• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What's the craze with seeing God? He is just the squirrel on the tree next door. Say "hi".. squeak squeak. :)
Seeing God is seeing Reality, of which the squirrel is. To see Reality, is to see God, and yourself. I agree. When I see the squirrel, I see God. God is "just this", as you stretch out your hand to everything you can touch and beyond.

Bob the Unbeliever

Where do you put your faith, your trust, your confidence, your hope...

Why?

Those are three very different things.

I don't have any faith--- not how theists mean the word*. None at all. So I put my "faith" nowhere. Just as an empty glass is "full" of "nothing"-- can you pour that out?

I put my trust... mostly... in the findings of Human Civilization, principally in the Scientific Method. Yes, I recognize it's not perfect. But. It has the absolute best track record of any other system. And most especially when compared to religion--- who's track record is absolutely worthless at finding out how the universe works.

But the trust is with reservations, naturally--- since it's human beings carrying out the research? And these same humans are fallible, and possessing of egos? Then they can make Mistakes.

However: Never in the entire history of the planet, have scientists had to back-track and say, "Oh! We were wrong-- this Religious Book had it right all along!" Not. One. Time. That's a pretty good record.

One more point: every time some scientific claim has to be back-tracked? It was always.... more scientists who found the error(s), and told us of a more accurate theory or model.

Hope. That one is tricky. Hope, you see, isn't based in anything, really-- things for which there is evidence? We can use trust.

I hope that one day, humanity will grow up and put away childish things, like selfishness, invisible wish-granting friends, abuse of those not-in-charge, tribalism, and ... of course.... belief in magic.

I also hope that humans will one day break out of the gravity well that is Earth, and travel the Solar System-- populating the asteroids, the other planets, moons and planetoids.

I hope this Space Civilization leaves behind the bigotry and ugliness that is most religions--- likely, as it would take someone with the ability to see beyond the immediate, to take a risk to leave Earth.

And I hope that one day? Humans will send Arks to other stars, to live and thrive.

You see? Hope can be anything.

______

* faith is the belief in things for which there is no evidence. Who does that? It's silly.

brendakshi

:D That's why oranges exists.
I believe that people should combine science and religion. Blindly believe this is about Augustine. I think that universities should explain how the world will arrange through science and religion. Each student must choose which side he is on PapersOwl. Students often write that science does not give answers and complicates everything.

Ponder This

Everyone wants to live and enjoy life right? Who doesn't enjoy eating an apple, or mango, or grape, or....? The things on this earth that can satisfy man, are almost endless, and the beauty about is is that we never tire of those things - They always seem fresh, and the experience always seem different.

Yet, the reality is, we age, and the body loses its vigor, the taste buds, lose their sensitivity... but the brain still seem to desire these things. Then death end it all.

Scientists are promising to fix that - resurrect the dead - end the aging process - end death.
The Bible says God, the creator, promises the same.

In the "big magic man in the sky",:smirk: or the "puny dreamers on this earth"?:nomouth:

Why?

Attachment to impermanent things leads to suffering.

A Vestigial Mote

I have to wonder what effect that all humans having access to technology that makes them "live forever" (or even just extends their lifetimes for some greater amount of time) would have on Earth and its ecosystems at our current rates of resource consumption. I can't imagine it being anything good for ourselves or the planet.

I also don't think it would be good at all if the "treatment" were only available to the mega-rich. Think the wealth-gap is a problem now? Just imagine if those holding the wealth never had to pass it on to others who might eventually use it differently. And I, myself, would definitely be willing to forgo application of such tech to myself if it meant a better life for my kids, grand-kids (provided my kids have them) and so on. So, a big "no thanks" to the science community from me.

And I don't believe in another realm that extends our "being" into eternity. The support for such is simply too insufficient to warrant belief.

Jumi

Scientists are promising to fix that - resurrect the dead - end the aging process - end death.
I haven't heard of any prominent scientist promising to fix it. Promising to resurrect the dead as a scientist sound like a career ending move to be honest...

The people who wrote the Bible had their idea of bodily resurrection after the Messiah comes or the events of Revelation, depending who you ask it might be souls ascending to heaven or hell too.

In the "big magic man in the sky",:smirk: or the "puny dreamers on this earth"?:nomouth:

Why?
With such promises I'd not go with either. I'm fine with what happens.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I dont know myself, but this world is more decadent than ever. And with the internet going on its totally lawless chaos.

I dont know whats holding it together quite honestly.

Im just looking for a place of purity , peace and decency. Like i had as a child.

I have faith that the truth will save me from the wretchedness of the world.

74x12

Everyone wants to live and enjoy life right? Who doesn't enjoy eating an apple, or mango, or grape, or....? The things on this earth that can satisfy man, are almost endless, and the beauty about is is that we never tire of those things - They always seem fresh, and the experience always seem different.

Yet, the reality is, we age, and the body loses its vigor, the taste buds, lose their sensitivity... but the brain still seem to desire these things. Then death end it all.

Why?
God

Kelly of the Phoenix

Everyone wants to live and enjoy life right?
Depends on my day. I suffer from chronic depression and anxiety.

Supposedly we're a lot closer scientifically to putting a new head on another body than Jesus ever was.

Scientists don't make such "promises". However, science does produce more and better results than religion does. If you're sick, whose treatment would you consider to be more reliable; a doctor and his medicine or a priest and his prayers?
Even though the medicine was primitive compared to now, I'd still, if I time traveled to Jesus' era, go find a Roman or Greek hospital than deal with random faith healers.

That's why oranges exists.
I don't like oranges and can only stand drinking orange juice a few times a year at most.

I'm thinking something like the Borg for Star Trek.
My knees hurt all the time. The prospect of just switching over to a new robot body when the old one wears out is VERY attractive. :)

Students often write that science does not give answers and complicates everything.
Meh. Life is complicated. Anyone who gives you a bumper sticker version of reality is full of it.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I believe that people should combine science and religion. Blindly believe this is about Augustine. I think that universities should explain how the world will arrange through science and religion. Each student must choose which side he is on PapersOwl. Students often write that science does not give answers and complicates everything.

I would prefer we throw the religion away and keep the science. Religion only retards humanity from it's own potential.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Certainly not! May acquire the taste one day, but it hasn't happened yet.
Good, durian is evil.

What about Salak fruit, or Rambutan, Lychee, Manngis, t'would appear you are not a fan of the pulpy fruits, and perhaps show more favor to the fibrous in meat.

Kirran

Premium Member
Good, durian is evil.

What about Salak fruit, or Rambutan, Lychee, Manngis, t'would appear you are not a fan of the pulpy fruits, and perhaps show more favor to the fibrous in meat.

So far I can do apples, grapes, pomegranates and bananas. And a couple of others things I have eaten once or twice and been cool with. I dunno why the others disagree with me so much.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
So far I can do apples, grapes, pomegranates and bananas. And a couple of others things I have eaten once or twice and been cool with. I dunno why the others disagree with me so much.
Cause oranges and mangos are the shizznit. that's why. try dried mango that stuff is the bomb.

Any fruit dried minus durian is delicious.