• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where gone the $ 1 ?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
$ 9 X 3 = $ 27 + $ 2 was given to the waiter as a tip. Total is = $ 29

Here's your error. The $2 should not be added to the $27. It is added to the $25 restaurant bill. It's part of the $27 spent that night. Then add the $3 in their pockets for a total of $30, not the $2 tip again.

Each person paid $8.33 dollars for food for a total of $25, and $0.67 tip for a total of $2, and puts a dollar in his or her pocket.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And these cheapskates are only leaving an 8% tip!!
Id feel bad if I left a tip that low. Average service would be "keep the change" in my mind. Too bad it isn't considered etiquette to consider a tip as a part of the cost of eating out (or better yet they get paid by minimum wage laws and we do away with tipping like everybody else).

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Id feel bad if I left a tip that low. Average service would be "keep the change" in my mind. Too bad it isn't considered etiquette to consider a tip as a part of the cost of eating out (or better yet they get paid by minimum wage laws and we do away with tipping like everybody else).

I personally have been tipping 25-30% in appreciation of the servers brave enough to be on the front lines to serve food in this difficult time. Same with the delivery drivers that bring me food.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
All the good restaurants.

A good server, backed up by a good kitchen staff, can do way better than minimum wage.
Tom

So now we're adding stipulations? A "good kitchen staff" is also required? Have you look at the candidate pool recently??

Also, "way better than minimum wage" doesn't equal "three times that much."

I've seen some pretty lousy tips being left for these servers.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Why would a good server settle for minimum wage when they can reliably get three times that much?
Tom
Reliably isn't very reliable.
I can rake in tips on a good night. But theres also nights where the tips barely exist. That tends to be normal. And after the poor and no tipper evem the steller ones can fall short of they consider tips regular income.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A good server, backed up by a good kitchen staff, can do way better than minimum wage.
Tom
Should the kitchen staff even be considered? After all, they get paid minimum wage. Their poor skills or lack of attention should be seen as separate. It is a team effort, the pay is extremely uneven (I dont think servers should have to share their tips because of this. They aren't guaranteed the same minimun wage like the rest of the non-tipped staff).

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I've been through this before.
The best servers I know vehemently oppose making them work for substandard money. They auditioned their employers.
"Lemme see your kitchen.
I wasn't impressed by that guy over there when I ate here. I won't work a shift if he's on staff."
Maybe I just know more motivated and capable people than the ones you knew.

I know a woman who makes $15/ hour at Steak'n'Shake. Most factories around here don't pay that. And it's mostly cash <wink wink>. Her insurance sucks. But she does a lot better than most young single women without college degrees. Requiring her to work for minimum wage would be cutting her pay down to what the slacker teens get.
She'd probably just stop. Nobody at her restaurant would benefit.
Tom

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The best servers I know vehemently oppose making them work for substandard money. They auditioned their employers.
"Lemme see your kitchen.
I wasn't impressed by that guy over there when I ate here. I won't work a shift if he's on staff."

I know a woman who makes $15/ hour at Steak'n'Shake. Most factories around here don't pay that. And it's mostly cash <wink wink>. Her insurance sucks. But she does a lot better than most young single women without college degrees. Requiring her to work for minimum wage would be cutting her pay down to what the slacker teens get.
Tom

You know minimum wage isn’t $5/hr., yes?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You know minimum wage isn’t $5/hr., yes?
Yes.
You know that servers can earn upwards of $25/hr; yes?

And that Steak'nShake is a modestly priced restaurant? That pays $15/hr?

Never mind. I've been through this discussion before, here on RF, more than once.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"Lemme see your kitchen.

Tom
This is how many of them overall? And we aren't talking about something like gambling, but rather people's lives. A system that only works for a few isn't functioning well. Medicine and science reject such things it outright ("it works for a few" is a deadly plague of a mentality when it comes to addiction treatment and such programs lack evidence to support their efficacy). The economy itself is something that really only benefits a few, and we are dealing with those consequences.