• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where Can Believers Go

rocala

Some years ago, when I first felt the need for a spiritual path, I followed the usual western route of a 'creator god'. It never really led anywhere and Buddhism plus Modern Druidry has kept me pretty satisfied to date.

However I am fully aware that many people would not have chosen my route. What is there for people who "find God" but choose not to make the huge leap to the Abrahamic or other teachings?

I cannot believe I am the only one to have felt this way. Yet there seems to be little on offer.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Some years ago, when I first felt the need for a spiritual path, I followed the usual western route of a 'creator god'. It never really led anywhere and Buddhism plus Modern Druidry has kept me pretty satisfied to date.
Buddhism and Druidry isn´t the worst choice at all as both is founded on natural rhythms of nature and circle of life. The Abrahamic dogmatism is mostly nonsense and very dualistic.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

However I am fully aware that many people would not have chosen my route. What is there for people who "find God" but choose not to make the huge leap to the Abrahamic or other teachings?

I cannot believe I am the only one to have felt this way. Yet there seems to be little on offer.
Maybe you should start asking why you are even looking. ;O)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The best suggestion I have is UU, Unitarian Universalist.

Congregations tend to be small and varied. But they also tend to be very inclusive. The tendency is for UU's to view other people's theological world view as an interesting feature of a person, rather than a defining characteristic.
Tom

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member

Quaker is an idea for you, but how you go with the Quakers depends on if you're willing to commit to pacifism. If not then you may still be a permanent visitor to a Quaker meeting. Just be polite.

UU is another idea, but with UU you are expected to believe in a hereafter and possibly in God and in the supernatural. You will be welcome anyway, but you won't be a tight fit.

Unity is also similar to UU, but with Unity you should believe in both the hereafter, God, miracles and in prayer. Without you'd still be welcome to all functions, but you wouldn't be a tight fit.

There are various churches that will have you. Usually a good indicator will be a rainbow sticker on the door, but there is probably not a database. Its word of mouth usually.

Barring this you could try for something less religious in nature, such as toastmasters.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What is there for people who "find God" but choose not to make the huge leap to the Abrahamic or other teachings?

More and more at least in the West, people are rejecting religions, especially dogma. It seems to me that what's important is to try to live up to our best understanding of the fundamental principles of truth and love and to learn from our mistakes and failures.

I can be fully occupied with trying to be honest with myself and others and to think, speak and act according to love. Of course, my failures are almost continuous but the "game" is engrossing.