• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do your religious ideas come from?

Orbit

I'm a planet
Where do your ideas about religion come from? Initially, and today?

Examples: Secular Books; Holy Books; Parents; Media; other people; insight; mystical experience; ecstatic experience though there may be other sources.

My ideas about religion first came through my parents, who were Presbyterian Church USA. Later it came from the Bible, and then historical Biblical scholarship like that of Bart Erhman. Still later I added the anthropological and sociological insights about religion from secular education, and secular books. Mystical experiences punctuated all of this, but not very often (2 total).

I've never had the patience to follow apologist vs. atheist debates, so that was not a source. Also not sources: youtube, social media. Today I am an agnostic atheist. My basic idea about religion now is that it does more harm than good in society, especially as it is tied to conservative politics. I think there are people who psychologically need religion to cope with life, and I understand that, which is why I'm not completely anti-theist. I do think people of all and no faith should be free to be how they are without discrimination, recognizing that disagreement or difference is not persecution.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
That's a good question...

I think most of my beliefs have amassed from my own experiences, at least as an adult. I think early on, being exposed to different ideas led me to consider them, and that left me to question.

Once I was introduced to polytheism, I began to love religion. And then I began to study it, for the fun of it. (I never found that spark in my parent's home under their monotheistic guidelines.) I had my own beliefs, but didn't realize they had a label until I started learning more about Eastern religions.

There was a time period before that that I'd labeled myself 'Bugan', meaning a Pagan with Buddhist leanings. I found most of these pieces of me fell under the title of Hinduism(though I use Hindu in a general sense, as I do not belong to any sect).

People said what they believed.
I reacted with "Ew!".
Nothing has changed in almost 70 years.

The family sometimes mentions 'the big excavator in the sky' as the overseer of machinery that has passed on. He's a cheerful fellow with bright colors... is he really so 'ew'?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The family sometimes mentions 'the big excavator in the sky' as the overseer of machinery that has passed on. He's a cheerful fellow with bright colors... is he really so 'ew'?
Oh, if only He were a giant colorful excavator.
But instead He visits us with plagues, floods,
droughts, criminals, ennui, lawyers, & mortality.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Oh, if only He were a giant colorful excavator.
But instead He visits us with plagues, floods,
droughts, criminals, ennui, lawyers, & mortality.

I'm afraid you've got him mixed up with someone else.

Machinery doesn't meddle in that kind of pettiness, to my knowledge.

Just rust and engine malfunctions.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Examples: Secular Books; Holy Books; Parents; Media; other people; insight; mystical experience; ecstatic experience though there may be other sources.

My ideas about religion first came through my parents, who were Presbyterian Church USA. Later it came from the Bible, and then historical Biblical scholarship like that of Bart Erhman. Still later I added the anthropological and sociological insights about religion from secular education, and secular books. Mystical experiences punctuated all of this, but not very often (2 total).

I've never had the patience to follow apologist vs. atheist debates, so that was not a source. Also not sources: youtube, social media. Today I am an agnostic atheist. My basic idea about religion now is that it does more harm than good in society, especially as it is tied to conservative politics. I think there are people who psychologically need religion to cope with life, and I understand that, which is why I'm not completely anti-theist. I do think people of all and no faith should be free to be how they are without discrimination, recognizing that disagreement or difference is not persecution.
Buddhist groups (and retreat) in various locations over the years... and books.

Orbit

I'm a planet
A lot of my inspiration comes from the guy in your signature

Alan Watts had a true gift for communicating. Was there a talk or a book in particular that influenced you? My other favorite Watts quote goes something like this "A man trying to sell you enlightenment is like a man who picks your pocket, then tries to sell you your own watch."

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Where do your ideas about religion come from? Initially
Parents were disappointed of the Church, moving away from it, 1 year prior to when I was born

Age 10 I declared "IF Jesus is on earth, I will go there"
I think it was the purity inside me; when born we are as pure as it gets
Then the journey starts to become aware and keeping or regaining purity

and today?
Sai Baba taught me all I ever need to know

I've never had the patience to follow apologist vs. atheist debates, so that was not a source

Also not sources: youtube, social media

My basic idea about religion now is that it does more harm than good in society
Dito for me (debates)

Dito for me (youtubes)

My basic idea about spirituality is that it's about personal connection with the Divine
Religion (Abrahamic) seems to be about expanding their own Religion, which does harm in society

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I think there are people who psychologically need religion to cope with life, and I understand that, which is why I'm not completely anti-theist

Actually, I think it takes a more psychological strength (or spiritual) to be a person of Christian faith than trying to live without it. (signature and my personal viewpoint)

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

What methodology one pursued to find the truth in religions and or no-religions and the denominations of the both, please, right?

