• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do your religious ideas come from?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Where do your ideas about religion come from? Initially, and today?

Examples: Secular Books; Holy Books; Parents; Media; other people; insight; mystical experience; ecstatic experience though there may be other sources.

My ideas about religion first came through my parents, who were Presbyterian Church USA. Later it came from the Bible, and then historical Biblical scholarship like that of Bart Erhman. Still later I added the anthropological and sociological insights about religion from secular education, and secular books. Mystical experiences punctuated all of this, but not very often (2 total).

I've never had the patience to follow apologist vs. atheist debates, so that was not a source. Also not sources: youtube, social media. Today I am an agnostic atheist. My basic idea about religion now is that it does more harm than good in society, especially as it is tied to conservative politics. I think there are people who psychologically need religion to cope with life, and I understand that, which is why I'm not completely anti-theist. I do think people of all and no faith should be free to be how they are without discrimination, recognizing that disagreement or difference is not persecution.

I guess if you're asking for my history, basically, my first introduction to religion was when I was between 6-8, and it was I'm sure just the Lord's prayer.

When I was in my middle school years, I attended Catholic confirmation, and other pre-baptism classes. I never really enjoyed the classes personally; never felt engaged in the stories I guess. Although I felt there was some sort of higher power out there.

When I was probably 17-18, I began to do a lot of internet reading, and found some blogs, and other websites dedicated to Paganism and Magick. I was hooked immediately on some of the philosophy of respect for Nature and the Earth, and finding the Divine within Nature, and by extension Everything.

It was here that I found out what Polytheism was, immediately hooked on the more common Myths of various pantheons such as Greek, Celtic, Egyptian, and Norse. Nothing stuck for a really time in relation to a desire to work with particular Gods.

But I wasn't really looking either, I figured a God would find me, if they so chose.

Many years go by, as my life was rather busy, so I read up on Magick, divination, philosophy, and anything else I could get my hands on.

Then one day, I'm sitting listening to a rather boring speaker. Looking out the nearby window. And BAM! A God hits me in the head, mystical experience. But I didn't know which one it was. All I knew was It KNEW me. Now I put it that way because I felt like We knew each other, it was a two-way street. So I do some reading and meditation, and the first Deity I thought it was turned me away immediately. But She left me with a direction to look. Which is where I first reached out to the All-Father.

Now, I had had passing blows with Heathenism and Germanic Paganism, but I was never particularly interested in it due to the ties to some of it's fringe elements, and overly folkish emphasis (read racist). But, when the All-Father beckons, you don't really ignore it.

From there I dove deeper into the Norse and Germanic myths, and am still reading to this day.

I've had 2 other mystical experiences, but if I don't stop talking now, I'll just keep writing, because I remember more.and more stuff that I missed. Hahaha.

So I'll end here.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Examples: Secular Books; Holy Books; Parents; Media; other people; insight; mystical experience; ecstatic experience though there may be other sources.

My ideas about religion first came through my parents, who were Presbyterian Church USA. Later it came from the Bible, and then historical Biblical scholarship like that of Bart Erhman. Still later I added the anthropological and sociological insights about religion from secular education, and secular books. Mystical experiences punctuated all of this, but not very often (2 total).

I've never had the patience to follow apologist vs. atheist debates, so that was not a source. Also not sources: youtube, social media. Today I am an agnostic atheist. My basic idea about religion now is that it does more harm than good in society, especially as it is tied to conservative politics. I think there are people who psychologically need religion to cope with life, and I understand that, which is why I'm not completely anti-theist. I do think people of all and no faith should be free to be how they are without discrimination, recognizing that disagreement or difference is not persecution.
Really good question, one worth meditating on.

I like to think most of my religious thoughts come from mystical experiences, but I'm sure my parents, my Guru, and friends with insights would form a composite or conglomerate source for much of it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What would his name be?
Isn't it obvious?
nnkzteihxwkazh5vyoci

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I loved watching Euclids (don't know the actual name) as a kid over by the local highway when they were improving it. Do you mean big backhoes?
Excavators are essentially backhoes...just
bigger, & mounted on dedicated platforms,
not just tractor designs.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Backhoe....
OIP.6YeAL6mAt95cggYjATQ-OwHaE8

Excavator....
84723.jpg
On our road trip last spring, on a lonesome forestry road, we encountered one of these being loaded on a truck. The track somehow broke about 100 metres up the hill, and he used the bucket and force to wiggle his way down to the road so a flatbed could winch it on and take it for repairs. We say the last hour or so of that process.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
On our road trip last spring, on a lonesome forestry road, we encountered one of these being loaded on a truck. The track somehow broke about 100 metres up the hill, and he used the bucket and force to wiggle his way down to the road so a flatbed could winch it on and take it for repairs. We say the last hour or so of that process.
Those booms can do much.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I was a doubting Hindu theist at one time. I studied Hindu scriptures, Bible and Quran. Then I became an atheist with views aligned to science. The philosophy that I follow today, i.e., Advaita (non-duality) is completely in agreement with science.

PearlSeeker

Actually, I think it takes a more psychological strength (or spiritual) to be a person of Christian faith than trying to live without it. (signature and my personal viewpoint)
From my experience it takes (at least) the same strength to live without belief in (Biblical) God and heaven/hell.

