• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did Cain get his wife?

rusra02

Premium Member
Skeptics often raise this question as if to stump someone who believes the Bible. I believe the Bible gives the answer but am interested in what others think about this question.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Skeptics often raise this question as if to stump someone who believes the Bible. I believe the Bible gives the answer but am interested in what others think about this question.

Yeah. Then he went off to join the masses. Where'd they all come from?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
No where in the Bible does it say that Adam was the first and/or only man. According to the Scriptures there were men, and presumedly women, created before the Garden of Eden existed.

averageJOE

zombie
No where in the Bible does it say that Adam was the first and/or only man. According to the Scriptures there were men, and presumedly women, created before the Garden of Eden existed.

This.

Genesis Chapter 1 verse 27: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

So, there were a bunch of people running around...then later...

Genesis Chapter 2 verse 7: And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Genesis Chapter 2 verse 22: And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

According to the story Cain's wife was the offspring of the people god created before Adam and Eve.

Boring.

greentwiga

This.

Genesis Chapter 1 verse 27: So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

So, there were a bunch of people running around...then later...

Genesis Chapter 2 verse 7: And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Genesis Chapter 2 verse 22: And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

According to the story Cain's wife was the offspring of the people god created before Adam and Eve.

Boring.

Don't forget Gen 2:4 It indicates there were generation from the people of Gen 1 and
Adam and Eve of Gen 2. Also notice that in Gen 1, Adam means male and female but in Gen2 2, Adam means the man only, not the woman.

rusra02

Premium Member

I have not found that in the Bible. Texts such as Acts 17:26 and 1Corinthians 15:45 and others indicate to me that Adam was the first and only man created by God.

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity

So what made Adam and Eve special that they got to live in the Garden of Eden and everyone else got to live...wherever else they lived?

FranklinMichaelV.3

So what made Adam and Eve special that they got to live in the Garden of Eden and everyone else got to live...wherever else they lived?

Yup and everyone ended up screwed because of Adam and Eve...kinda like Pandora's box. There were plenty of humans around before Pandora was made, but she went and opened that box, and well...the rest is history.

rusra02

Premium Member
Genesis 1

Man and Woman Created on the Same Day

Genesis 2

Adam Created and then Eve created.

IMO, Genesis 1 and 2 are accounts of the same events, chapter 2 presenting details not mentioned in chapter 1. I don't believe chapter one says Adam and Eve were created in the same 24-hour day.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

If you ever get the time or opportunity read the account of Adam and Eve in The Urantia Book. It gives a whole new perspective on the issue which makes sense, considering.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
In order to answer this question we have to determine something:
1. Is the creation story a literal story or a symbolic story?

If it's a literal story, we would have to assume that Cain married his sister.

If it's a symbolic story, which I believe it to be, then we can make any kind of assumption we want as to whom Cain represented and what the purpose of the story was.

Of course, I've heard some rather "out there" stories about Cain. I heard one person say that Cain married an ape.

roger1440

I do stuff
In order to answer this question we have to determine something:
1. Is the creation story a literal story or a symbolic story?

If it's a literal story, we would have to assume that Cain married his sister.

If it's a symbolic story, which I believe it to be, then we can make any kind of assumption we want as to whom Cain represented and what the purpose of the story was.

Of course, I've heard some rather "out there" stories about Cain. I heard one person say that Cain married an ape.
I can believe that. Have you ever met my ex?

averageJOE

zombie
I have not found that in the Bible. Texts such as Acts 17:26 and 1Corinthians 15:45 and others indicate to me that Adam was the first and only man created by God.
No. The story clearly states that the earth was full of people by the time Adam and Eve came along.