• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Any fruit that smells like a rotting corpse when it is ripe should be a good indicator of something not to eat, but humans are crazy.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Depends on my day. I suffer from chronic depression and anxiety.

Supposedly we're a lot closer scientifically to putting a new head on another body than Jesus ever was.

Even though the medicine was primitive compared to now, I'd still, if I time traveled to Jesus' era, go find a Roman or Greek hospital than deal with random faith healers.

I don't like oranges and can only stand drinking orange juice a few times a year at most.

My knees hurt all the time. The prospect of just switching over to a new robot body when the old one wears out is VERY attractive. :)

Meh. Life is complicated. Anyone who gives you a bumper sticker version of reality is full of it.
Chronic depression... Sorry to hear.
What are your thoughts.
Do you think that man is lackadaisical in their ways, in that they have enough knowledge, to by now have eradicated many of the diseases plaguing mankind?
Certainly man seems capable of accomplishing anything, so why this seeming incapability?
What do you think?

Bob the Unbeliever

Depends on my day. I suffer from chronic depression and anxiety.

So sorry to read this. Hope you get treatment(s) that work for you.. I know that scientific based pharmacology is getting better and better in these areas all the time.

On the third hand, I also know of any number of friends, who believe smoking (or eating) cannibis is also helpful. Of course-- at least a few of these people are perpetually high, so how credible can they be? Well... apart from being high...

Supposedly we're a lot closer scientifically to putting a new head on another body than Jesus ever was.

Indeed... .I do seem to recall reading about an Italian doctor who was going to try. A man who's body was absolutely failing. and he was paraplegic anyway, was going to transplant onto a healthy body that had suffered fatal head trauma. Of course, the donor body would need to be entirely regulated by external machines (much as the late Christopher Reeves). I don't know if he went forward or not, but I know experiments in this area with animals have been done for a long time.

Even though the medicine was primitive compared to now, I'd still, if I time traveled to Jesus' era, go find a Roman or Greek hospital than deal with random faith healers.

Indeed.

I don't like oranges and can only stand drinking orange juice a few times a year at most.

My knees hurt all the time. The prospect of just switching over to a new robot body when the old one wears out is VERY attractive. :)

Oh, I'd absolutely jump at a chance of a robot body. For starters? Worn parts can easily be replaced with new ones...

Meh. Life is complicated. Anyone who gives you a bumper sticker version of reality is full of it.

Indeed. Complexity seems to be the deeply underlying mechanism for sure-- the smaller physicists get? The more complex it appears.

Milton Platt

Everyone wants to live and enjoy life right? Who doesn't enjoy eating an apple, or mango, or grape, or....? The things on this earth that can satisfy man, are almost endless, and the beauty about is is that we never tire of those things - They always seem fresh, and the experience always seem different.

Yet, the reality is, we age, and the body loses its vigor, the taste buds, lose their sensitivity... but the brain still seem to desire these things. Then death end it all.

Scientists are promising to fix that - resurrect the dead - end the aging process - end death.
The Bible says God, the creator, promises the same.

Where do you put your faith, your trust, your confidence, your hope...
In the "big magic man in the sky",:smirk: or the "puny dreamers on this earth"?:nomouth:

Why?

Neither.
Science may never conquer death, and certainly won't in my lifetime.
I have seen no evidence of a magic man in the sky.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Chronic depression... Sorry to hear.
What are your thoughts.
Do you think that man is lackadaisical in their ways, in that they have enough knowledge, to by now have eradicated many of the diseases plaguing mankind?
Certainly man seems capable of accomplishing anything, so why this seeming incapability?
What do you think?
People are encouraged by the bible to be ignorant. Even now, Orthodox Jews rile up other Jews, even in Israel, because they want the perks of living in civilization with none of the work. You simply won't be able to function properly if all you study are religious texts. King Solomon, the "wisest of the wise" had to outsource talent to build the Temple. If he was so wise, why couldn't he draw up some blueprints?

This is exacerbated by people in power who want all the perks for themselves.

On the third hand, I also know of any number of friends, who believe smoking (or eating) cannibis is also helpful. Of course-- at least a few of these people are perpetually high, so how credible can they be? Well... apart from being high..
I've been reading the articles on marijuana and I'm supportive of at least medical marijuana because I've seen the torture cancer patients go through for so little in return. I don't understand why I can give a hospice patient morphine every hour but they're not allowed to have a joint. I have asthma, so with chronic pain I'd need edibles or something. I'll have to wait until I retire from nursing though. I don't want to be high while giving meds. :)

I don't know if he went forward or not, but I know experiments in this area with animals have been done for a long time.
The patient backed out or something. I can't remember the details. I only know that at least we're willing to try while Jesus, who can supposedly heal anything, never helped John out.

