• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When you...

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When you look at other religions then the one you follow your self ( if you follow one that is)

Are you focusing on finding fault in other religions to back your own belief? ( if yes, why?)
Or do you mostly search to find what good other religions may offer their followers?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
No.

As I said previously, I think each individual as at a different level of understanding based upon their own perception of this reality and takes a worldview tailored to their individual needs, desires, and/or attachments.

74x12

When you look at other religions then the one you follow your self ( if you follow one that is)

Are you focusing on finding fault in other religions to back your own belief? ( if yes, why?)
Or do you mostly search to find what good other religions may offer their followers?
I look at the good and bad of other religions but I know the truth so either way it doesn't sway me.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Meher Baba's colophon contains my answer to the OP question. To me one meaning of "mastery in servitude" is that the true spiritual masters serve creation.

image.jpg

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I look for the ideas in other belief systems and subject them to the same type of analysis I would for my own beliefs: be skeptical at first, see if the ideas have some validity, and be open to new concepts.

I look for both good and bad. I look to see if some of the ideas are better than the ones in my current set of beliefs. But I also look for when they aren't as good or are incoherent.

It is my view that no belief system should be adopted before considering it in detail and none should be rejected until at least the basics are seen to be problematic.

MNoBody

personally my approach to this is more theosophical minded
I assume that all of these belief systems came from something that was deemed significant in the phenomenology, but over the millenia as people moved and language morphed time eroded away the core meanings, which were further twisted by internecine power struggles in each camp, the essentials were lost, and became debased
like corroded metal.
I analyze it all like a crash site forensics analyst.....and question everything....especially the ideas I favor.
Looking for whatever it was these ancient peoples had spent so much time and attention on.
sherlock holmes and indiana jones style.

InvestigateTruth

For me as a Bahai, I see, Bahai faith as fulfillment of prophecies in other religions, such as Islam, Christianity...Buddhism and Hinduism...Zoroastrianism.
Thus, I often when I looked at other religions, I see them as a previous faith which were revealed for older ages by God, and their prophecies about a future revelation, fulfilled by Manifestation of the Bab and Bahaullah.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I'm very suspicious about religions that at their core is about mere belief and buying in to it for fate or destiny sake.

Why do I need to buy in to something when reality is so deeply challenging in order to know something at all?

The red challenge flag comes out, and I perceive the religion as a human construct.

For me to follow a religion I need irrefutable proof.

My religion is written in pencil and is in an ongoing process of skepticism. Intuition is not enough. I need justified reasons.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
For me to follow a religion I need irrefutable proof.

My religion is written in pencil and is in an ongoing process of skepticism. Intuition is not enough. I need justified reasons.

One gets the sense of a search for coherence and meaning that leaves little more than a smudged paper trail. :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't look into other faiths much besides the basics. I expect and love diversity, and how other people view the world is great by me, unless it becomes personal, like if my neighbour comes by to preach. I have enough trouble understanding my own faith, let alone delving into others. it's like politics. I study out Canadian politics, as I have to vote. But the politics of Chile are of little interest to me. The only exception is the neighbour to the South, as they have a large influence on my country.

I don't really understand why folks feel they have to look into other religions. Seems way too much like some noisy gossipy neighbour putting her nose into where it doesn't belong. There is little real value in it.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I dont follow for belief. I use religion as a guide, not a master.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

I don't search for fault
I don't hide their faults either

IF faults of religions are not brought to the light THEN they will continue making their faults

Remember we talk about humans

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I suppose I look for flaws. Not only religion, I look for flaws in all thinking. Maybe religion especially though because people overly, IMO, depend on it.
Not that go around telling folks there religion is flawed unless it is the topic of conversation people are engaged it.

I mostly look for the flaw so I can understand the limitations of relying on certain beliefs/truths.