• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where is God during disasters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryL

The events in the gulf coast are devastating and tragic, there is no doubt about it. There is nothing wrong with questioning God and asking Him why he allows such terrible things to happen, but at the same time we need to acknowledege God as Sovereign and that He allows things to happen for a reason and show people that He is God and should be first in one's life above all other things.
So your response is "it's fine to ask, but don't expect an answer but there definately is one.

I think we as a society would admit that we have a tendency to get complacent and in many instances, downright arrogant about the way we live and how our lifestyle may be in contrast with what God's will is for our lives.
Actually, I think this is a good example of people getting complacent about living below sea-level, on the coast, in hurricaine country.

Out of all of this tragedy may come good if people reach a spiritual awakening and recognize the One who has dominion over heaven and earth loves them and wants to direct their lives in a way that they have never experienced before.
I don't think the dead ones will be awakening to anything.

Of course, out of this tragedy, people of faith my question how God could do such a thing and abandon faith. So I'd assert that you are cherry-picking.

blueman

God's Warrior
JerryL said:
So your response is "it's fine to ask, but don't expect an answer but there definately is one.

Actually, I think this is a good example of people getting complacent about living below sea-level, on the coast, in hurricaine country.

I don't think the dead ones will be awakening to anything.

Of course, out of this tragedy, people of faith my question how God could do such a thing and abandon faith. So I'd assert that you are cherry-picking.
There is definitely an answer if you ask God to speak to your heart about this tragedy and others that have ocurred in years past. Read His Word and you will get insight if you approach it with an open mind and be honest with yourself about your own life.

I would not be quick to assume that these people will not be awakening to anything. They maybe no longer of this world, but there spirits still live on somewhere. I just hope and pray that they knew God through His Son Jesus Christ. Those who abadoned their faith as a result of this tragedy really would'nt appear to have much faith at all. It's easy to exhibit faith when all is well, but when trials and tribulation come.........., that is a true test of one's faith. :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
JerryL said:

Actually, I think this is a good example of people getting complacent about living below sea-level, on the coast, in hurricaine country. Agreed

I don't think the dead ones will be awakening to anything.That is debatable. As A Christian, I consider that there is only death of flesh and bones; life is eternal for the soul

God had nothing to do with the disaster, just as he has nothing to do with people who win the lottery; the hurricane was happenstance, urged on by man's continuing destruction of this planet:)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Deut. 32.8 said:
So, are you arguing that (a) God is not omniscient, (b) God is not omnipotent, or both?
I actually beleive that God is both omniscient, and omnipotent.

I believe - if you will excuse an example (a parallel which might better explain the way I understand him to be)-

Imagine yourself standing on waste ground; you see some worker ants scurrying by; fotr the sake of example, you are God (although that would mean you had eternal life); the ants are mankind. The life of a worker ant is 6 months - that is his lifetime.

Would you bend down, to move a stone from the path which the ants are trying to go?

JerryL

There is definitely an answer if you ask God to speak to your heart about this tragedy and others that have ocurred in years past. Read His Word and you will get insight if you approach it with an open mind and be honest with yourself about your own life.
Then do me a favor. Ask, get an answer, and post it here that we can all share it.

Coming from God, the answer will be comprehensive, flawless and unassailable I'm sure.

I would not be quick to assume that these people will not be awakening to anything. They maybe no longer of this world, but there spirits still live on somewhere.
That depends on whether you believe the Bible or not. Luke 16 tells the story of a person who repents post-death. It does no good.

I guess you just believe the Bible wrong.

JerryL

.That is debatable. As A Christian, I consider that there is only death of flesh and bones; life is eternal for the soul
What is not BIblically debateable is that, after death, repenting is pointless.

God had nothing to do with the disaster, just as he has nothing to do with people who win the lottery; the hurricane was happenstance, urged on by man's continuing destruction of this planet
The hurricane is the result of natural forces placed by God. Further, the Bible is clear on God's regular intervention in most everything.

But if you are a believer in a clock-work deity, a deist, my critique is not of your position (and your position on this topic would be "nowhere").

Imagine yourself standing on waste ground; you see some worker ants scurrying by; fotr the sake of example, you are God (although that would mean you had eternal life); the ants are mankind. The life of a worker ant is 6 months - that is his lifetime.

Would you bend down, to move a stone from the path which the ants are trying to go?
If the stone made him unhappy and I cared about his happiness and loved him? Yes.

And would I stop an ant-eater from eating an ant I loved? Yes. And would I invent ant-eaters? No.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
JerryL said:
What is not BIblically debateable is that, after death, repenting is pointless.

The hurricane is the result of natural forces placed by God. Further, the Bible is clear on God's regular intervention in most everything.
But if you are a believer in a clock-work deity, a deist, my critique is not of your position (and your position on this topic would be "nowhere").

If the stone made him unhappy and I cared about his happiness and loved him? Yes.

And would I stop an ant-eater from eating an ant I loved? Yes. And would I invent ant-eaters? No.
1.The natural forces were not placed by God; God merely 'supplied the goods' to create the universe, he lit the touch paper, and there was a big bang; after that, Nature took over. Besides, the hurricane's effect (in its ferocity on this occasion) was made worse by mankind, in his having torn a gash in the ozone layer - don't blamne God, blame your car exhaust fumes, and your fires............

