• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where do we go after we die? And how do you know?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
GPV said:
Hell? Purgatory? Reincarnation? Oblivion? Heaven (and if so, who's invited)?
Well, I suppose our bodies go to wherever our loved ones choose to put them. I believe that our spirits go to the spirit world described in the New Testament, where we will await the resurrection. For the righteous, the spirit world will be Paradise, a place of peace and rest. Jesus told the man next to Him on the cross that He would see him that day in Paradise. For the wicked, the spirit world will be prison, a place where they will be tormented by guilt and regret. All are invited, and no one can refuse the invitation! :bounce

GPV

For myself I am a pluralistic restorative universalist.

So I believe sincere seekers can find God on any path, that all are reconciled and go to heaven in the end but that reincarnation and/or purgatory where we relive our sins from our victims' points of view happen first. (I base this on the concept of God as a loving Supreme parent who cares not whether we call Him Dad or Mom or Hey, you! I also base this on the fact that He seems to put us here so that we can learn and that we would learn more from reincarnation or purgatory than we would from being set on fire.)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I think it was one of the forum members (Terrywoodenpick) who said, in response to a question about hell:-

"When I was young I thought Hell existed, I had just accepted what I was told.
For the next twenty years I doubted it's existance.
For the last thirty I have had no doubt that it did not exist.
The belief in Jesus and in the love of God Make the belief in Hell impossible for me."

Terry

I think that last sentence sounds so true, and epitomises what 'feels right' to me. In respect of this particular question, I believe that our souls return to be 'absorbed' into the soul of God, Love and nature.:)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'd like to go to a happy place, but I wouldn't mind reincarnation either. I expect it'll be more like passing out and not waking up.

EDIT: Oh crap! I'm very sorry, I didn't realize this was in the Liberal Christianity forum. If anyone wants me to delete this just say the word. Apologies, guys. :eek:

Ori

Angel slayer
GPV said:
Hell? Purgatory? Reincarnation? Oblivion? Heaven (and if so, who's invited)?
Somewhere else ? :rolleyes:

I think people will have the choice whether to reincarnate or simply move on to the great beyond, I also believe everyone will find happiness in the end.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jensa said:
I'd like to go to a happy place, but I wouldn't mind reincarnation either. I expect it'll be more like passing out and not waking up.
I used to believe in reincarnation; now I see that the reason I believed in it was as a 'safety valve' for when I felt very low. To be truthful, I can still see a logical argument for reincarnation, but since there is no hint of it in the Bible, I can only believe that I was wrong in my belief...........:)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
michel said:
I used to believe in reincarnation; now I see that the reason I believed in it was as a 'safety valve' for when I felt very low. To be truthful, I can still see a logical argument for reincarnation, but since there is no hint of it in the Bible, I can only believe that I was wrong in my belief...........:)
Hey, Michel.

So what's this logical argument? I'm curious.

GPV

Jensa said:

EDIT: Oh crap! I'm very sorry, I didn't realize this was in the Liberal Christianity forum. If anyone wants me to delete this just say the word. Apologies, guys. :eek:
We're liberals because we are open. I'm not a mod but I can't see any reason why you can't post in here. Surely we have Christians here who also study Eastern paths as well. :)

GPV

Katzpur said:
Hey, Michel.

Other folks have found reasons to think reincarnation is Biblical. :) I'll see if I can track down some of the pro arguments, if you want. (NOTE: we aren't supposed to debate in here, but I don't think this counts as a debate since we are presenting info from both sides but not getting into a who's right and wrong argument.)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
GPV said:
Other folks have found reasons to think reincarnation is Biblical. :) I'll see if I can track down some of the pro arguments, if you want. (NOTE: we aren't supposed to debate in here, but I don't think this counts as a debate since we are presenting info from both sides but not getting into a who's right and wrong argument.)
As a moderator, I say "Go ahead!" :jiggy: Nobody's going to get nasty. If we all had exactly the same thing to say, this wouldn't be a particularly interesting discussion, would it?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Katzpur said:
Hey, Michel.

O.K a logical argument for reincarnation

Children born all over the world, each day. Some in abject poverty, from the second they are born, malnourished, covered in flies looked after by a mother who is more than likely just as malnourished - walking miles each day to get some water to drink, and with which to cook............one out of four of those children will live more than six years..........

Another child, born here in England, to parents who are 'comfotably off' financially, with all the benefits of a reasonably comfortable life (at the worst), the opportunity of a good education, a good job, money, a car..............

How could a loving God be one who would allow such extremes to occur to different people ? - one born into certain illness, poverty and more than likely an early death, whilst giving another one all the benefits denied to the first child?

I came to rationalize this apparent inequality by believing in reincarnation - that throughout the 'string' of all our incarnations, we would all suffer the lows, and be bless with the highs of these different lifestyles. At the end of the day - both children will have lived as much bad and good as each other.

Of course, I have zoomed in on one example - just to give you the idea of my reasoning ; I saw it as logical - perhaps others will disagree. But it was what 'got me through' some extremely bad patches in life - the belief that I was going through a low either to repay a previous high, or to 'prepay' for a high in the next incartnation.........

It was also a sarned good argument against suicide - because if I failed to go through 'all the mess' - I'd have it all to go through again...:D

GPV

Michael, I once had an epiphany wherein for a split second knew that I had been everyone at one time or another, poor, rich, white, black, male, female... I'd been all of it.

And it wasn't an intellectual understanding, but a deep feeling of knowing in my soul. Now, whether God was telling me I had literally lived all of that or if He meant that we are all One therefore their experiences are mine I am not sure.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
michel said:
How could a loving God be one who would allow such extremes to occur to different people ? - one born into certain illness, poverty and more than likely an early death, whilst giving another one all the benefits denied to the first child?

I came to rationalize this apparent inequality by believing in reincarnation - that throughout the 'string' of all our incarnations, we would all suffer the lows, and be bless with the highs of these different lifestyles. At the end of the day - both children will have lived as much bad and good as each other.
Well, I see your point, but I don't see how God forcing us all to go through poverty, illness, abuse, etc. is really preferable to His only forcing some to go through it. I guess I'm just looking at the whole plan somewhat differently than you are. Yes, it's tragic that we are not all born into good families who enjoy blessed lifestyles. But I also believe that where much is given, much is expected. Maybe those we feel sorry for now will be in a position to feel sorry for us in the eternities. Have you ever thought of it that way?