Regards

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Wait, you're an agnostic atheist?
I missed that I think.
Welcome to the non-team. Meetings are...well...there are no meetings. And if there were, you'd need to bring your own snacks.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, I think it takes a more psychological strength (or spiritual) to be a person of Christian faith than trying to live without it. (signature and my personal viewpoint)

Less cognitive dissonance though...ahem...

(Sorry, had to go there)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Initially nowhere as my parents were atheists. Religion was not a topic in our family although cousins did practice Judaism.

Just before my real awakening I found myself attracted to aspects of spirituality reflected in psychology sources. One notable article in Psychology Today was on the tzaddik, a figure I took to mean teacher (not the correct meaning entirely). There was a note that someone did not go to a tzaddik to study scripture but to watch him tie his bootlaces because someone who has spiritual attainment would reflect it in the most humble acts.

When some notable experiences opened my eyes to something beyond the material realm, I read voraciously from all the world's major religions and spiritual figures from various religions including some Native American sources as well.

Along the way I wrote a few challenging letters to someone who was a "preceptor" of Sufism Reoriented asking for example how anyone can always be 100% honest and receiving answers I could accept.

I also ready literally everything by and about Meher Baba asking myself if I could accept that he was God in human form, the Avatar, the Christ and visited his close disciples wanting to see what they were really like.

Now my energy and focus is in trying to put what I know and feel into action but I do occasionally find something interesting to read.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

Generalizing that sentiment, anyone who strives to live up to her or his highest understanding of how to think feel and act will automatically be challenged by one's lower nature along with various external challenges.

...The aspirant, who has tasted a deeper love, knows the hidden possibilities in every soul. Thus his suffering is more acute because he feels the gulf between that which is and that which might have been, if only the world had even faintly appreciated the love he has begun to understand and cherish.

...Loyalty to the higher truths of his own perception demands unshakable moral courage and readiness to face the criticism, the scorn, and even the hatred of those who have not yet begun to open up to these truths.

... he has to develop the capacity to fight for these truths single-handedly, without relying upon external help all the time. This supreme moral courage can only come with supreme confidence in oneself and in the Master. To love the world and serve it in the ways of the Masters is no game for the weak and fainthearted.- Meher Baba

Yerda

Veteran Member
Once I was introduced to polytheism, I began to love religion. And then I began to study it, for the fun of it. (I never found that spark in my parent's home under their monotheistic guidelines.)
I'm not a Hindu, or even a theist but I had a similar experience. I read about Arjuna and Krishna in the Gita and I was totally captivated, didn't understand it all, but it was enjoyable. Spent months listening to Swami Sarvapriyananda most nights and started reading Shankaracharya and listening to commentary on the Upanishads. I'd probably chat about it more often if it wasn't so hard to spell the books, names and so on.

Anyway, it felt like seeing in colour after a lifetime of black and white.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd love to explain but am terrible at explaining. Some major influences after my Charismatic Christian upbringing
NIV bible & KJV bible (and no I don't recommend all of these. Some I recommend, some not):
The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson
He Came to Set the Captives Free by Rebecca Brown
Christendom Astray by Robert Roberts
Apprentices of Wonder: Inside the Neural Network Revolution by William F. Allman
Foundation -- a fictional work by Isaac Asimov.
Creation and Time: A Biblical and Scientific Book on the Creation Date Controversy by Dr. Hugh Ross
The Search for the Real Self: Unmasking the Personality Disorders of Our Age (chapters 1-3). by James F. Masterson
Church USA Today forums, Live Journal, Comparative Religion forums, Virtual Jerusalem forums and various other forums including this one
This photo of an ancient painting in an Egyptian tomb:
full

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not a Hindu, or even a theist but I had a similar experience. I read about Arjuna and Krishna in the Gita and I was totally captivated, didn't understand it all, but it was enjoyable. Spent months listening to Swami Sarvapriyananda most nights and started reading Shankaracharya and listening to commentary on the Upanishads. I'd probably chat about it more often if it wasn't so hard to spell the books, names and so on.

Anyway, it felt like seeing in colour after a lifetime of black and white.

Yeah, the spelling can be a doozy if you're not used to it. My youngest son has a name from the Mahabharata, and family struggles with it.

After awhile, though, you'll see patterns in it, and you'll get used to it.