• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you...

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I think perhaps a universally accepting religion is in our future. One that don't divide people based on belief. One that accepts all of our differences no matter who we are. One that seeks the common good of all people. One that has personal character as a measuring stick. One that encompasses all virtues. And has a eternal spiritual foundation.

firedragon

Veteran Member
When you look at other religions then the one you follow your self ( if you follow one that is)

Are you focusing on finding fault in other religions to back your own belief? ( if yes, why?)
Or do you mostly search to find what good other religions may offer their followers?

Brother. There are many ways to look at your own religion, and of course other religions.

Many of us would go on and say that we look at other religions not to look for faults but to analyse but most of us are bias. So though I dont want to say we are lying to ourselves, but if we truly think that we are lying to ourselves by saying we are only analysing genuinely and neutrally we will actually try to be genuine and neutral.

When there's a religion there are mainly three aspects to consider.

1. Sociology of religion.
2. Bottom-up linguistics based on the classical language of the scripture.
3. The institution built by not the main man, but his consequent followers.

We tend to think religion is one institution and that's the only thing we have to analyse. We could not be further from the truth. Religion is mainly these three aspects and all should be considered if one is to take an analytical approach.

Of course, there are many other things to study and consider but those are predominantly from a historical approach.

So bottomline is, if you think to yourself that you could be lying to yourself if you think that you are being completely neutral in approaching someone else's religion as I pointed out above, then you will make a hard attempt to be neutral.

Hope you understand.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I look at the People. And the people are always good, kind...no matter what religion they follow.:)

Every religion has their own good snd bad.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Brother. There are many ways to look at your own religion, and of course other religions.

Many of us would go on and say that we look at other religions not to look for faults but to analyse but most of us are bias. So though I dont want to say we are lying to ourselves, but if we truly think that we are lying to ourselves by saying we are only analysing genuinely and neutrally we will actually try to be genuine and neutral.

When there's a religion there are mainly three aspects to consider.

1. Sociology of religion.
2. Bottom-up linguistics based on the classical language of the scripture.
3. The institution built by not the main man, but his consequent followers.

We tend to think religion is one institution and that's the only thing we have to analyse. We could not be further from the truth. Religion is mainly these three aspects and all should be considered if one is to take an analytical approach.

Of course, there are many other things to study and consider but those are predominantly from a historical approach.

So bottomline is, if you think to yourself that you could be lying to yourself if you think that you are being completely neutral in approaching someone else's religion as I pointed out above, then you will make a hard attempt to be neutral.

Hope you understand.
Yes i do agree with you.

But why do people attack religions they them self do not belong to?

Jedster

Yes i do agree with you.

But why do people attack religions they them self do not belong to?

If they are religious then the reason they attack is because they feel insecure in their own belief.
Some months ago, I was approached, on the street, by a street Bible preacher.
He started shouting at me after I politely told him that I'm not a Bible believer. He was yelling at me, cursing me to hell etc.
I said, why don't you behave like those people. I was pointing to a couple of JWs who were standing politely, only talking with people who approached them, some yards from we were.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If they are religious then the reason they attack is because they feel insecure in their own belief.
Some months ago, I was approached, on the street, by a street Bible preacher.
He started shouting at me after I politely told him that I'm not a Bible believer. He was yelling at me, cursing me to hell etc.
I said, why don't you behave like those people. I was pointing to a couple of JWs who were standing politely, only talking with people who approached them, some yards from we were.
I have met people like this too.
People even spit after my girlfriend and I when we are walking on the street, because she wear a hijab......

Jedster

I have met people like this too.
People even spit after my girlfriend and I when we are walking on the street, because she wear a hijab......
That is horrible.
Re: my post above
I should add that a while later, I was approached by another preacher(lots of preachers where I live :)) and as soon as I said I was not a believer, he was very cool and we started chatting about Jerusalem, where we had both spent time.
He also apologized for his friend's behaviour.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That is horrible.
Re: my post above
I should add that a while later, I was approached by another preacher(lots of preachers where I live :)) and as soon as I said I was not a believer, he was very cool and we started chatting about Jerusalem, where we had both spent time.
He also apologized for his friend's behaviour.
There are many good believers from all faiths :) and some black sheeps who say they are religioues but show by action that they are not

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Faults according to Allah
Yes there are those who do fault in Islam, just as there are hindu who do wrong deeds.
Allah word to a muslim is thectruth, but some muslims do not understand the meaning of those verses, so they make it in to extremism, even Allah say extremists do not belong as his servants

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
When you look at other religions then the one you follow your self ( if you follow one that is)

Are you focusing on finding fault in other religions to back your own belief? ( if yes, why?)

