• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where has all the wealth gone?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Why is there so much poverty in the U.S.?

Possibly nearly 4 decades of Republican policies aimed at transferring the wealth of the many to a small percentage of people at the top?

Which has created unnecessary opulence for a select few such as this:

View attachment 44232

This chart shows that in 1989 (the beginning of the Reagan money grab) the top 1% had 12 times the wealth of the bottom 50%. If that wasn’t bad enough, the Bush/Trump continuation of giveaways to the rich has made it so the top 1% now has INFINITELY more wealth than the bottom 50%. (The bottom 50% now has negative net worth)
Except, it hasn't been just "republican parties" or have you forgotten how many decades the Democrats have been in control. And notice the increase during Obama years

So... is this fake news?

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 7.07.14 AM.png

pearl

How are we measuring wealth--dollars, assets, happiness?

That's a good question. But I'm sure what is discussed here is the amassing of wealth because with wealth comes power and we see how that works out politically. And then that power is accompanied with greed, when the CEO's make 350% more than the average worker. One stumbling block to this was the power of the unions, now with little clout what once was a comfortable middle class is no more.
But that's not to say that a wealthy lifestyle is no longer possible. One has to have a goal and the determination to achieve it. My grandson worked his way through college and earned his PHD, his first job offer, which he accepted, a 6 figure salary with stock options etc. I have a friend who years ago started her own business, the first few years was touch and go, but now has four locations and doing well.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What we had was feudalism at one point. Didn't matter. It wasn't working and it had to go. Just as 1% controlling 99% of wealth. A healthy society can't function with that.

You lived under feudalism?
I didn't think you were that old. :p

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You lived under feudalism?
Individually and collectively, we have to work with what we have, but sometimes what we have isn't good enough. It doesn't work. Things have to change. Things have to get better. Work smarter, not harder. Like when we started poking holes in the ground with sticks and dropping a seed in the hole so we could have a more stable and reliable source of food that allowed us to become non-migratory with the herds. As it was with every step in communications technology development. As it was with Tsars and Divine Right.

Friend of Mara

Except, it hasn't been just "republican parties" or have you forgotten how many decades the Democrats have been in control. And notice the increase during Obama years

So... is this fake news?

View attachment 44252
lets go back a little further shall we?
Number_in_Poverty_and_Poverty_Rate%2C_1959_to_2017.png

Then we also have to see how much of the "drop" in poverty comes from raising the poverty line as well as looking at the line of value our currency over the same number of years.
Prior HHS Poverty Guidelines and Federal Register References

Value of 1990 US Dollars today - Inflation calculator

A bit interesting that every drop in "poverty" in the chart for 1990-present is either after a sharp increase from a recession or in direct response to raising the federal poverty line. This can be exacerbated further with looking at individual state increases or lack thereof. A simpler question is why all "new wealth" seems to be accumulated at the very very top.

Wealth inequality in the United States - Wikipedia

Or by the total quantity of wealth held by certain income percentages.

US_Wealth_Inequality_-_v2.png

Kenny

Premium Member
What's the chart then? What's your point?
Poverty is down in Republican control... and poverty has nothing to do with a party. Certainly the original statement of 'IT'S ALL BECAUS OF REPUBLICANS" is not only fake news but a blind statement. IMV

Kenny

Premium Member
lets go back a little further shall we?
Number_in_Poverty_and_Poverty_Rate%2C_1959_to_2017.png

Then we also have to see how much of the "drop" in poverty comes from raising the poverty line as well as looking at the line of value our currency over the same number of years.
Prior HHS Poverty Guidelines and Federal Register References

Value of 1990 US Dollars today - Inflation calculator

A bit interesting that every drop in "poverty" in the chart for 1990-present is either after a sharp increase from a recession or in direct response to raising the federal poverty line. This can be exacerbated further with looking at individual state increases or lack thereof. A simpler question is why all "new wealth" seems to be accumulated at the very very top.

Wealth inequality in the United States - Wikipedia

Or by the total quantity of wealth held by certain income percentages.

US_Wealth_Inequality_-_v2.png

Graphs and measurements are a funny thing... you can almost say what you want to say about it.

1) "A bit interesting that every drop in "poverty" in the chart for 1990-present is either after a sharp increase from a recession or in direct response to raising the federal poverty line" - sure, when there is no recession, poverty line decreases. Raising poverty line is also adjust for inflation.

2) The bottom 50% does not reflect food stamp help, housing help, earned income credit help. Doesn't reflect helps by churches or non-religious organizations and in-kind helps.

3) None of the figures reflect spending habits. (Interesting how many people can't afford to move forward but have plenty of money for beer and cigarettes.)

Friend of Mara

Graphs and measurements are a funny thing... you can almost say what you want to say about it.

