• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where are the rights of the agnostic?

Fragmentia

Angry and Apathetic
I've found, particularly over the past few years, North America in general has become a bit more prudent about not stamping on religious belief in individuals. For example, in Montreal, I worked with several Muslims who were given completely different schedules to compensate for alloted prayer time. Religious holidays have become more flexible (read: more than just Christian holidays are now included on most calendars). Even grade-school children (who I am convinced are the least understanding and accepting of all humans, but that could be slightly biased) are seemingly more aware of the differences between their classmates. (Children no longer pass out when told that some people don't celebrate Christmas.)
I was wondering if anyone felt that agnostics have limited social rights regarding their choice to be agnostic? I realize it sounds like a bit of a funny statement, but I'm sure most of us have witnessed someone being harassed about not having a designated religion. It makes their religious peers nervous, I think.
Perhaps it is the role of the agnostic, abstaining from faith in itself, to also be left out of the posturing involved with multi-cultural societies.
I'm curious if anyone had thoughts on that. What personal/social rights should an agnostic be searching out?
:areyoucra

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am under that belief that no one should be harrassed for their beliefs. If you are an agnostic, then no one should be allowed to harrass you about that, just as I believe people who are religious should not be harrassed. We all have human rights. Everyone deserves to work or go to school in a nonhostile environment. While we can't make every one like us or accept us, we can expect for people to treat us with respect.

Comet

Harvey Wallbanger
I've found, particularly over the past few years, North America in general has become a bit more prudent about not stamping on religious belief in individuals. For example, in Montreal, I worked with several Muslims who were given completely different schedules to compensate for alloted prayer time. Religious holidays have become more flexible (read: more than just Christian holidays are now included on most calendars). Even grade-school children (who I am convinced are the least understanding and accepting of all humans, but that could be slightly biased) are seemingly more aware of the differences between their classmates. (Children no longer pass out when told that some people don't celebrate Christmas.)
I was wondering if anyone felt that agnostics have limited social rights regarding their choice to be agnostic? I realize it sounds like a bit of a funny statement, but I'm sure most of us have witnessed someone being harassed about not having a designated religion. It makes their religious peers nervous, I think.
Perhaps it is the role of the agnostic, abstaining from faith in itself, to also be left out of the posturing involved with multi-cultural societies.
I'm curious if anyone had thoughts on that. What personal/social rights should an agnostic be searching out?

Hmmm... Interesting (given the context indeed).

I think an agnostic has just as much the right to be so as anybody else has the right to be what they are. If a religious person has the right to their faith and atheist the right to have faith in "no faith" (to simplify)..... then an agnostic has the right to question and to have faith that they don't know.

What should an agnostic search out? What ever their heart desires.... maybe there they will find the answers that we all seem to seek.

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
Its a religious world. Your rights will be whatever you can squeeze out of it. x

Aqualung

Tasty

I haven't noticed anything directed at agnostics. The majority of the people I've met are either agnostics or just don't care, so it's often a novelty to actually meet somebody who ascribes to a particular religion.

logician

Its a religious world. Your rights will be whatever you can squeeze out of it. x

Really, how so, I thought religion was a private matter, and that our forefathers went to some lengths to insure the same.