Its not fault finding exactly, but noting what their beliefs are, and comparing them to what the Bible teaches, I have a good idea if what they believe contradicts what I accept as the God given truth of scripture.

I believe that there is but one truth, and that "all roads do not lead to Rome".....just the opposite in fact.
From the Bible's view, Jesus said that there are just two roads and only one leads to everlasting life...the other leads to everlasting death. (Matthew 7:13-14)

When I encounter people who are walking the wrong road, I am under obligation to at least warn them of their destination, if they want to hear it....and even if they don't, I am still instructed to tell them of God's intentions regarding this Earth and its future, so that they can make their own choices about it.

They may be walking the wrong road because of following directions from another misguided traveler. Or they may not be aware of where it leads.....having that information, even if they don't want to hear it, at least gives them a chance to change direction.....if they want to.

I have heard it illustrated this way...
What if the road outside my home was a winding mountain road and a storm had washed away a part of the road just around a blind corner. It wasn't obvious to the traveler, but no one had yet put up a barrier to stop people plunging into a deep ravine to certain death. If I was a good Christian, would I be sitting on my porch, reading my Bible and feeling sorry for those people driving by, knowing that there was going to be a catastrophic end to their journey?.....or would I be down on that road waving my arms about and trying to warn them of what lay ahead? Those who didn't believe me and continued on that road would surely die, but it was their decision to continue....their lives would not be on my conscience if I had done all I could to warn them. Its not my job to force them off the road......its up to them if they want to keep going.

Or do you mostly search to find what good other religions may offer their followers?

I find a lot of good in the people, but not in the false beliefs that they entertain. It doesn't matter how "good" a person is at the end of the day.....there are many "good" people who are atheists and that is their right....to choose to live a life without God, for now. But as we all know, this life we have is fragile and temporary, so our choices are important. We live and die in this world and when our life is over, we have at least shown God who we are. He will then decide if we have a future.

It might surprise some people to learn that God never said he would save "good" people....he has stressed all along, that he is looking for "obedient" ones to populate his Earth and to follow his instructions regarding its care and maintenance. We only have to look at man's impact on this planet to understand why its not enough to be "good"....we have to be "obedient" to our Creator as well, so we don't destroy his handiwork by implementing our own ill conceived plans....no matter how good our intentions were.

I believe that the Creator has great plans for this Earth and maybe for other worlds in the eternity ahead, but only those who can willingly follow his instructions will get to enjoy that 'eternity'...in a world free from hate, violence, suffering and even death.

So, I have no hard feelings against those of different faiths....I just try to do as Jesus instructed and offer them the truth and a wonderful future. Sometimes the truth is confronting and sometimes God requires of us to put selfish interests aside and just do as we are told.....but many people do not want to live by someone else's rules...but we are all constrained in some way by the rules of others. At least God's rules cause no harm.

Neuropteron

Hello,
It would not be right for us to critize someone else belief, however God does express his pleasure or displeasure at the way a person exercisise his devotion to him even to the extend that he (God) rejects outright attempts for that person to approach him in prayer.
There are plenty of example in his word concerning the proper way to worship the true God Jehovah and example that condemn worship that is unnaceptable to him, as well as devotion directed to false God's.

Jesus broached on this subject when talking to a Samaritain woman tactfully pointing out that although her worship might have been sincere it was on the wrong track.
John 4:22 : "You worship what you do not know, we worship what we know.....23: true worshipers will worship the father with spirit and truth."

Paul in Rom10:2 is more direct when he states "they have a zeal for God, but not according to accurate knowledge".

cheers

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am not hostile, just want to know why people can say that something happend hundreds of years ago are to be blamed on muslims today