• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

where are the differences between Anti-theistic and Atheistic

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram Liis ji

excuse my keeping it short it is late , ...however I might come back to some points later ...

I guess it takes time for people to accept differences.

I have no problem in accepting anothers veiws , however I still question on what such veiws are based , ...

Maybe it is the open, honest admission that we think you should reconsider belief in deities that shock you out of proportion?

why should your veiw shock me ?

does my veiw shock you ?

Maybe you are indeed sure that all believers have something in common that we atheists or anti-theists literally can not understand or have not experienced.

not all but many , yes , ...yes I am sure !
I can however say with all honesty that I find such certainty exceedingly odd.

that is allright I wouldent expect you to understand , these are personal experiences .

Lack of experience is rarely an advantage, and hardly ever a qualification to judge others. I hope you don't think I implied otherwise.

not overtly ,

If that works for you, by all means go for it. But then I have to wonder, why does anti-theism trouble you at all? I still have little clue.
yes it works for me , and in that respect I went for it a long time ago , Antitheism as a veiw dosent trouble me personaly , but it does have effects these effects trouble me , ...again not in a personal way but because I see it trouble others and I see it attempting to undermine Theism .

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Indeed, and that is true for both sides. To be anti-theist does not necessitate fighting anyone any more than being theist does.
To be an anti-theist is by definition to be against theism. This is the point I am trying to get across.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Please show how proselytizing must be, by definition, anti-atheist. Explain your reasoning.

Well because it is an activity directed towards reducing the incidence of atheism.

Proselytizing is by definition acting against disbelief.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Well because it is an activity directed towards reducing the incidence of atheism.
You have not proven this statement. You need to show some actual evidence that all proselytization has a primary goal of reducing atheism.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Please show how proselytizing must be, by definition, anti-atheist. Explain your reasoning.

Apex, are you seriously stating that you don't see why calls to accept the Bible (or the Quraan or the Book of Mormon) and their messages that demand belief in the existence of God should not be considered anti-atheistic?

If so, then please tell me which line would they have to cross to be anti-atheistic?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have no problem in accepting anothers veiws , however I still question on what such veiws are based , ...

Atheism is based on disbelief of god's existence, and anti-theism on the belief that people would be better off not believin in deities.

It is really that simple.

why should your veiw shock me ?

It really should not. But your testimonial suggests that nevertheless it does. I'm trying to understand why.

does my veiw shock you ?

I would not call it shocking me. It does disappoint me slightly, though, and puzzles me somewhat more.

not all but many , yes , ...yes I am sure !

I guess we will have to agree to disagree then. I am personally certain that belief in God is both one of the least telling traits of people and one of the least indicative of general morality and character.

that is allright I wouldent expect you to understand , these are personal experiences .

I thought one of the main goals of yours while creating this thread was to enable us to understand at least a bit?

not overtly ,

It is very odd that you think so at all. Lack of experience is not at all an advantage, except perhaps that it may somewhat spare people from certain biases and conditionings.

yes it works for me , and in that respect I went for it a long time ago ,

Fair enough.

Antitheism as a veiw dosent trouble me personaly , but it does have effects these effects trouble me ,

I feel a bit frustrated because try as I may, I can't really understand how that may possibly happen.

...again not in a personal way but because I see it trouble others and I see it attempting to undermine Theism .

Of course anti-theism attempts to undermine theism. That is the whole point. :)

Much as, say, Advaita attempts to undermine dualism, or Karma Yoga attempts to undermine bad behavior.

Why anyone would see that as a problem I just don't know.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Ratikala, maybe you feel that it is is some sense, for whatever reason wrong to actively discourage people from believing in God?

Perhaps because, sight unseen, you would expect belief in God to have a better chance to be helpful and constructive than its absence?

If so, then it seems to me that you have a call or two to make.

How certain and how strongly to you feel about that, and how does that certainty compare to your desire to respect the anti-theists' own judgements?

Because far as I can see, there is no helping that. Opposing anti-theism or even just disapproving of it involves deciding that your feelings on the matter are more informed or more important than our own choices of opposing theism.

It does not have to be a big deal, but it is a direct opposition that can't be reconciled except perhaps by one or both sides deciding that it is not worth the trouble to keep caring about the matter.

arthra

Baha'i
I was thinking that atheism is simply not believing in God... while anti-theism would be more of an aggressive attack of belief in God... that could mean a militant and systematic attack on religion and could have various forms.

I had some Hindu friends some years ago and we were quite close.. I recall a discussion we had about the term "Gnostic". A Gnostic is someone who knows...It could be a knower of say spiritual truth but in Sanskrit there is a term a good deal like Gnostic... The term is "Nastik" and means someone who rejects belief in God.or in this case of Hinduism rejects the Vedas and the Devas.

Eventually we got the terms straightened out..but it was interesting!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I was thinking that atheism is simply not believing in God... while anti-theism would be more of an aggressive attack of belief in God... that could mean a militant and systematic attack on religion and could have various forms.

That seems extreme to the point of dishonor. How would you call someone who makes a point of mentioning, say, about once a week that he thinks everyone would be better off letting go of belief in God? Is that anti-theism?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes we do indeed have souls. They just don't fly off when we die. They die along with the Anti-theist or unless the Global Anti-Theistic Society of Earth decides to keep us on life support :D
I have seen in films that only the evil souls of vampires and demons die with their death. As an non-superstitious atheist, I do not believe in existence of souls. How come an anti-theist like you believes in them?