• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Where Did Life Come From?" A 13 Minute Primer For Creationists

Skwim

Veteran Member

Not that I expect any to watch it all the way through, but if they do they might better understand the scientific underpinnings of pre-evolution origins . A subject they're fond of bringing up in discussions and debates.

PruePhillip

Not that I expect any to watch it all the way through, but if they do they might better understand the scientific underpinnings of pre-evolution origins . A subject they're fond of bringing up in discussions and debates.

Genesis has its own take on this.
"God commanded the seas to bring forth life."
Genesis says that life appeared on land first - ten years ago people would say
that was wrong but now there's a strong suspicion that life cannot develop in
salt water - it most probably emerged in fresh water, wet volcanic rocks or wet
clay.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Goodness...its "Where's Wally" impersonating a scientist.....!
happy0195.gif

What was that? Science for 7 year olds? It might convince a 7 year old....but adults might notice a repeat of some words in this video that kids probably wouldn't....its what turns science fact into science fiction. There is a great dependency on the words "could have" and "might have" all the way through this bit of nonsense.

God "might have" or "could have" created life too......there is just as much real evidence. :rolleyes:

Nice try....

whirlingmerc

happy0195.gif

What was that? Science for 7 year olds? It might convince a 7 year old....but adults might notice a repeat of some words in this video that kids probably wouldn't....its what turns science fact into science fiction. There is a great dependency on the words "could have" and "might have" all the way through this bit of nonsense.

God "might have" or "could have" created life too......there is just as much real evidence. :rolleyes:

Nice try....

One of many problems with the Urey Miller experiment is it assumes a reducing atmosphere.

There is no evidence that the earth ever had a reducing atmosphere according to NASA
However a primordial problem is that miller generated mostly poisonous materials and the chemicals made were not stable and also random handedness where life is highly left or right handed.

A rescue device is having life form of life formed in a slushy comet! Some evolutionists realized the hopelessness of the Urey Miller conclusion and gave that up in favor of life elsewhere. Some such as Crick even said life is so complex it was seeded by the aliens but can't answer the question where the aliens come from.

Not to mention entropy. Information cannot arise spontaneously. Information runs down but with a creator 'in the beginning was information' Creation explains that.

Last edited:

whirlingmerc

Isn't it interesting, the same people who scream about separation of church and state like to fund PBS to push religious evolutionary ideas on kids. And that without a balancing rebuttal. Imagine my surprise.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
happy0195.gif

Nice try....
Creationists often complain when scientists use peer terminology and then complain again when others point out how ignorant that is. And if scientists treat something as well proven as gravity as a fact they tend to have a cow.

There is no pleasing the terminally wrong.

whirlingmerc

Creationists often complain when scientists use peer terminology and then complain again when others point out how ignorant that is. And if scientists treat something as well proven as gravity as a fact they tend to have a cow.

There is no pleasing the terminally wrong.

PBS version of elvutionary propaganda?

But it's out of date since the earth never had a reducing atmosphere as assumed by Urey Miller (and Star Trek)

https://astrobiology.nasa.gov/news/earths-early-atmosphere-an-update/

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Isn't it interesting, the same people who scream about separation of church and state like to fund PBS to push religious evolutionary ideas on kids. And that without a balancing rebuttal. Imagine my surprise.
Nothing religious in the video. The problem for you is that there is no "balancing rebuttal". Creation "scientists" tend to be too cowardly to form a rebuttal .

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Nothing religious in the video. The problem for you is that there is no "balancing rebuttal". Creation "scientists" tend to be too cowardly to form a rebuttal .

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
One of many problems with the Urey Miller experiment is it assumes a reducing atmosphere.

There is no evidence that the earth ever had a reducing atmosphere according to NASA
However a primordial problem is that miller generated mostly poisonous materials and the chemicals made were not stable and also random handedness where life is highly left or right handed.

A rescue device is having life form of life formed in a slushy comet! Some evolutionists realized the hopelessness of the Urey Miller conclusion and gave that up in favor of life elsewhere. Some such as Crick even said life is so complex it was seeded by the aliens but can't answer the question where the aliens come from.

Not to mention entropy. Information cannot arise spontaneously. Information runs down but with a creator 'in the beginning was information' Creation explains that.
Wrong on several points. Yes, the original experiment assumed an extremely reducing atmosphere. But by the time life arose it was probably less reducing. One similar to the bases that we observe from volcanoes today. Miller-Urey was probably in error for that. So guess what scientists did? They reran the experiment and it still produced amino acids.

And no, the creation myth explains nothing and has been refuted.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Skwim

Veteran Member
Don't know what "religious evolutionary ideas" are, but perhaps they realize that the only known rebuttal is that of creationist whose contentions are grounded in faith and not science, and because the program is centered on science, faith doesn't bring any balance whatsoever to the issue. If you want to box in the boxing tournament you don't bring track shoes to the contest.

Last edited:

Jose Fly

Fisker of men

It's pretty satisfying to me that now, creationists have generally retreated to arguing about the origin of the universe and origin of life, and not much else. That's quite a bit of progress from when I first started in these debates. :)

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
happy0195.gif

What was that? Science for 7 year olds? It might convince a 7 year old....
Gotta love it.....when Deeje comes across science material for laypeople she waves it away as too simplistic and childish, and when she comes across science material for professionals she waves it away too technical and laden with "technobabble" (and accuses the scientists of using jargon to deliberately confuse the public).

Gee, it's almost like she just looks for any excuse she can think of to make inconvenient information go away. Now why would Deeje do that? :rolleyes:

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's pretty satisfying to me that now, creationists have generally retreated to arguing about the origin of the universe and origin of life, and not much else. That's quite a bit of progress from when I first started in these debates. :)
'Tis indeed.