• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When your job conflicts with your values, what do you do?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
One of the great things religion does for many people is provide a framework to articulate deeply-held values. Holding to these values helps us stay true to ourselves, and being true to ourselves is associated with personal happiness and well-being. We love to do what we love; we hate doing that which we hate.

We're not always able to behave in accord with our values, whether we consider those values religiously derived or not. Others may press upon us to act against what we believe. This can happen sometimes in the workplace, when a supervisor or job responsibility demands you do one thing, but your values compel you to do another. When these conflicts arise, what do you do? How do you manage conflicts between your deeply-held values (religious or otherwise) and responsibilities of your job?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Many years ago I know a guy who was converting but was in an used-car sales job whereas he and the others were being pushed to sell what they knew were some seriously defective cars. The advice he was given by us was to try and find another job as soon as possible that didn't comprise his conscience, he did, and he ended up in a much better place.

If one cannot live with themselves, whom can they live with?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
One of the great things religion does for many people is provide a framework to articulate deeply-held values. Holding to these values helps us stay true to ourselves, and being true to ourselves is associated with personal happiness and well-being. We love to do what we love; we hate doing that which we hate.

We're not always able to behave in accord with our values, whether we consider those values religiously derived or not. Others may press upon us to act against what we believe. This can happen sometimes in the workplace, when a supervisor or job responsibility demands you do one thing, but your values compel you to do another. When these conflicts arise, what do you do? How do you manage conflicts between your deeply-held values (religious or otherwise) and responsibilities of your job?
It's happened to me twice; both times, I quit.

...Though both times, I could afford to quit. The first time, I lined up another job right away and the second time, I had enough money in the bank that I knew I could afford to be unemployed for a while. It would have been a tougher decision if quitting meant potentially losing my home or going hungry.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

I've only really had this happen once, but I fought for my values (against the president of the company) and eventually won out. I felt that he had a policy in place that was unethical, and I didn't let up on trying to change it until he gave in. I was in IT and had to develop an application that involved some questionable practices. I did as I was told, until the policy changed, but eventually got him to concede.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
How do you manage conflicts between your deeply-held values (religious or otherwise) and responsibilities of your job?

There are times I don't agree with the decisions of the company but I feel an obligation to do the work the company requests of me. If I felt strongly enough about an issue I'll refuse. If the company insists, I'll offer my resignation. In the few cases when this has happened, my company has backed down.

If it's just something I feel uncomfortable about, I'll voice my opposition, if my superior insists then I make them put it in writing that the choice of action is their decision. This also often negates the request.

Otherwise I have documented that I express my reasons for objecting to the decision along with my superior taking responsibility for the action anyway.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I work in independent resident apartments where seniors and people with disabilities pay part of the rent and expenses while having some freedom to do their thing. Each apartment has a pull cord and the building has four floors elevetors on either side.

If someone pulls the cord, a ringer goes off. I saw a resident on her back screaming and I couldnt help her. 911 took almost thirty mins to show up. If I went with my values, Id help her but then it not only cost her life since I dont know what was wrong with her. It also was a company liability, legal issues with resident and family members, and Id loose my job immediatly. Same as someone stuck in the elevator.

The same woman came a couple of days later and thanked me profoundly. The best I can balance the situation is find out the most I can about why this and what about that; know the rules inside and out. The more information I know, the better I can make informed decisions for the benefit of other people not just myself; its a catch 22 value The Buddha emphasised. Works well.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

...Though both times, I could afford to quit. The first time, I lined up another job right away and the second time, I had enough money in the bank that I knew I could afford to be unemployed for a while. It would have been a tougher decision if quitting meant potentially losing my home or going hungry.

Similar enough to me. Multiple times I've made stands I thought might cause me problems (but didn't) and once I outright quit a well-paid job over how someone else was treated.

But I knew I'd be able to pick up something straight away, even if I wasn't sure exactly what.

Jumi

Depends how far my values are pushed. Up to a point, working a job you often have to do what you're told. As long as certain lines drawn in the sand aren't crossed, such as hurting nature or people, it's not something unavoidable to do things you hate doing.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@Quintessence There are so many things that can create conscience issues for a Christian on the job. e.g. Working in a store that sells tobacco products or handguns and ammunition. Both can be lethal in their own way or pose a danger to others. Can a Bible trained conscience allow a Christian to sell those things to people?

