• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did chickens come from?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Science | AAAS

Southeast Asia appears to be the winner due to recent DNA studies, though there were several possible sources of Jungle fowl that could have led to modern chickens. It also appears that they were lured into captivity by rice. After they were domesticated in southeast Asia they followed the domestication of rice and then other grains throughout the Old World.

We Never Know

No Slack
Science | AAAS

Southeast Asia appears to be the winner due to recent DNA studies, though there were several possible sources of Jungle fowl that could have led to modern chickens. It also appears that they were lured into captivity by rice. After they were domesticated in southeast Asia they followed the domestication of rice and then other grains throughout the Old World.

What is a chicken egg?
1. An egg laid by a chicken?
2. An egg containing a chicken?

Did a non-chicken lay a chicken egg?(from being laid by a non-chicken to being hatched as a chicken is pretty fast evolution).

Or????

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What is a chicken egg?

Did a non-chicken lay a chicken egg?(from being laid by a non-chicken to being hatched as a chicken is pretty fast evolution).

Or????
Nature does not care about the names that we give to various species. If you go back far enough the ancestors of todays chickens would be unlikely to be called chickens by anyone. But since what is or is not a chicken is largely a matter of opinion there will never be one clear "first chicken".

For example I would have no problem calling the following a "chicken":

_20220606_on_chickens_gettyimages-1369617311.jpg

Sorry, but you will need to click on "Reply" to see the bird.

We Never Know

No Slack
Nature does not care about the names that we give to various species. If you go back far enough the ancestors of todays chickens would be unlikely to be called chickens by anyone. But since what is or is not a chicken is largely a matter of opinion there will never be one clear "first chicken".

For example I would have no problem calling the following a "chicken":

_20220606_on_chickens_gettyimages-1369617311.jpg

There is no good answer. Same as there is no answer to when a human became a human.

Was a human born by a non-human and evolved to be human after their birth and then started having more humans?(again fast evolution)
Or
We just really dont know.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Science | AAAS

Green Jungle Fowl or Red Jungle Fowl?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Red, definitely red. Did you see the picture?

Here is the older article that tells how they determined it was that boid.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.368.6498.1411

The article that I linked was more on how that species was domesticated.

Neither link will load for me, keep timing out.

But I've looked into this in the past, domestic chooks contain genetic material from the Red and Green Junglefowl as well as the Grey and Sri Lankan Junglefowl.

Audie

Veteran Member
There is no good answer. Same as there is no answer to when a human became a human.

Was a human born by a non-human and evolved to be human after their birth and then started having more humans?(again fast evolution)
Or
We just really dont know.

There is a good simple obvious answer.

You can answer it by asking yourself
about the first Rhode Island Red chicken.

Stonetree

Model Member
Premium Member
What is a chicken egg?

Or????
aha......the old chicken gambit..........the 'uncaused chicken'

We Never Know

No Slack
aha......the old chicken gambit..........the 'uncaused chicken'

Not at all. Over thousands/millions of generations a non-chicken slowly became a chicken. There is no point that can be shown to when a non-chicken became a chicken.

Same as there is no point that can be shown to when a non-human became a human.