• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where in the Gospels does Jesus claim to be the Son of God?

ZooGirl02

Hey everyone. I am strongly questioning the claims of Christianity that Jesus is the literal Son of God. Where in the Gospels does Jesus explicitly claim to be the literal Son of God? Thanks in advance for your help. Please provide verse references so I can look them up. I will also accept verse references that are not explicit quotes of Jesus claiming to be the literal Son of God. Again, thank you in advance!

John Martin

Hey everyone. I am strongly questioning the claims of Christianity that Jesus is the literal Son of God. Where in the Gospels does Jesus explicitly claim to be the literal Son of God? Thanks in advance for your help. Please provide verse references so I can look them up. I will also accept verse references that are not explicit quotes of Jesus claiming to be the literal Son of God. Again, thank you in advance!

The expression Son of God is not literal but metaphorical. We project our physical realities as symbols to spiritual realities: 'the word son of God' has to be understood in different levels: a son of God, a collective son of God and the Son of God. A son of God is an individual who relates with God as Father(metaphor). In this sense every human being is a son of God or a daughter of God. A collective son of God is a group of people.In the Old Testament or First Testament God says, 'I have called my son out of Egypt'. This expression 'son' here refers to the whole people of Israel. The Son of God is one who is united with the whole of humanity and of creation. The Son of God is one who speak to God in the name of the whole of humanity and of creation; and who speaks to the whole of humanity and of creation in the name of God. A son of God or daughter of God is like a leaf on a tree. A collective son of God is all the leaves connected to a branch. The Son of God is like a trunk who holds all the branches and the leaves. Jesus Christ in his relationship with God has grown from a son of God to the Son of God, from a leaf to the trunk. Finally he went beyond that and realized that he was one with God, the roots:the Father and I are one'.
So the word 'the Son of God' is not literal but metaphorical representing a level of human consciousness united with the whole of humanity and of creation. Everyone has the possibility to grow from ' a son of God or a daughter of God' to the Son of God or the Daughter of God. A son of God or a daughter of God lives only for himself or herself. A collective son of God or Daughter of God lives his group or religion; the Son of God or the Daughter of God lives for the welfare of the whole of humanity and of creation. In this sense we say that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Last edited:

ZooGirl02

The expression Son of God is not literal but metaphorical. We project our physical realities as symbols to spiritual realities: 'the word son of God' has to be understood in different levels: a son of God, a collective son of God and the Son of God. A son of God is an individual who relates with God as Father(metaphor). In this sense every human being is a son of God or a daughter of God. A collective son of God is a group of people.In the Old Testament or First Testament God says, 'I have called my son out of Egypt'. This expression 'son' here refers to the whole people of Israel. The Son of God is one who is united with the whole of humanity and of creation. The Son of God is one who speak to God in the name of the whole of humanity and of creation; and who speaks to the whole of humanity and of creation in the name of God. A son of God or daughter of God is like a leaf on a tree. A collective son of God is all the leaves connected to a branch. The Son of God is like a trunk who holds all the branches and the leaves. Jesus Christ in his relationship with God has grown from a son of God to the Son of God, from a leaf to the trunk. Finally he went beyond that and realized that he was one with God, the roots:the Father and I are one'.
So the word 'the Son of God' is not literal but metaphorical representing a level of human consciousness united with the whole of humanity and of creation. Everyone has the possibility to grow from ' a son of God or a daughter of God' to the Son of God or the Daughter of God. A son of God or a daughter of God lives only for himself or herself. A collective son of God or Daughter of God lives his group or religion; the Son of God or the Daughter of God lives for the welfare of the whole of humanity and of creation. In this sense we say that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

I'm sorry John Martin but after reading your post I am just confused.

I know that Catholicism teaches that Jesus Christ is the incarnate Son of God, second person of the Trinity. That is what I am referring to. Where in the Gospels does Jesus make this claim himself?

John Martin

I'm sorry John Martin but after reading your post I am just confused.

I know that Catholicism teaches that Jesus Christ is the incarnate Son of God, second person of the Trinity. That is what I am referring to. Where in the Gospels does Jesus make this claim himself?
Dear ZooGirl,
I am also a catholic. The expression that Jesus Christ is the incarnate Son of God, and the second person of the Holy Trinity are later formulations as there were many interpretations arose in the early Church about the person of Jesus Christ. And also biblical experience was combined with Greek philosophical concepts. You maynot get the direct answer to the question of Trinity but you may have indications about incarnation in the gospel of St.John. Please read the first chapter of St.John.

John Martin

[SIZE=+2]Dear ZooGirlo2,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]please read the article
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]The Trinity in the New Testament [/SIZE]
by Felix Just, S.J., Ph.D.

you find in the google.
john Marin

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
I think Jesus was deliberately vague about his identity because the Jewish people had no concept of Trinity so that if he were to come right out and say, "Hi everybody, I'm God," they would have heard it as "I'm Yahweh," and probably would have hung him from a tree.

ZooGirl02

[SIZE=+2]Dear ZooGirlo2,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]please read the article
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+2]The Trinity in the New Testament [/SIZE]
by Felix Just, S.J., Ph.D.

you find in the google.
john Marin

Thank you. This alleviated my doubts. I was strongly considering becoming a Muslim again but now I am going to remain a Catholic thanks to your sharing of this article.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist

Jesus doesn't need to make the claim himself. The Gospels do that quite clearly. Mark calls him the son of God. Matthew and Luke go out of their way to show that Jesus was the literal son of God. While Jesus doesn't say it, the Gospel writers do.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
I think Jesus was deliberately vague about his identity because the Jewish people had no concept of Trinity so that if he were to come right out and say, "Hi everybody, I'm God," they would have heard it as "I'm Yahweh," and probably would have hung him from a tree.
Which they did anyway (the Crucifixion).

Tranquil Servant

Was M.I.A for a while
Matthew 16:15-17
15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven.
Matthew 16:20
Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.
Matthew 22:41-45
41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, 42 “What do you think about the Messiah? Whose son is he?”
“The son of David,” they replied.
43 He said to them, “How is it then that David, speaking by the Spirit, calls him ‘Lord’? For he says,
44 “‘The Lord said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet.”’ [e]
45 If then David calls him ‘Lord,’ how can he be his son?”
John 4:25-26
25 The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”
26 Then Jesus declared, “I, the one speaking to you—I am he.”
John 20:27-29
27 Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.”
28 Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!”
29 Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

ZooGirl02

Thank you all for your posts. They were helpful. I am now back to having no doubts. I believe fully in the Catholic Church. :)

In luke or John he claimed to be at the right hand of David, the one David addressed as His Lord.

That's a trick if Jesus was ONLY from Mary's womb.

You get the lunatic or truth paradigm there.
OR the liar paradigm.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

Jesus' enemies accused him of blasphemy because Jesus stated that he is the Son of God at John 10:36 B

Even the devils recognized Jesus as being the Son of God according to Luke 4:41

whirlingmerc

Jesus addressed God as Father in every prayer he made except one

The 'son of God' motif is partly from the promise to David and part of the genre of the Psalms, Psalm 2 being a significant start 'you are my son and today I have begotten you'

The Super Epic Psalms book 5 ( coming home, Psalms 107, 109, 118, 11…

Call me name

I'm christian

John 13:13 (NET) You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and do so correctly, for that is what I am.

John 13:13