What about lying for the boss? "Tell them I'm not in." Or tell them some other lie to cover for him/her? If the boss knows that you won't lie for them, they can be confident that you won't lie to them.
Honesty is becoming a rare commodity in today's world.

What about being employed in a job that requires you to carry a gun? You are even trained to use it on human beings, yet the Bible teaches that we cannot take a human life and that we must love our enemies...how do you reconcile the job and a Christian's obligation to follow the teachings of Christ?

What if your job requires you to work long hours so that your family hardly ever see you? If you are a Christian spouse, father or mother, your first obligation is to your family, not just financially, but by your physical presence in their lives. You cannot be a stranger to them and still fulfill your spiritual obligations to them.

For us, (JW's) the impact of any employment is weighed very carefully against those obligations. Putting God first always works out for the best outcome and no troubled conscience.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll confess that this thread is inspired by some recent political actions that happened today in the United States. It got me thinking about religion-work conflicts, and how torn I sometimes feel about how we as a society should handle that. It's difficult sometimes to manage expectations placed on us by others and those that we wish to hold ourselves to. It gets even more complicated when someone else's welfare may be on the line based on our decisions.

For a more personal tale, when I was having a rough time getting employed in the area that would sing to my religious values (aka, conservation/environment type jobs) I ended up taking temp jobs for the enemy. That enemy was corporate, industrial agriculture - a sector that is responsible for significant environmental degradation. As it turns out, corporate agriculture wasn't quite as bad as I believed it was. I learned a lot from the experience, and while there's still no doubt in my mind that their practices are bad for the land, they're not blind to the need for sustainability and preserving soil quality and water quality. The problem is the financial (dis)incentives in many respects.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Doesn't even have to moral values; personal values matter also. I wouldn't work for a septic cleaning service because I refuse to take a lot of crap from anybody.

Akivah

This can happen sometimes in the workplace, when a supervisor or job responsibility demands you do one thing, but your values compel you to do another. When these conflicts arise, what do you do? How do you manage conflicts between your deeply-held values (religious or otherwise) and responsibilities of your job?

I dealt with this when I had some clients that wanted me to commit fraud for them on their tax returns. I refused to do it and made them to do it properly; and for the other clients that wouldn't change their minds, I walked.

dfnj

I have very strong egalitarian values. Every job I've ever had only strengthens authoritarianism and wealth inequality in this country. But I need a paycheck to live. I really can't stand it the way things are. But my rationale is if they are going to pay someone big bucks it might as well be a far leftist liberal.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I worked for a big bank while disagreeing with the existence of such gigantic corporations. But I was never personally asked to do something which I considered illegal or immoral. To me that is the dividing line. I am grateful I never had to confront doing anything illegal or immoral because I would have had to leave to retain my self-respect.

suncowiam

I'm reading from many that they "bit their tongues" while collecting a pay check.

If you were in conflict with your ideals for so long, then are those ideals really part of your core?

I mean, there's talking the talk but what about walking the walk?

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

At least you’re honest about it. Still, you did sacrifice by having to use your hard-earned, saved-up money. Good for you!

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
What about being employed in a job that requires you to carry a gun? You are even trained to use it on human beings, yet the Bible teaches that we cannot take a human life and that we must love our enemies...how do you reconcile the job and a Christian's obligation to follow the teachings of Christ?
Deeje, I’ve actually known two brothers who were police officers!

One was when I was involved in an accident....the State Trooper who arrived on the scene was a Witness. Really caught me off-guard, when he told me!

Neither of them had responsibilities in the Cong. at the time, though. Now one is retired, and is a MS.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

I’ve lost 4 jobs, due to conflicts with my convictions.
I quit 3, and was “let go” from the other. Got through it....still livin.

Akivah

I'm reading from many that they "bit their tongues" while collecting a pay check.

If you were in conflict with your ideals for so long, then are those ideals really part of your core?

I mean, there's talking the talk but what about walking the walk?

When you have dependents whose livelihood depend on your pay, there are other considerations than your principles. And there are other options than just immediately leaving. You could mentally leave your job and start searching for new employment, you could build evidence against the offender and go the whistle blower route, you could request a transfer to different job duties within the same company, etc.