Bob the Unbeliever

I've been reading the articles on marijuana and I'm supportive of at least medical marijuana because I've seen the torture cancer patients go through for so little in return. I don't understand why I can give a hospice patient morphine every hour but they're not allowed to have a joint. I have asthma, so with chronic pain I'd need edibles or something. I'll have to wait until I retire from nursing though. I don't want to be high while giving meds. :)

There is a vote in my Reddest of the Red-red-red States, Oklahomer (the only state with the single distinction to have every county go GOP in the past several national elections... but also one of the poorest in the union, and has the worst pay scales.... sad) a vote to legalize medical marijuana.

I seriously hope it passes-- I've witnessed, in the past year alone, several of my peeps suffer from the ravages of cancer, and were only able to keep their strength up by eating/smoking canibis. In addition to pain alleviation, it also helped with the extreme nausea-- such that, they were able to keep food down during treatment (where otherwise, they could not-- by direct experiment on their part. At least two were very skeptical of it's claims, but were to the point they needed something to control the nausea, and were at the "what can I possibly lose" stage... ).

One thing I am utterly surprised by? Since marijuana is basically a weed, you can argue that it's about as natural as you can get, without eating grass or something! :) (Of course, there are deeply inbred strains that one can point to as a counter-argument, but one does not have to purchase the most potent. Indeed, the older strains are literally weeds, and grow like weeds-- anyone can cultivate them) But, I would think that Naturalists and Christians alike would flock to this "god given cure" .... !

I can totally relate to asthma, as I am hyper-allergic to smokes of any category, especially cigarettes and joints. The barest whiff can trigger breathing issues for me as well. Chronic childhood asthma, tapered off from my 20s to my late 50s, and is only now returning as I hit 60s. So, it'd be edibles for me, too.

Some of my peeps who are strong advocates, claim that vaporizing methods of the oils, also works, and since it's a vapor, not smoke, it doesn't trigger as much. Perhaps.

I like the slower effect of the edibles, myself. :)

The patient backed out or something. I can't remember the details. I only know that at least we're willing to try while Jesus, who can supposedly heal anything, never helped John out.

That's too bad-- it could have revealed issue(s) not present in animal studies.

But yeah.... science has been figuring out how to fix things, and engineers have been making credible limb replacements for hundreds of years.

But not once in the history we have credible records of, do prayers manage to re-grow missing limbs, or re-connect severed spinal cords...

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Scientists don't make such "promises". However, science does produce more and better results than religion does. If you're sick, whose treatment would you consider to be more reliable; a doctor and his medicine or a priest and his prayers?
A “priest and his prayers” have prevailed on me in a few cases where medicine was ineffective.

Bob the Unbeliever

I usually put my faith in the spice cupboard, along with the Cumin.

In a very weird twist of things? I only just discovered Cumin spice about 2 years ago.

And? It was.... amazing.... my first recipe was a pot of mixed beans in a slow cooker.

Cumin is so amazing, it almost convinced me there is a god! :D

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
In a very weird twist of things? I only just discovered Cumin spice about 2 years ago.

And? It was.... amazing.... my first recipe was a pot of mixed beans in a slow cooker.

Cumin is so amazing, it almost convinced me there is a god! :D
Be careful! Cumin does not mix well with the Flying Spagetti Monster!

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Everyone wants to live and enjoy life right? Who doesn't enjoy eating an apple, or mango, or grape, or....? The things on this earth that can satisfy man, are almost endless, and the beauty about is is that we never tire of those things - They always seem fresh, and the experience always seem different.

Yet, the reality is, we age, and the body loses its vigor, the taste buds, lose their sensitivity... but the brain still seem to desire these things. Then death end it all.

Scientists are promising to fix that - resurrect the dead - end the aging process - end death.
The Bible says God, the creator, promises the same.

Where do you put your faith, your trust, your confidence, your hope...
In the "big magic man in the sky",:smirk: or the "puny dreamers on this earth"?:nomouth:

Why?

Consciousness arises from information processing. This processing also goes in one direction (from past to future) and it is possible only in a context with a certain thermodynamical state, namely a state of disequilibrium. Because that is what gives a direction to time: thermodynamics. Difficult to imagine a conscious process that is totally symmetric in time and cannot make a difference between past and future.

Ergo, if our Universe is going into thermal death, as it seems, then no matter what science is trying to do, any attempt to reach immortality is doomed, for nomological reasons. They can prolong life, but immortality is very likely impossible at fundamental level. No matter what pop scientists proclaim on youtube.

Ciao

- viole

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't like mangoes.
What the heck is wrong with you?

We were in Salem, the unofficial mango capital of India, and during mango season. The driver took us to a mango market. Many many varieties, with each 'helping' customer telling us which variety was the best. I could have stayed there forever.

Did you know, that by tonnage sold, mango is number one on this planet? Ahead of bananas, apples, grapes ...

Kirran

Premium Member
What the heck is wrong with you?

We were in Salem, the unofficial mango capital of India, and during mango season. The driver took us to a mango market. Many many varieties, with each 'helping' customer telling us which variety was the best. I could have stayed there forever.

Did you know, that by tonnage sold, mango is number one on this planet? Ahead of bananas, apples, grapes ...

I can't rate things both funny AND informative :(