• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do you stand on the 'omnipotence' of god?

Where do you stand on the 'omnipotence' of god?

• God is omnipotent.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • God can control various things, but prefers to let humans take charge.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • God is all-powerful, but chooses to do nothing most of the time.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • We cannot understand the power of God.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • God does not exist.

• God is omnipotent, but chooses to let humans act for themselves, either for good or ill.

• To be filled 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To be filled 3

• To be filled 4

• To be filled 5

• To be filled 6

• To be filled 7

• To be filled 8

• To be filled 9

• To be filled 10

• Total voters

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
(Poll coming in a moment- just need to set it up.)

I imagine that there are going to be too many points of view for one poll- which is part of why I love RF! I'll go ahead and list some of the more obvious ones first, and then add others as people suggest them.

What is the best description of how you feel or what you believe about whether or not Deity is omnipotent?

BFD_Zayl

hmm, if the God/s were/is omnipotent, then i don't believe s/he would let people suffer like they do on this planet.

Booko

Deviled Hen
BFD_Zayl said:
hmm, if the God/s were/is omnipotent, then i don't believe s/he would let people suffer like they do on this planet.

If God solved all our problems for us, what would be the implication for free will?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Feathers in Hair said:
You couldn't be content with the first option?! :p

I certainly am not content! I want to be filled #42!

God is omnipotent, but chooses to let humans act for themselves, either for good or ill.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I chose that we cannot understand the nature of the gods, or however you worded it. :)

A popular phrase is: God works in mysterious ways. I like to extend that to add: most of the time, in ways we aren't aware of.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I believe that God is omnipotent.

He put us here on earth to allow us to grow and learn, and to see if we would obey His commandments.

What would be the point if God controlled everything? If God does not allow us the ability to choose, there is no merit in our actions. We could not justly be rewarded or punished. IMO

BFD_Zayl

Booko said:
If God solved all our problems for us, what would be the implication for free will?
i'm not talking about minor problems like "i want a skateboard" i'm saying the millions of starving people, abducted children being used as sex slaves and child workers, deathcamps anywhere in the world, pollution that threatens to destroy our planet, etc. so, either the gods are not omnipotent, or, they are, and decide to sit back and watch us destroy ourselves. the only gods i place faith in are the lords of death. at least they never ignore us.

Zephyr

Moved on
My gods are far from omnipotent. Wise and powerful, yes, but also very limited. Even they can (and will) die.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
While objectively I'm agnostic, I personally am panentheist. I believe that God is the conscious will of the Universe. This probably makes God omnipotent.

God - in this view - probably cannot make a burrito so spicy that even It cannot eat it, but that is irrelevent. God, as the conscious will, presumably has control over Universal forces. It is not above these forces, but that still does not exclude It from being all powerful (as defined as having "all the powers").

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
God can control various things, but prefers to let humans take charge.

I'm really unsure about the extent of God's power, and I find myself drifting into agnosticism more each day....