2.I contend that you would most likely be unaware of the struggling ant

3.so you would deny the ant-eater his food ? - isn't that a tad cruel?:)

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
The gods are often cruel. That is a lesson of history. But for all the cruelty of the gods, there is also beauty and kindness. I find it beautiful that in times of the greatest struggle, people feel the closest to their gods. The gods each have their part to play. Some to destroy and others to create. Some to send storms and others to care for the life affected. Thankfully, it is evident that the gods love a comeback. :) We will weather the storm and rebuild. By their grace, we will come out stronger on the other side.

blueman

God's Warrior
JerryL said:
Then do me a favor. Ask, get an answer, and post it here that we can all share it.

Coming from God, the answer will be comprehensive, flawless and unassailable I'm sure.

That depends on whether you believe the Bible or not. Luke 16 tells the story of a person who repents post-death. It does no good.

I guess you just believe the Bible wrong.
I already have an answer and I did post it initially in which you responded. You initiated the post and I assume you are seeking an answer. You may not agree with my answer and you have every right to disagree. :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
JerryL said:
God's answers are in writing. You can look them up yourself.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
orichalcum said:
And what if the answer in unsatisfactory?
You have two choices; 1. You learn to accept the 'unsatisfactory'
2. You forget Religion.

A little fable, if I may, to demonstrate a point.

There once lived a very wealthy man, who had a wonderful home, with luscious gardens all around the house; shrubs, plants, flowers, and neat lawns.

Soon after moving in, the man noticed a dandelion growing in the middle of the lawn; he got rid of it - it was irritating.

It reappeared - he removed it again.

The next time there were a few. He went to a garden centre, bought the right weedkiller, and had a love;ly lawn again.

The dandelions kept returning. Frustrated beyond belief, he wrote to the forrestry commission for their advice. When the answer came by post, he was delighted-his hands shook with anticipation as he opened the envelope, and read the advice

In our estimation, there is but one course open to you; learn to love dandelions...............:D

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
orichalcum said:
And what if the answer in unsatisfactory?
I can assure you there's someone waiting to give you a satisfactory answer, then. But you'd better beware, as it usually comes with strings attached.

JerryL

1.The natural forces were not placed by God; God merely 'supplied the goods' to create the universe, he lit the touch paper, and there was a big bang; after that, Nature took over. Besides, the hurricane's effect (in its ferocity on this occasion) was made worse by mankind, in his having torn a gash in the ozone layer - don't blamne God, blame your car exhaust fumes, and your fires............
I'm failing to see your distinction. In a game, whether I write code that say "when he walks off the ledge he falls", or whether I write code that says "things without support fall", it's still my doing that walking off the ledge causes falling.

So "God made the laws of nature and started the universe" is telling *how* God made natural disasters, not disputing that he did.

2.I contend that you would most likely be unaware of the struggling ant
Most likely. These are reasons I can say that I'm not omnipotent (I'm unaware of the ant) and not omnibenevolent / loving (I don't really care for the ant all that much).

3.so you would deny the ant-eater his food ? - isn't that a tad cruel?
Would you allow one hungry child to kill and eat another? Are you asserting that God has no options to protect man from hurricanes which do not involve being cruel to hurricanes?

I suppose you can add "I'm not omnipotent" to the list of differences between me and and God. Were I omnipotent, and assuming I also loved the ant-eater, I'd make it not ever hungry.

JerryL

blueman said:
I already have an answer and I did post it initially in which you responded. You initiated the post and I assume you are seeking an answer. You may not agree with my answer and you have every right to disagree. :)
Hrm. Let's go look...

The events in the gulf coast are devastating and tragic, there is no doubt about it. There is nothing wrong with questioning God and asking Him why he allows such terrible things to happen, but at the same time we need to acknowledege God as Sovereign and that He allows things to happen for a reason and show people that He is God and should be first in one's life above all other things. I think we as a society would admit that we have a tendency to get complacent and in many instances, downright arrogant about the way we live and how our lifestyle may be in contrast with what God's will is for our lives. Out of all of this tragedy may come good if people reach a spiritual awakening and recognize the One who has dominion over heaven and earth loves them and wants to direct their lives in a way that they have never experienced before. :)
The reason God created / allowed Hurricane Katrina is _________

Please fill in the blank.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
AV1611 said:
God's answers are in writing. You can look them up yourself.

I tend to disagree with this. The gods inspire men to write, to memorialize their experiences of divinity, but to tell someone that they can just go and read the gods answers to everything in a book is, well, naive (for lack of a better word). I believe that humans have been gifted by the gods with reason and spirit, and it is through our faculties, by their grace, that we discover our answers. It would seem to me that the answers come through reason and reflection.

I'm also confused as to why people believe that the gods have our best interest in mind. Sometimes people get screwed. Sometimes a storm, a volcano, a Tsunami, a fire or a drunk driver kills you and there was no good in it for you. Sometimes the gods are cruel or even ironic. Ultimately, the gods have placed fate in our hands to discover; I don't see why we should bother them for answers or justifications. They may not have us in mind when they are considering what is just.

Status
Not open for further replies.