• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where are Trump's financial data and tax returns?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It does seem weak to use an audit as the reason to withhold returns.
What makes it appear to be a mere excuse is that he offers no
reasoning behind the audit's significance.
It is not just weak. It was a lie.
Trump said he would release them before the election.
At this point, the election is effectively over. Donna Brazile is warming up backstage for her singing debut.
Trumps unwillingness to keep that promise is part of the reason. But I don't think he will even keep it now, since it won't help him win. He simply seems unable to distinguish between truth and what he prefers to believe.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is when the IRS is saying there is nothing about an audit preventing him from doing so.

It needn't be about an IRS prohibition.
(There obviously isn't one.)
I read it as something else....but what?
Trump pretty much forfeited such things when he demanded Romney release his tax records.
Why?
It seems just ordinary hypocrisy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is not just weak. It was a lie.
Trump said he would release them before the election.
How do you know he intended to deceive, when it's possible that there's another reason.
And if lying is a problem, that would disqualify Hillary too.
It seems the real issue is that people expect releasing one's returns, & he refused.
It is what it is.
At this point, the election is effectively over. Donna Brazile is warming up backstage for her singing debut.
Trumps unwillingness to keep that promise is part of the reason. But I don't think he will even keep it now, since it won't help him win. He simply seems unable to distinguish between truth and what he prefers to believe.
Tom
Does anyone really base their vote upon his releasing his tax returns?
The only ones I see calling for this are Hillary supporters.
Why do they want to see them?
Looking for more ammunition I expect.
All drama & no substance there.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because he said he would then he didn't, and lied about why he hadn't.
Tom
You don't know he lied.
But we do know we didn't keep his word.
Is that not damning enuf for you?
Tis better to rely upon what we know, than to treat speculation as knowledge.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You don't know he lied.
But we do know we didn't keep his word.
Is that not damning enuf for you?
Tis better to rely upon what we know, than to treat speculation as knowledge.
What is the difference between saying something demonstrably untrue on the national stage in order to garner support and lying?
There isn't any.
IMHO

Trump is the biggest liar to reach this level of USA politics since the Founding Fathers promised freedom, except for women and black people.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What is the difference between saying something demonstrably untrue on the national stage in order to garner support and lying?
There isn't any.
IMHO
Trump is the biggest liar to reach this level of USA politics since the Founding Fathers promised freedom, except for women and black people.
Tom
You just don't know if he changed his mind about releasing them or if he intended all along to deceive.
To treat this is fact is an act of faith.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
How do you know he intended to deceive, when it's possible that there's another reason.
And if lying is a problem, that would disqualify Hillary too.
It seems the real issue is that people expect releasing one's returns, & he refused.
It is what it is.

Does anyone really base their vote upon his releasing his tax returns?
The only ones I see calling for this are Hillary supporters.
Why do they want to see them?
Looking for more ammunition I expect.
All drama & no substance there.
I think they want to see them for the same reason they want to know so much about the Clinton Foundation and it's global ties. Trump says he has business dealings all over the world. It seems to me that the people who are interested in knowing what global powers the Clinton Foundation has financial ties with would also be interested in knowing what global powers Trump is connected to and what potential conflicts of interest may arise.

No?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think they want to see them for the same reason they want to know so much about the Clinton Foundation and it's global ties. Trump says he has business dealings all over the world. It seems to me that the people who are interested in knowing what global powers the Clinton Foundation has financial ties with would also be interested in knowing what global powers Trump is connected to and what potential conflicts of interest may arise.

No?
I agree they want to know.
But I doubt a federal tax return would show the detail they want.
I know that my own return wouldn't show.....
- Who my partners are in various dealings
- My equity in investments
- Who my customers are

idav

Being
Premium Member
I think of this as similar to why we don't actually deserve to know or need to know what is being revealed by Wilileaks about Hillary.
I get that but releasing taxes became a tradition because of Nixon. In that Americans deserve to know if their president is "a crook". The whole thing with wikileaks being similar to the intentions of the watergate scandal(trying to find stuff on an opponent) is an interesting coincidence considering Nixons view on releasing taxes during his audit and later revealed tax issues. Though I'm sure if we just ask Trump he will say he is not a crook and we should just take his word for it?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You'd be amazed at some of the things statisticians sniff out and can dig up.
A statistician cannot look at a single tax return to glean information which isn't presented.
Have you ever examined the return of a real estate investor & developer?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A statistician cannot look at a single tax return to glean information which isn't presented.
Have you ever examined the return of a real estate investor & developer?
You'd be surprised at what all a "math nerd" can figure out with just a few numbers. No, they probably couldn't figure out everything, but they could certainly tell if there is anything suspicious, deduce what it may be, and depending on the dates, probably even some specific names. They could probably even paint a "typical day" for how Trump did for those years. You don't always need information on a single paper to figure things out.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You'd be surprised at what all a "math nerd" can figure out with just a few numbers. No, they probably couldn't figure out everything, but they could certainly tell if there is anything suspicious, deduce what it may be, and depending on the dates, probably even some specific names. They could probably even paint a "typical day" for how Trump did for those years. You don't always need information on a single paper to figure things out.
What would you glean from a K1, 1098, 1099, Schedule E, etc about his typical day?

Sonofason

Here is how we're going to.

Clinton wins the election. The Senate turns off Democrat. The Congress gets much more blue.

Clinton and her allies in Congress fight for the middle class. The GOP implodes. They all blame each for trusting Trump.

And everybody lives happily ever after, except the most rapacious 1%ers and the lobbyists.

And Trump.
Tom
Please wake up...you're dreaming.