• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where did all the Creationist environmentalists go?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's Jack Miner's birthday!

I was reminded of the fact that Miner, "the father of the North American environmental conservation movement," wasn't just a devout Christian; he was also an ardent Creationist.

However, his Creationism wasn't just a rejection of evolution; it was also an acknowledgment of responsibility: he deeply believed that God had entrusted humanity with the duty of stewardship over nature, and that disrespect of nature amounted to a disrespect of this sacred trust, and of God:

Miner's conservation ethic was unique in the sense that it was informed by both his Christian religious beliefs and his own biological observations. Miner's faith played a central role in shaping his ideas about conservation and more generally, the natural world, by working out of a creationist foundation. In a posthumously published article, Miner explicitly rejects evolutionary biology, ascribing to a literal interpretation of Biblical scripture.[8] Drawing from Christian scripture, Miner came to form a worldview situating humans as holding dominion over the natural world. Indeed, his son Manly Miner describes the core belief of his father's environmental philosophy as being that "God put birds and animals here for man's use and for man to control." [9] In this sense, for Miner, humans were charged with playing an active and protective role in conservation and ecological preservation.
Jack Miner - Wikipedia

So... creationists of today: where did this Creationist ethic disappear to? Why did Creationism just become about school science curricula?

How does the idea that drove Jack Miner - that we've all been entrusted by God with a sacred duty of stewardship over His creation - inform your actions today?

Where are all the Creationist environmentalists today? There used to be lots.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I love that, it seems they had a use but lost that skill. 'tiz strange.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian

I was reminded of the fact that Miner, "the father of the North American environmental conservation movement," wasn't just a devout Christian; he was also an ardent Creationist.

However, his Creationism wasn't just a rejection of evolution; it was also an acknowledgment of responsibility: he deeply believed that God had entrusted humanity with the duty of stewardship over nature, and that disrespect of nature amounted to a disrespect of this sacred trust, and of God:

Jack Miner - Wikipedia

So... creationists of today: where did this Creationist ethic disappear to? Why did Creationism just become about school science curricula?

How does the idea that drove Jack Miner - that we've all been entrusted by God with a sacred duty of stewardship over His creation - inform your actions today?

Perhaps, many Creationists have finally realized there is no way for anybody to really know the precise nature of whomever or whatever created our genetic coding. ...Right?

For the sake of argument, our genetic code's creator were interested in the propagation of our genetic coding; this goal would not be limited to what only happens here on Earth, but this goal might be expanded to what happens overall throughout our entire universe.

Last edited:

sooda

Veteran Member

Jack Miner - Wikipedia

I would guess they think the end is near so why bother.

sooda

Veteran Member

Jack Miner - Wikipedia

Conservatives used to be conservationists....

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Actually the expectation of the "End of the World, or the "Resurrection of the Faithful taken up in the clouds," and other apocalyptic scenarios. many think; 'Why bother with the environment?'

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Actually the expectation of the "End of the World, or the "Resurrection of the Faith full taken up in the clouds," and other apocalyptic scenarios. many think; 'Why bother with the environment?'
And THAT I think we can consider to be at least one very dangerous outcome of religious thought.

Jumi

They exist, but they're just not as loud as the other kind. The ones I've heard of are mostly keeping to their own business tending to their farms or engaging in nature conservation instead of debates. You might find one if you buy something from an organic farm for instance. I've heard their arguments before, but because it's on a farm and not relegating to robots, they basically live for the farm with not much free time.