• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where Do You Usually Shop?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I was buying groceries a few days ago, and it occurred to me that I rarely need to buy anything from hypermarkets or supermarkets. At least 90% of the time, everything I need as far as food and drinks go is available in smaller stores.

Do you usually shop at supermarkets/hypermarkets or smaller stores?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I was buying groceries a few days ago, and it occurred to me that I rarely need to buy anything from hypermarkets or supermarkets. At least 90% of the time, everything I need as far as food and drinks go is available in smaller stores.

Probably get about 80% at supermarkets. I get meat from the butcher, fish from the fish co-op and a few things from a local smaller store.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably get about 80% at supermarkets. I get meat from the butcher, fish from the fish co-op and a few things from a local smaller store.

A smaller store I frequently shop at has good meat, but more specific cuts (like lamb chops) require a butcher.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
A smaller store I frequently shop at has good meat, but more specific cuts (like lamb chops) require a butcher.

I use the local butcher because they're a young couple having a go at their first business even though I doubt if the amount I spend there makes any difference.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Lately, at a small Indian grocer I found on my way home from work.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I should probably start getting meat in bulk at the locker, it is cheaper. But for most groceries I go to cheap stores like fareway

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I use specialty grocers an awful lot(Burmese markets in particular, though we also have Latino and Bosnian stores I hit up, too). Occasionally, I'll drive an hour to get to an Indian market. I don't use the big box stores too much for food; they're expensive for the products I use most, and they're inconvenient to get to. I do tend to use what's called Family Dollar a lot; they sell very basic foods, but what we tend to go for are household products(things like soaps, TP, socks, etc). They are lower priced than the big name places, and are usually nestled in neighborhoods as opposed to commercial areas. I abhor driving to the city's commercial area.

I buy books online, often through thrift book stores. I don't buy clothes too often, but when I do, it tends to be specific stuff online. We're all picky about what we wear(except for the youngest), and what we want isn't available locally.

Treks

98% the local supermarket. I drive there and browse; rarely use home delivery or click and collect.

But I'm trying to visit more specialty wholefood shops to fill my own containers with stuff like rice, pasta, spices, seeds, flour, etc. To reduce waste. Gee it's expensive tho.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
It might be, but I do a form of easy-park store pickup service that is initiated online.

You are my enemy! The staff doing the shopping for the lazy people have giant carts that block the aisles and drive me crazy!

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I mostly shop at Walmart, a local grocery store, and occasionally at the local Dollar General. I don't order groceries and household supplies from Walmart online because it's too much of a hassle in the area where I live. However, I purchase items about 95% of the time online for holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries, as well as for clothing and anything else I want to buy for myself or my family. I normally shop early in the morning or late at night because I don't like large crowds and being around other people is difficult for me.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I mostly shop at Walmart, a local grocery store, and occasionally at the local Dollar General. I don't order groceries and household supplies from Walmart online because it's too much of a hassle in the area where I live. However, I purchase items about 95% of the time online for holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries, as well as for clothing and anything else I want to buy for myself, my husband, or my children. I normally shop early in the morning or late at night because I don't like large crowds and being around other people is difficult for me.

I'm afraid to go into a Wal-Mart...

I am totally fodder for one of those 'People of Wal-Mart' calendars. Actually... the whole family is. And so is the van.

Best just for me to shop elsewhere... :D

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I'm afraid to go into a Wal-Mart...

I am totally fodder for one of those 'People of Wal-Mart' calendars. Actually... the whole family is. And so is the van.

Best just for me to shop elsewhere... :D

I have a detailed list of specific things I need to buy at Walmart. I go in and get everything I need, pay out, and then I get out as soon as I can. I'm the same way at the local grocery store, Dollar General, or any other store that I need to go into. My husband does most of the shopping for our family, or I'll send one of my sons. If I have to go shopping, then I'll shop early in the morning or late at night.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
I mostly shop at Walmart, a local grocery store, and occasionally at the local Dollar General. I don't order groceries and household supplies from Walmart online because it's too much of a hassle in the area where I live. However, I purchase items about 95% of the time online for holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries, as well as for clothing and anything else I want to buy for myself or my family. I normally shop early in the morning or late at night because I don't like large crowds and being around other people is difficult for me.

I'm with you with the shopping hours. I'm at the supermarket at 7am when they open to avoid the crowds.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I have a detailed list of specific things I need to buy at Walmart. I go in and get everything I need, pay out, and then I get out as soon as I can. I'm the same way at the local grocery store, Dollar General, or any other store that I need to go into. My husband does most of the shopping for our family, or I'll send one of my sons. If I have to go shopping, then I'll shop early in the morning or late at night.

Me too. I honestly hate shopping.

I do the specialty stores myself, though... my husband usually gets the wrong things when he goes in, and then I have to go back and do it anyways...

Viker

Häxan
I use Kroger's (with e-coupons and their membership plus card), Aldi's, Family Dollar, Dollar General, the Dollar Tree and various specialty stores.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I try to shop small stores, though it's not always possible and for many things I just go online because I can't get it anywhere local (especially if it's something I don't mind to save money, like a gently used book).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I use Kroger's (with e-coupons and their membership plus card), Aldi's, Family Dollar, Dollar General, the Dollar Tree and various specialty stores.
Kroger's I've never really liked. Family Dollar is probably the most expensive store I've seen with dollar in the name, Dollar General needs to learn their place, Dollar Tree is OK for a few things but the name is false advertisement now, but I like Aldi. Not the best quality for some things (their cheese leaves much to be desited) but they do have some good things and some of the items that come and go I liked enough to make my own version at home (like these lasagna rolls I only saw there a couple times years ago).
But the need for a quarter.:confounded: