• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does science take start from?

Kirran

Premium Member
It must have started at some time. I give one link here:

"Where Did Modern Human Culture Begin?"

Prehistory
We define culture as the collection of beliefs and behaviors that distinguish between one group and others.
Where Did Modern Human Culture Begin?
Please
Regards

But it's not like some dude sat down and said 'we're gonna start culture'. There are animals who have limited culture (different dialects, different tool-making technologies), so we developed it over the course of our emergence as intelligent beings, it took hundreds of thousands of years.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
We are starting from the beginning:
"In the beginning ......". we cannot say that in the beginning everything happened automatically.
"Where did science take start from?" is not an invalid question. Is it? Please
Regards
Litteraly the first observation early humans made
It must have started at some time. I give one link here:

"Where Did Modern Human Culture Begin?"

Prehistory
We define culture as the collection of beliefs and behaviors that distinguish between one group and others.
Where Did Modern Human Culture Begin?
Please
Regards
The very first observation early or even prehumans made was the start

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Does it start from knowledge or from doubt? Please

From the investigation of patterns, causes and effects in nature.

It starts both from knowledge and from doubt, depending on one's perspective.

"Where did science take start from?"

To a significant extent, "religion". *runs and hides...* :runner:

Historically, at least in the West, it grew out of the perceived knowledge that a Divine creator had filled the universe with rational laws that could be discovered. It's probably worth pointing out that the modern concept of religion as an abstraction outwith nature/society didn't really exist either until about 400 years ago either.

The idea that the World had been created along rational plans was the grounding of natural philosophy. Later the modern conception of science arose post-Enlightenment from natural philosophy. Earlier 'scientists' like Newton and Bacon would still have considered themselves natural philosophers though.

Over time the Divine justification for the laws of the universe fell out of fashion, but in the past they are what science 'took start from'.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
Does it start from knowledge or from doubt?

From my studies in philosophy of science,
it originates with Rene Descartes,
(and then Newton & Galileo who were inspired by his radical new philosophy).

Descartes postulates radical doubt as a means to extract the most intrinsic certainty.
If you doubt absolutely everything you think that you know, then you are still left with yourself as un-doubtably real.
Because: even if everything you know is an illusion, then it is still YOU that is under the illusion.

From that his next certainties are God & geometry.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Suggestion:
Do some research on the link between diet and seizures.
I used to get seizures (and horrific migraines) until I stopped eating complex carbohydrates.
Now I never get them at all, Not ever.

Thank you.

Diet does help with seizures especially watching sugar intake etc. I've had seizures for almost twenty years, surgery, and a pacemaker so basically, it's more keeping up with a healthy lifestyle so I won't have as many breakthroughs.

It's good you don't have seizures anymore. I'm always glad to hear that from people.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Modern Science probably starts with accurate measurements, accurate records and accurate descriptions.

Mendelev is a good example of an early Scientist, because he accurately records traits of pea plants then based on his records makes hypothesis about how traits are inherited.

Anton Lavoisier changed Alchemy into Chemistry when he imposed strict measurements upon all of his experiments and was then able to discover many things that Alchemists had overlooked.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Does it start from knowledge or from doubt? Please

Regards

#74 Willamena , thanks and regards to the very respected friend, here. Please
#101 paarsurrey

It generally starts with a conclusion and works back from there- to see what evidence can be made to fit, using a large sledghammer

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well for those working on cancer research I image it's to find a cure, save lives, and advance medicen . Right?

In some fields it's likely pure curiosity that drives people. And really any number of possible motivations.
Don't forget the pay cheque.

whirlingmerc

There are always hidden assumptions taken a priori, faith claims of sort taken before using the scientific method.
And so it might be good to ask a 'scientist' what philosophical claims they are making before looking at the evidence

Ironically the claim that the world is an orderly discoverable cosmos is a Christian claim, coopted by Sagan. If Sagan was consistent he would have used the name chaos.