• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does misogyny come from?

Deidre

Do you think it's a byproduct of religion? I know atheists who are misogynists, but the argument still could be that the world culture is so steeped in religion and religious values, that it's hard to escape the misogyny that is buried deep within some of the religious tenets that permeate our cultures.

So, what do you think? Do you believe that misogyny comes from religion? If not, where did it come from? Are some men just born misogynists?

Hammzah

Why do people hate snakes? Well maybe its because they think snakes can kill them but reality snakes can cure you. See, its the same thing. Women are doctors.

Its called selective perception error, meaning you are filtering what you see and hear to suit your own needs.

Deidre

Why do people hate snakes? Well maybe its because they think snakes can kill them but reality snakes can cure you. See, its the same thing. Women are doctors.

Its called selective perception, meaning you are filtering what you see and hear to suit your own needs.

Interesting, @Hammzah. But, the reality is, that there are men who hate women and see nothing good in them. That's why they're misogynists.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I think expectations about masculinity is likely the unsuspected culprit. Insecure men of all kinds I've encountered, rather they be misogynistic or transphobic, are trying very hard to live up to some idea of maleness.

Deidre

I think expectations about masculinity is likely the unsuspected culprit. Insecure men of all kinds I've encountered, rather they be misogynistic or transphobic, are trying very hard to live up to some idea of maleness.
This is also very interesting. I like these answers, because it really expands on the idea behind misogyny, not just where it might originate from.

Maybe the next question is...or maybe I meant to ask...how did misogyny become acceptable in our culture? Was that due to religion or can a man be born a misogynist? I think it's more of a nurture vs nature kind of thing.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I don't make my being biologically male a defining feature of myself, so maybe that's why I don't think women are inferior. Truth be told, I'm not even sure my feelings that I'm male are more nature than they are conditioned. I often think I could probably be alright if I identified as gender neutral.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Maybe the next question is...or maybe I meant to ask...how did misogyny become acceptable in our culture? Was that due to religion or can a man be born a misogynist? I think it's more of a nurture vs nature kind of thing

Could be both. How much does our culture's hyper masculinity really have to do with religion? Now it has a consumerist aspect. Like men ought to wear camo, orange, and so on. That way you'll buy stuff.

Deidre

I don't make my being biologically male a defining feature of myself, so maybe that's why I don't think women are inferior. Truth be told, I'm not even sure my feelings that I'm male are more nature than they are conditioned. I often think I could probably be alright if I identified as gender neutral.

Really? That's a curious perspective. I think that our gender doesn't really define us, as much as it is just a cultural identifier? As a female though, I have tendencies that naturally differ from men, but I wonder if some of that was drilled into me from my childhood. As a girl, I was raised a certain way, to think a certain way, to behave a certain way. But, I don't see gender as meaningless, it just is? What we actually do with our lives...our actions, our voices, our opinions, are what matter. That's who we really are.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'd be willing to bet that most of the time they were abused by a woman -- perhaps during childhood -- and weren't able to cope with the abuse in a manner that left them free of hatred, cynicism, and bitterness. But I also think there are a whole lot of misogynists who were never abused by any woman and are just immature babies who resent the fact women are usually in a position to deny them sex.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you think it's a byproduct of religion? I know atheists who are misogynists, but the argument still could be that the world culture is so steeped in religion and religious values, that it's hard to escape the misogyny that is buried deep within some of the religious tenets that permeate our cultures.

So, what do you think? Do you believe that misogyny comes from religion? If not, where did it come from? Are some men just born misogynists?
I run across different usages of the word.
What do you have in mind?

Deidre

Could be both. How much does our culture's hyper masculinity really have to do with religion? Now it has a consumerist aspect. Like men ought to wear camo, orange, and so on. That way you'll buy stuff.
Well, this thread topic was ''inspired'' by a few threads I've read recently on here, where men seem to have this idea of women as inferior to them, largely due to their religious views. For those men, they don't make a distinction with what is right and wrong, but if their holy text perverts truth to mean that women are inferior to men, then that's all that matters to them. Perhaps, they're involuntary misogynists. lol

Deidre

I run across different usages of the word.
What do you have in mind?
A disdain for women, a hatred of women, as a whole. Not mere sexism, but actual hate. They see woman as ''the enemy,'' and work to hurt them. It's a term that is often misused in our society, but that's actually what it truly means.

Deidre

I'd be willing to bet that most of the time they were abused by a woman -- perhaps during childhood -- and weren't able to cope with the abuse in a manner that left them free of hatred, cynicism, and bitterness. But I also think there are a whole lot of misogynists who were never abused by any woman and are just immature babies who resent the fact women are usually in a position to deny them sex.

I tend to agree with you, here.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

What do I think?
Men are not like women, and at times we do not like women which can be confused for misogyny. I think a man has strong machismo, the feeling that he must be important. It is hard to explain this feeling. I think a woman has a strong sense of selectiveness which affects her as powerfully as a man's machismo affects him. These are like gravity in a way. A man must feel powerful and valued. A woman must be approached in a specific way by all things and people. I think the source of misogyny is not clear and can have many causes. I do not think it is caused by the religions. Its probably just a set of varied neuroses masquerading as one thing.

Deidre

What do I think?
Men are not like women, and at times we do not like women which can be confused for misogyny. I think a man has strong machismo, the feeling that he must be important. It is hard to explain this feeling. I think a woman has a strong sense of selectiveness which affects her as powerfully as a man's machismo affects him. These are like gravity in a way. A man must feel powerful and valued. A woman must be approached in a specific way by all things and people. I think the source of misogyny is not clear and can have many causes. I do not think it is caused by the religions. Its probably just a set of varied neuroses masquerading as one thing.

Not liking women ''at times'' isn't misogyny, but...our culture does mislabel men at times, when it's not really that at all.

I do believe there are fundamental differences that are biological between men and women. I like that my husband is masculine, and he likes that I'm feminine. But, at the same time, we treat each other with mutual respect. I view a misogynist incapable of doing that, because he feels that his gender sets him apart from females.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I would say that it is a product of the Animus of women--if you carefully observe misogynist practices in different cultures, you will see a definite pattern of women enforcing the nomos of patriarchy and misogynist practices--usually by women with undeveloped animus, who believe to possess "absolute truth," and enforce it as such.

Jung for Dummies: Animus Planet

Anima and animus - Wikipedia

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher

Where does misandry come from? To answer that is to answer why misogyny exist.