start all over.

Gerani, you must be either an awful weak Hindu, or a reprobate Hindu, in my humble opinion.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
AV1611 said:
Gerani, you must be either an awful weak Hindu, or a reprobate Hindu, in my humble opinion.
Dude!!! put the claws away and keep it civil.

Try to remember we're debating religion here, not trying to start a holy war.

Status
Not open for further replies.