• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where Did This Belief Come From?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I believe this is instruction for authority:
Luke 9:35 And a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is my Son, my Chosen One; listen to him!”
Yes, and there are numerous references to that found in the Gospels, Acts, and many of the epistles.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
No - again, Jesus did not give them the Tanakh. The Tanakh's writings existed long before Jesus. So again - this is an indication that if Jesus ever actually uttered those words, his "word" there wasn't a reference to the Hebrew Scriptures.
Of course Jesus did Not give them the Tanakh. Jesus said the Tanakh is religious truth - John 17:17.
In other words, the word Tanakh is a Jewish designation for the old Hebrew Scriptures.
The three (3) divisions of the Jewish Scriptures. Torah the Law, Nevim the prophets, Kethuvim the writings. (TaNaKh)
Those long-existing writings of the old Hebrew Scriptures is what Jesus based his teachings on them.
Yes, John 17:17 is reference to those old Hebrew Scriptures.
Jesus used logical reasoning on the old Hebrew Scriptures on which to base his teachings.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course Jesus did Not give them the Tanakh. Jesus said the Tanakh is religious truth - John 17:17.

Read verse 14. In context, he's talking about a word he gave them. If he didn't give them the Tanakh, which we just agreed he didn't, then the word he's talking about isn't the Tanakh.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Read verse 14. In context, he's talking about a word he gave them. If he didn't give them the Tanakh, which we just agreed he didn't, then the word he's talking about isn't the Tanakh.
The Tanakh is considered as God's word (Hebrew Scripture) so, by Jesus saying God's word is truth, Jesus was saying the old Hebrew Scriptures ' Tanakh ' is religious truth at John 17:17
So, the 'word' Jesus gave them was the word or the Tanakh of John 17:14
- Psalms 119:160 - ' thy word is true ' (God's word is true )

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
The Tanakh is considered as God's word

Yes, I know that. The entire point of this conversation is that that assumption is not actually found in the verses you're citing. You are importing an assumption from outside the text into the text. Which doesn't make it wrong, by the way. It simply means you need to recognize that you're not just reading the Bible and only deriving your beliefs verbatim from that. You are bringing in interpretive assumptions to the text before you ever open it.

You also just contradicted yourself - after acknowledging that Jesus did not give them the Tanakh, you're now trying to twist it as though he did. No, sorry, he did not, as you already acknowledged.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yes, I know that. The entire point of this conversation is that that assumption is not actually found in the verses you're citing. You are importing an assumption from outside the text into the text. Which doesn't make it wrong, by the way. It simply means you need to recognize that you're not just reading the Bible and only deriving your beliefs verbatim from that. You are bringing in interpretive assumptions to the text before you ever open it.

You also just contradicted yourself - after acknowledging that Jesus did not give them the Tanakh, you're now trying to twist it as though he did. No, sorry, he did not, as you already acknowledged.

I believe the thing is this: Jesus did not give the Tanakh but God did and God is in Jesus.

InChrist

Free4ever
What if the Bible is untrue? Too many Christians would tell God He has to kowtow to the Bible.
If the Bible is untrue then it should be disregarded along with all other deceptive, pseudo- spiritual stuff. But I think the Bible demonstrates itself to be true, to be God’s revealed Word to anyone one who sincerely seeks and has stood the test of time. As well as endured the onslaught of attacks from skeptics for centuries.

74x12

Does the Bible ever say that our beliefs must be written in the Bible? Must we be able to cite chapter and verse that explicitly says what we believe in order to justify that belief?

If you think so, please cite chapter and verse stating this.
No, they just shouldn't contradict it.

Bree

Does the Bible ever say that our beliefs must be written in the Bible? Must we be able to cite chapter and verse that explicitly says what we believe in order to justify that belief?

If you believe that the bible is God word, then yes you should base your beliefs on it and should be able to show where those beliefs are state in scripture in order to prove they are Gods teachings and not your own.

2Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is inspired of God+ and beneficial for teaching,+ for reproving, for setting things straight,* for disciplining in righteousness,+ 17 so that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.

Romans 15:4 For all the things that were written beforehand were written for our instruction,+ so that through our endurance+ and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope.++

2Timothy 2:15 Do your utmost to present yourself approved to God, a workman with nothing to be ashamed of, handling the word of the truth aright.+

Dogknox20

Left Coast good to meet you..
Scriptures tell you "The Holy Body of Jesus his Church is our Guide" IF.....

Left Coast
if you believe the bible you will listen to the Church! The Church came long before the bible did... FACT....

Left Coast
fact is the Holy Church made the bible, she alone was the AUTHORITY that decided the inspired letters and weeded out the many phony letters that were NOT inspired words of God.. She put ONLY the truly inspired words of God into her book she named "The Bible"!

Matthew 18 Listen to the Church or be treated as a Pagan!

John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever-

The Holy Spirit is guiding God' Holy Church!
John 14:26 But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

The Holy Spirit is guiding God' Holy Church into all truth!
John 16:13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.

Jesus is ALWAYS with his Holy Bride to the very end of time.. This means he is still with his church today.. There is NO NEED for man to form anew Jesus' holy body he never lost his Church His Church does NOT need to be re-Formed!
Matthew 28:20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Matthew 16.. Jesus built his church on ROCK not on sand it will never ever fail! TO THINK....

Left Coast
to think Jesus failed, to think the Church Jesus established on ROCK fell is to call Jesus a fool!
Matthew 7:26
But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.