• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does the pain sit

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Does the pain sit in the head or in the area you feel the pain?
What do i mean with this?

When you feel pain is that a mind sensation? or body sensation?
Or non of them?

Misunderstood

Both. Pain starts in the affected area and the nerve is triggered sending a signal to the brain. The brain then signals the body to heal the affected area and causes you to feel pain to protect the area from further damage.

I am sure you know this and are looking for a different answer. But I am not sure how to answer it differently.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Pain starts in the affected area and the nerve is triggered sending a signal to the brain. The brain then signals the body to heal the affected area and causes you to feel pain to protect the area from further damage.
That isn't always the case. Such as, with IBS, there are days I'm in excruciating pain but there is no apparent physiological reason to explain why. Depression and anxiety, though involving nothing to cause physical pain, can cause physical pain (an anxiety attack can feel very similar to a heart attack). And the signals aren't to start healing, because so many pains there is no healing.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The physical message of injury is experienced in the brain. Nerves transmit the trauma to the brain, pain can be stopped with a nerve block.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Both. Pain starts in the affected area and the nerve is triggered sending a signal to the brain. The brain then signals the body to heal the affected area and causes you to feel pain to protect the area from further damage.

I am sure you know this and are looking for a different answer. But I am not sure how to answer it differently.

This answer is accurate for the most part. The only part I would disagree with would be the brain sending a signal to heal. The brain sends a signal to the affected body part to react to prevent further injury.

It would be as if you touched a hot surface, the signal is sent to the brain as pain, and the brain sends a signal to the muscles to remove your hand from the hot surface.

Jumi

Some pains are of the mind, some of the body.
IMO, pains are the body are far easier to endure.
In general I'd agree, but I'd say it also depends. Some pains in the body are so bad that your mind is also broken.

HonestJoe

Pain is a function of the mind/brain. It will usually be a response to physical sensations but not always; it is possible to experience pain without there being any physical cause (and you can never experience pain without the brain signals). Some people who have had limbs amputated still experience pain responses in the limbs they no longer have.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Pain is a function of the mind/brain. It will usually be a response to physical sensations but not always; it is possible to experience pain without there being any physical cause (and you can never experience pain without the brain signals). Some people who have had limbs amputated still experience pain responses in the limbs they no longer have.

What bout mental pain?
Where do the brin signal come from? something outside body or is it only the physical pain they feel? if yes, how can they feel a non physical leg?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Does the pain sit in the head or in the area you feel the pain?
What do i mean with this?

Or non of them?
It's on my right side, in the middle of my back.
(I intend to never crack any ribs ever again.)

HonestJoe

What bout mental pain?
That depends what you mean. Psychological pain isn’t really “pain” in the same context, it’s part of more complex thoughts within the mind.

Where do the brin signal come from? something outside body or is it only the physical pain they feel? if yes, how can they feel a non physical leg?
Brain signals are electrical impulses generated by the brain. They can be triggered by both nerve impulses and by internal feedback within the brain. As a simpler example than pain, if you want to count the number of apples you’re currently holding, the raw data will come via impulses from your eyes and hands. If you want to count the number of apples you’ve eaten this week, the raw data will come from your memories inside your brain. The process of actually counting and coming up with an answer will happen in a similar way though.

Phantom pain can be something of a mystery but it could happen due to an error either in the remaining nervous system, sending false signals as if they were coming from the missing limb or errors within the brain, triggering signals even when no valid signal comes from the nerves. In more general terms, we’ll all have experienced examples of us imagining physical sensations that didn’t actually happen or things that are misinterpreted by our brain. None of these systems are flawless.