PearlSeeker

Initially: parents (Catholicism).

Next: priests, the Bible, Christian books, philosophy from secular education, personal deep questioning and pondering, internet forums, nature, intuition, music, mystical experience...

Next: historical Biblical scholarship (Barth), critical thinking, interfaith study, yt, Einstein, Ramakrishna, Ram Dass, Watts, Krishnamurti, A. De Mello...

I have moved from mythos/dogma to logos but I still think religion was good for my upbringing/education, moral values like marriage and family... I still believe in the ultimate reality/Absolute/ground of being. For me the only revealing "book" (not written by man) is nature and its structure. And nature is not separated from the Source like light is not separated from the Sun ... This belief is mainly intuitive but it's not against reason and science.

Loosing what I previously thought was strong faith has made me more humble and tolerant. No belief or knowledge is 100%.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In my case? Some mix of exposure to Catholicism, other Christian and pseudo-Christian groups, Kardecist Spiritism, SAW Gnosticism and my own interest in Taoism, Buddhism and Hinduism. Later came a wider interest in religions and pseudo-religions in general.

I learned a lot over the years about what religion is supposed to be according to many of those movements. And decided that quite a few of those views I can't support at all on ethical grounds. Sometimes esthetical grounds as well; I could not hold Abrahamic nor animistic beliefs if my life depended on it.

Once I began to accept what religion is supposed to be by my own understanding (mostly Dharma) it all sort of falls into place, since so much of it comes from what I am willing to accept responsibility for.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
In my case? Some mix of exposure to Catholicism, other Christian and pseudo-Christian groups, Kardecist Spiritism, SAW Gnosticism and my own interest in Taoism, Buddhism and Hinduism. Later came a wider interest in religions and pseudo-religions in general.

I learned a lot over the years about what religion is supposed to be according to many of those movements. And decided that quite a few of those views I can't support at all on ethical grounds. Sometimes esthetical grounds as well; I could not hold Abrahamic nor animistic beliefs if my life depended on it.

Once I began to accept what religion is supposed to be by my own understanding (mostly Dharma) it all sort of falls into place, since so much of it comes from what I am willing to accept responsibility for.
I don't get exactly one's last paragraph, please.
Kindly elaborate it for me, please.

Regards

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't get exactly one's last paragraph, please.
Kindly elaborate it for me, please.

Regards
"Once I began to accept what religion is supposed to be by my own understanding (mostly Dharma)"

Dharma is a word with many meanings and it is strongly advisable to provide plenty of context when using it.

Here, I am using it as shorthand for "religious practice with an emphasis on personal responsibility for both actions and omissions".

It is a stance that contrasts with and excludes conceptions of religion that expect belief and particularly submission for a presumed deity. Yes, Dharma has Devas and other practice entities that are often called deities. But despite very superficial similarities, their role (with few exceptions such as arguably Bhakti Yoga) is nothing like those of Abrahamic deities.

I have been raised in a society where most people, even atheists, often presume that so-called deities always follow Abrahamic parameters. Many people actually expect us to be Abrahamic theists unless we are in some sense rebels, which is a fantastic expectations with no respect for the reality of facts.

I could not adhere to such conceptions and expectations if my life depended on it. I'm simply not adaptable to them, nor would I ever want to be. Not everyone is inclined to Bhakti practice or even at all compatible with it.

"it all sort of falls into place, since so much of it comes from what I am willing to accept responsibility for."

I have come to realize that whatever religious or pseudo-religious doctrine I develop an interest in, I will need to have and use the ability to question its aplicability, meaning, parameters and language.

I have to time for doctrine that I can't shape myself and have authority for. I am just not cut of that cloth. It is for me to validate my doctrines, not the other way around. Never.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"Once I began to accept what religion is supposed to be by my own understanding (mostly Dharma)"

Dharma is a word with many meanings and it is strongly advisable to provide plenty of context when using it.

Here, I am using it as shorthand for "religious practice with an emphasis on personal responsibility for both actions and omissions".

It is a stance that contrasts with and excludes conceptions of religion that expect belief and particularly submission for a presumed deity. Yes, Dharma has Devas and other practice entities that are often called deities. But despite very superficial similarities, their role (with few exceptions such as arguably Bhakti Yoga) is nothing like those of Abrahamic deities.

I have been raised in a society where most people, even atheists, often presume that so-called deities always follow Abrahamic parameters. Many people actually expect us to be Abrahamic theists unless we are in some sense rebels, which is a fantastic expectations with no respect for the reality of facts.

I could not adhere to such conceptions and expectations if my life depended on it. I'm simply not adaptable to them, nor would I ever want to be. Not everyone is inclined to Bhakti practice or even at all compatible with it.

"it all sort of falls into place, since so much of it comes from what I am willing to accept responsibility for."

I have come to realize that whatever religious or pseudo-religious doctrine I develop an interest in, I will need to have and use the ability to question its aplicability, meaning, parameters and language.

I have to time for doctrine that I can't shape myself and have authority for. I am just not cut of that cloth. It is for me to validate my doctrines, not the other way around. Never.
Thanks and regards.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Philosophy and real world experiences.

Religion isn't really a science but rather subservient to science from which many philosophical thoughts arise.