• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did you go, Joe?

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Joseph, Mary's husband disappeared from the Bible when Jesus was around 12. What happened to him?

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
From New Advent:

Death. This is the last we hear of St. Joseph in the sacred writings, and we may well suppose that Jesus's foster-father died before the beginning of Savior's public life. In several circumstances, indeed, the Gospels speak of the latter's mother and brothers (Matthew 12:46; Mark 3:31; Luke 8:19; John 7:3), but never do they speak of His father in connection with the rest of the family; they tell us only that Our Lord, during His public life was referred to as the son of Joseph (John 1:45; 6:42; Luke 4:22) the carpenter (Matthew 13:55). Would Jesus, moreover, when about die on the Cross, have entrusted His mother to John's care, had St. Joseph been still alive? According to the apocryphal "Story of Joseph the Carpenter", the holy man reached his hundred and eleventh year when he died, on 20 July (A. D. 18 or 19). St. Epiphanius gives him ninety years of age at the time of his demise; and if we are to believe the Venerable Bede, he was buried in the Valley of Josaphat. In truth we do not know when St. Joseph died; it is most unlikely that he attained the ripe old age spoken of by the "Story of Joseph" and St. Epiphanius. The probability is that he died and was buried at Nazareth.

SoyLeche

meh...
Victor said:
From New Advent:

Death. This is the last we hear of St. Joseph in the sacred writings, and we may well suppose that Jesus's foster-father died before the beginning of Savior's public life. In several circumstances, indeed, the Gospels speak of the latter's mother and brothers (Matthew 12:46; Mark 3:31; Luke 8:19; John 7:3), but never do they speak of His father in connection with the rest of the family; they tell us only that Our Lord, during His public life was referred to as the son of Joseph (John 1:45; 6:42; Luke 4:22) the carpenter (Matthew 13:55). Would Jesus, moreover, when about die on the Cross, have entrusted His mother to John's care, had St. Joseph been still alive? According to the apocryphal "Story of Joseph the Carpenter", the holy man reached his hundred and eleventh year when he died, on 20 July (A. D. 18 or 19). St. Epiphanius gives him ninety years of age at the time of his demise; and if we are to believe the Venerable Bede, he was buried in the Valley of Josaphat. In truth we do not know when St. Joseph died; it is most unlikely that he attained the ripe old age spoken of by the "Story of Joseph" and St. Epiphanius. The probability is that he died and was buried at Nazareth.
That seems really old to only have been married for 20 years. Any idea where those numbers come from?

Quiddity

SoyLeche said:
That seems really old to only have been married for 20 years. Any idea where those numbers come from?
Where did you get that number from?

~Victor

SoyLeche

meh...
Victor said:

~Victor
The quote says that he was probably either 90 or 111 when he died in AD 18 or 19. Since he wasn't married yet at the conception of Jesus, and theoretically Jesus was born in AD 0, I did some simple math.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
So he was much, much older the Mary, whom I heard was in her middle teens. Any chance this was his 2nd marriage, which I have heard and discounted, and the some of his apostles where his brothers and step brothers., which I don't give much value to either.

greatcalgarian

Victor said:

~Victor
I think we can work out that Joseph and Mary was not married when Mary was conceived by the holy spirit. Let us assumed Jesus was born around 5AD to 6 BC, and died around AD30. So since Joseph passed away around AD20, Joseph and Mary must have been married for around 20 odd years?

If Joseph died at the age of 110, he got married around 80 or 90??

Quiddity

SoyLeche said:
The quote says that he was probably either 90 or 111 when he died in AD 18 or 19. Since he wasn't married yet at the conception of Jesus, and theoretically Jesus was born in AD 0, I did some simple math.
Ah ok I see. Well Christ most likely was born in 3-4 AD. And the 90 to 111 probably is titling him a tad too old. More then likely, he was married for about 15 years so with Mary. So Christ was probably 12-13 years old when he died. Don't quote me please. This is just my guess based on different sources.

~Victor

Quiddity

jgallandt said:
So he was much, much older the Mary, whom I heard was in her middle teens. Any chance this was his 2nd marriage, which I have heard and discounted, and the some of his apostles where his brothers and step brothers., which I don't give much value to either.
Old enough to be her grandfather.

~Victor

SoyLeche

meh...
Victor said:
Ah ok I see. Well Christ most likely was born in 3-4 AD. And the 90 to 111 probably is titling him a tad too old. More then likely, he was married for about 15 years so with Mary. So Christ was probably 12-13 years old when he died. Don't quote me please. This is just my guess based on different sources.

~Victor
I was mostly wondering where the numbers for his age come from, as well as the date of his death, which in the quote was very specific.

Quiddity

SoyLeche said:
I was mostly wondering where the numbers for his age come from, as well as the date of his death, which in the quote was very specific.

There was a couple writers who did note things about Joseph. So a combination of writings including the Bible and I suppose they can narrow down some close numbers. One thing is for certain, he was old when he married Mary. You can read more on it in New Advent if you wish. http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/08504a.htm

There are plenty other sources you can look at that will differ a slightly.

~Victor

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Could Joseph have been married before? Still in shock over his age. Now a day he'd be jailed for that. wow.

Quiddity

jgallandt said:
Could Joseph have been married before? Still in shock over his age. Now a day he'd be jailed for that. wow.
When forty years of age, Joseph married a woman called Melcha or Escha by some, Salome by others; they lived forty-nine years together and had six children, two daughters and four sons, the youngest of whom was James (the Less, "the Lord's brother"). A year after his wife's death, as the priests announced through Judea that they wished to find in the tribe of Juda a respectable man to espouse Mary, then twelve to fourteen years of age, Joseph, who was at the time ninety years old, went up to Jerusalem among the candidates; a miracle manifested the choice God had made of Joseph, and two years later the Annunciation took place. These dreams, as St. Jerome styles them, from which many a Christian artist has drawn his inspiration (see, for instance, Raphael's "Espousals of the Virgin"), are void of authority; they nevertheless acquired in the course of ages some popularity; in them some ecclesiastical writers sought the answer to the well-known difficulty arising from the mention in the Gospel of "the Lord's brothers"; from them also popular credulity has, contrary to all probability, as well as to the tradition witnessed by old works of art, retained the belief that St. Joseph was an old man at the time of marriage with the Mother of God.

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
Thank you Victor! you have just made my day and the history book of our home.
Jeff didnt believe me that Jesus had 4 brothers and 2 sisters and maybe there could have been a previous marriage.​
Rebecca is right... Jeff is wrong. karma to you :D