1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Where Do You Put Your Faith?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by nPeace, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Milton Platt

Milton Platt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,255
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I've been out of the country........

That's quite a long post. Too bad it's mostly Bible quotes and commentary on the quotes

Effects of spirit - Matthew 10:20; Mark 13:11; Luke 12:11, 12; 21:14, 15; John 14:26; Hebrews 4:12

Demonstrate that a spirit exists before you attribute things to it.

Effects of prayer - Matthew 6:7, 8; Mark 14:38

The effects of prayer are measurable and they have been measures and shown not to work.
    Power of prayer flunks an unusual test
    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.1005.5574&rep=rep1&type=pdf
    http://freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Harvard_prayer_experiment

Effects of God's word, the Bible - Psalms 1:1-3; 119

You need to list specific things and then demonstrate cause and effect.

2. Milton Platt

Ratings:
    +3,255
    Religion:
    Atheist

Effects of spirit - Matthew 10:20; Mark 13:11; Luke 12:11, 12; 21:14, 15; John 14:26; Hebrews 4:12

Demonstrate that a spirit exists before you attribute things to it.

Effects of prayer - Matthew 6:7, 8; Mark 14:38

The effects of prayer are measurable and they have been measures and shown not to work.
    Power of prayer flunks an unusual test
    http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.1005.5574&rep=rep1&type=pdf
    http://freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Harvard_prayer_experiment

Effects of God's word, the Bible - Psalms 1:1-3; 119

You need to list specific things and then demonstrate cause and effect.

3. nPeace

nPeace Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,871
    Religion:
    Follower of Christ
    Do you think?
    If you do, please demonstrate that you do, and then I will try my best to meet your request.

Do you think they might have had more success running a test on ignorance? Is it possible to test ignorance do you think?
    Then I think the failure is in these tests - not prayer.
    How can one test something they don't know anything about?

Power to transform lives, resulting in happy family life, unity among people of all nationalities, or ethnicity, race, background..., wisdom that serves as a protection, and saves lives.
    2 Timothy 3:16, 17.

4. Milton Platt

Ratings:
    +3,255
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I think, as all humans do. So please do provide the evidence that can be verified and tested that shows what "spirit" is and what it does, thanks.

I have no idea why you are asking about tests for ignorance. That isn't even germane to the discussion.

The people doing the testing took their cues from Christians as to what prayer is supposed to do. The idea of intercessory prayer is that you pray for someone to be healed and they are healed, right? They tested to see if those that were prayed for were healed at a greater rate than those who were not. It' really simple.

People have happy families and have wisdom, and save lives, all without the Bible, so I don't get the connection.

5. nPeace

nPeace Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,871
    Religion:
    Follower of Christ
    Sorry Milton, reasonable people reason, not throw questions, while ignoring questions thrown at them. You haven't answered any of my questions - past or present.
    Is this a one way, or two way dialogue?

Please demonstrate that you think, and then I will try my best to meet your request. Thank you.

That's just it. They are ignorant to what prayer is, and what it involves.
    1. What is a Christian?
    2. Prayer is not a ask-for-what-you-need-and you-will-get ceremony/ritual like asking some genie in a bottle for a wish.

Likely you don't have in mind what I am saying. So give a few examples of having wisdom that serves as a protection, saving lives, and unity among people of all nationalities, or ethnicity, race, background...,

6. pipahaha

pipahaha New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Your article is very content, very good, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  7. TagliatelliMonster

TagliatelliMonster Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,606
    Religion:
    Atheist