• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do your religious ideas come from?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Orbit said:
Where do your ideas about religion come from? Initially, and today?

Examples: Secular Books; Holy Books; Parents; Media; other people; insight; mystical experience; ecstatic experience though there may be other sources.

My ideas about religion first came through my parents, who were Presbyterian Church USA. Later it came from the Bible, and then historical Biblical scholarship like that of Bart Erhman. Still later I added the anthropological and sociological insights about religion from secular education, and secular books. Mystical experiences punctuated all of this, but not very often (2 total).

I've never had the patience to follow apologist vs. atheist debates, so that was not a source. Also not sources: youtube, social media. Today I am an agnostic atheist. My basic idea about religion now is that it does more harm than good in society, especially as it is tied to conservative politics. I think there are people who psychologically need religion to cope with life, and I understand that, which is why I'm not completely anti-theist. I do think people of all and no faith should be free to be how they are without discrimination, recognizing that disagreement or difference is not persecution.

What methodology one pursued to find the truth in religions and or no-religions and the denominations of the both, please, right?
So, one didn't pursue any methodology, right?

Regards