1) "A bit interesting that every drop in "poverty" in the chart for 1990-present is either after a sharp increase from a recession or in direct response to raising the federal poverty line" - sure, when there is no recession, poverty line decreases. Raising poverty line is also adjust for inflation.
Typically it trails behind inflation.
2) The bottom 50% does not reflect food stamp help, housing help, earned income credit help. Doesn't reflect helps by churches or non-religious organizations and in-kind helps.
Sure. Is your point that you think this offsets the drastic increase of wealth disparity?
3) None of the figures reflect spending habits. (Interesting how many people can't afford to move forward but have plenty of money for beer and cigarettes.)
Its a debunked argument that people are poor because they buy starbucks. Do you have any kind of evidence that suggests the poor simply are outspending a proportional gain of wealth? Fact of the matter is people by in large make far less than they did earlier while the rich make exponentially more than before. The average person in that 50% or below line might have a few hundred dollars of unnecessary money a year. Hell maybe just maybe they might have a thousand.

I don't want to assume any of your arguments but I have heard similar arguments from people who have also said that the millennials are just lazy or poorly equipped. But evidence shows millennials take fewer vacations, work more hours per week on average and are definitively the best educated generation that has ever existed in America. Again I don't know if you take that position and if not feel free to ignore.

Household income in the United States - Wikipedia.

The median household income in the US was 63k dollars. In 1990 it was 50k. 50k of 1990's dollars would be worth 102k in today's money. If you answer nothing else at all in my post please give me your thoughts on this.

Median household income, by state: Selected years, 1990 through 2009

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Typically it trails behind inflation.

Sure. Is your point that you think this offsets the drastic increase of wealth disparity?

Its a debunked argument that people are poor because they buy starbucks. Do you have any kind of evidence that suggests the poor simply are outspending a proportional gain of wealth? Fact of the matter is people by in large make far less than they did earlier while the rich make exponentially more than before. The average person in that 50% or below line might have a few hundred dollars of unnecessary money a year. Hell maybe just maybe they might have a thousand.

I don't want to assume any of your arguments but I have heard similar arguments from people who have also said that the millennials are just lazy or poorly equipped. But evidence shows millennials take fewer vacations, work more hours per week on average and are definitively the best educated generation that has ever existed in America. Again I don't know if you take that position and if not feel free to ignore.

Household income in the United States - Wikipedia.

The median household income in the US was 63k dollars. In 1990 it was 50k. 50k of 1990's dollars would be worth 102k in today's money. If you answer nothing else at all in my post please give me your thoughts on this.

Median household income, by state: Selected years, 1990 through 2009
I hate when people start deriding those on welfare. Sure, some are lazy, some do abuse the system. Most don't. I had clients in mental health who were extensively on welfare and yet they wanted to work, but their health wouldn't allow it. And then many on welfare work multiple jobs. They work long hours. But getting a decent job isn't as easy as "choosing were to work for" as many RW Chicago adherents would believe.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Going to be a tough road for you if that is what you believe.

Interesting reply! Care to elaborate?

My comment was partially tongue in cheek, but if you consider that wealth is very often inherited, the wealthy are very often guilty of white collar crimes that have the result of increasing or maintaining wealth (remember the Panama Papers), and some are just plain lucky in terms of circumstance, I am not sure if having wealthy folks teach students would be effective.

Teaching budgeting and how to invest is worthwhile, but that often only goes so far. It's ineffective for gaining wealth for a majority of people living paycheck to paycheck.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Interesting reply! Care to elaborate?

My comment was partially tongue in cheek, but if you consider that wealth is very often inherited, the wealthy are very often guilty of white collar crimes that have the result of increasing or maintaining wealth (remember the Panama Papers), and some are just plain lucky in terms of circumstance, I am not sure if having wealthy folks teach students would be effective.

Teaching budgeting and how to invest is worthwhile, but that often only goes so far. It's ineffective for gaining wealth for a majority of people living paycheck to paycheck.

I'm not looking at being super wealthy. Just the ability to be solvent save a little money, maybe buy some property.

So my wife for example became a nurse. She worked hard to get through school pay of loans pass the state boards. She has the experience, knowledge of the steps necessary to becoming a nurse.

What she has done in turn is to mentor several friends/family to through the process of becoming a licensed nurse. These people have gone on to have good careers, buy houses in Calif etc.

Another gentleman I know was mentored by his father, who help his some and others to start businesses as gas station owners.

A third guy I know has made a career of investing into gold and silver. He has also helped others to duplicate his success.

I have seen successful people able to mentor other people to begin their own successful careers.

I think there exists plenty of opportunities, just not a lot of people with the knowledge to take advantage of those opportunities. We just need to get the people with that knowledge together with the people can take advantage of that knowledge.

Last edited:

tytlyf

Not Religious
Poverty is down in Republican control... and poverty has nothing to do with a party. Certainly the original statement of 'IT'S ALL BECAUS OF REPUBLICANS" is not only fake news but a blind statement. IMV
So you think Obama is responsible for the high (and spiking) poverty rate he inherited?
The chart shows me republicans are terrible for the economy and working class.

Kenny

Premium Member
So you think Obama is responsible for the high (and spiking) poverty rate he inherited?
The chart shows me republicans are terrible for the economy and working class.
Never said that... all I said was the initial statement that it was ALL the Republicans fault denies reality and it was a, so to speak, paid political add because it denies the reality that Democrats have been in control just as much as the Republicans.. Certainly it would appear that all of Obama's efforts didn't produce much change.

There have been good Democratic Presidents and there have been good Republican Presidents.