• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When You've Been Wrong

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I was wrong about creationism, wrong about homosexuality, wrong about Sons of God/Manifestations/Messengers etc.

I found out all of this through reasoned debate.

Hoping to learn more as time goes by.

In my opinion.
That sounds like a tough experience. I suggest that maybe it wasn't simply the debate but your attitude and something unique about you which allowed you to benefit from debate.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Have you ever been wrong before?

Especially when it comes to your political or religious ideas, what have you been wrong about? How did you find out?

Do you expect you're wrong about anything you believe now? Or will discover you're wrong again the future?
I've no doubt been wrong about so many things, and if I haven't learnt from such, and often amended my views, then I'm still the duffer I probably was then. As to politics or religion - nothing much has changed over the course of my life - with the former almost certainly never to change and the latter I'll find our when I die - or I won't. :oops:

I'm no doubt wrong about many things. I just hope most others realise the same could be said about them too. :oops:

MikeF

Premium Member

Especially when it comes to your political or religious ideas, what have you been wrong about? How did you find out?

Do you expect you're wrong about anything you believe now? Or will discover you're wrong again the future?

I wish there was a way for me to quickly realize and get past what I'm currently wrong about. Simply telling me I'm wrong doesn't seem to work. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I don't know. Perhaps I was right, but thought I was wrong, or perhaps I was wrong and thought I was right. Again, I don't believe that personal views are necessarily wrong or right. They're more on a range.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don't know. Perhaps I was right, but thought I was wrong, or perhaps I was wrong and thought I was right. Again, I don't believe that personal views are necessarily wrong or right. They're more on a range.

It depends. Right and wrong are dependent on brains in one sense, but not all of the world is in practice dependent on the brain(s).
Thus sometimes some people will claim something is independent of the brain(s), when it is not.
The standard one is to say to another human: You are wrong.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

If i'm growing, I should be testing my beliefs in the waters of reality. so yes, my beliefs could very much be wrong.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never been wrong.

Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken. :)

Like @Heyo, I was rooting for MOND before the Bullet cluster data came out.

I remember having a debate with a friend back in junior high school about whether digital or analog computers would win out. I supported analog.

I also thought Trump could be ignored as a joke. Then the election of 202 happened.

I thought people would see through Reagan's grandfatherly figure and see how bad his policies were. Then the election of 1984 happened.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If you ask my wife of 55 years, her question would be have I ever been right? :emojconfused:

Of course. I do my best to keep an open mind as that's what I was trained to do within science, and then go in the direction that the evidence takes me.

The advantage of being in my "vintage" is that my life expectancy is probably short enough whereas I may not find out if I'm wrong again. :shrug:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
But it did provide me with some good teachable moments and I think it’s important to be humbled every so often. It keeps us honest, imo

Agreed! It's wise to stay humble and honest about our own views. Being wrong helps us learn that lesson, although it's painful. :grimacing:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Agreed! It's wise to stay humble and honest about our own views. Being wrong helps us learn that lesson, although it's painful. :grimacing:

A note about being wrong as connected to cognitive dissonance and thus logical contradictions. With training sometimes all I experience when with Piaget I adjust an old schemata to a new one, is a slight feeling of being off.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I thought I was wrong once.
Turned out that I was actually right.
So I was wrong about being wrong.

BTW, many years ago, I once thought
that the country could become libertarian.
(Then reality became clearer.) I'm still one
of those, but I ditched that illusion.